Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Large or Extra Large
  • dyna-ti

I’ve got an appointment to do a test ride for an ebike this Thursday FINALLY !
    I’m 6’3″, and usually the ‘chart’ suggests that height is an XL size, and my current bike(cove stiffee) is the XL 21″, and its actually a very good fit. I’ve been plagued with smaller bikes, thinking a XL over a L would be best suited.

The choice they have is a focus jam 6.8 29er and are suggesting that would probably suit me just as well, though I think thats the top end of the size chart recommendation.
    Theres probably about 30mm effective top tube length, usually a 50mm(Its a 150mm fork) and i dont want them to cobble together a longer stem arrangement and sort of shoehorn me into buying the large if the xl is really the bike i should be buying.

So question is, anyone here of my height riding the 2nd top size.

Plus I liked the focus as its quite versatile and can adapt to fit a 27.5 on the rear, which would drop the bb a bit, making it maybe just too small. I admit i dont know the in’s and out’s of geometry these days, usually just go with whatever xl i can get and fart about stem length, post length from there, making minor changes. But again i dont want to be sold the wrong thing.
    I have a degree of trust in the seller, but its a lot of an outlay, and you only get this type of choice the once.
    The only other they have in xl is the scott genius 920, but its a fair bit above the budget. I could stretch. but i still need things like a new lid, some new light and maybe a trailer and dont really want to blow the savings on it, plus certain aspects of it seem a bit of the cheap option, shimano m410 wheelset namely
    I suppost all i can do is wait, try and hope for the best. Plus everything’s gone up by quite a few hundred and thee 6.9 which would be a good choice spec/price

chakaping
    Free Member

A modern large will almost certainly be longer than your XL Cove.

So either L or XL bikes will probably feel fine to you. And if you’re looking at different brands, don’t expect them to be consistent anyway. One brand’s L may be the same as another’s XL.

Can you try some more modern bikes from friends and get a feel for the kind of reach figure that suits you?

dyna-ti

I know few people that actually ride, and what i have done has been at forum meets. But you’re right, cant know unless you try and see how it all feels.
    Just maybe a bit apprehensive now we’re coming down to the wire.

sillyoldman

It’s not a particularly long bike – I’d be on a large and am only 175cm. Personal preference is certainly a consideration, but at 6’3” I’d put you on an XL, or bigger if they made a bigger option.

Northwind

I’ve never ridden a bike that wouldn’t be better if it were longer yet, except for the really big ones which this isn’t.

But, dropper posts, can you fit a big dropper in it? That’s just about the only thing that might totally break one of them for me, and plenty of manufacturers are still making frames with poor dropper clearance even if you don’t size up.

dyna-ti

Post is a dropper(Jam 6.8) post modern PM-MT171,
    Spec is here. May7be someone more experienced than me can run an eye across the geometry, tell me what they think.
    https://www.focus-bikes.com/gb_en/1069721-jam-6-8?color_combo=95818

v7fmp

After looking at the geo, i would happily ride a Large and i’m only 5 foot 9 (but i like the whole longer bike trend). So at quite a bit taller, you might need an XL.

Hopefully they let you give it a decent pedal in your test ride to get a good feel for it.

intheborders
    Free Member

The XL Jam-e has the same reach as my L Cotic.

I’m 6’2″, but all my height is in my legs so if you’re a normal shaped person I reckon you wouldn’t want to go smaller than that XL.

kelvin

XL – all the way – one of many (good) eBikes way behind the times on geometry.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m 6ft3 and I’ve tried large bikes in the past and they have always been too small no matter how much of a bargain they were, they didn’t fit.

I had an XL 2016 stumpjumper which felt fine until I rode a new scandal and then it felt short and I had to replace it.

You really don’t want anything bigger than a 50mm stem!

Trust your instincts and go XL unless you want a playful bike to throw about and it let’s you run a longer dropper Post.

chiefgrooveguru

In a large that’s near identical in reach, stack and ETT to my large Levo – and you’re over 4” taller than me, so I’m sure you’d better on the XL.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve rode a Large, and at 6’1.5″ it was too small.

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve never regretted getting a frame 1 size up from suggested, only ever getting a bike slightly too small.

Shorter stem, saddle forward, if needed to fit.

IA

I’m 6’4” and I’d want something longer than the XL, by quite a bit. I could ride an XL tho.

L looks small on the numbers.

guandax
    Free Member
    tall_martin

I had a cove stiffee in xl/21″ for 15 years and loved it.

I did have to wear knee pads as my knees hit the bars most rides.

I’m on an XL geometron, an XL orange clockwork 120 and XL hello Dave now.

The hello Dave has a 35mm stem, the geometron has a 40mm and the clockwork has a 100mm stem. Theoretical that puts the handle bar in about the same place.

The geometron and hello Dave are much longer than the orange. I prefer the length now. It did take a few rides to adjust to it.

The hello Dave has a 35mm stem, the geometron has a 40mm and the clockwork has a 100mm stem. Theoretical that puts the handle bar in about the same place.

I’m 6″4

It’s all just personal preference. I rode the cove down the world cup track at fort William, did a couple of cross country races and did a couple of two week tours with camping gear.

If you gave me the choice, I’d always size up. But it’s not like like I was having less fun on the shorter bike.

I do crash less now. However, that could be all the extra practice or getting old!

ta11pau1

Also 6ft 3in and I always go for the biggest size, unless it’s something like a Geometron.

oikeith

I’m only 6’1 but I went from a Large to the equivalent of an XXL (511 reach) now and love it, I am more central on the bike when sat and pedalling up and also when stood and descending, with room to move my body weight forwards and backwards if needed.

Go XL but maybe even re look for a XXL bike, Specialized have S5 or S6, Santa Cruz do XXL’s

5lab

I’m 6’2 and ride an L instead of an XL on my trail bike, but it is already long (505 reach) – I didn’t feel like I needed the 530 reach on the XL.

reach is a compromise like most other things. My DH bike has a reach of around 440 and is certainly more manouverable than the trail bike. The way I ride, I would prefer something thats easier to pop/move about than just plough over everything.

sillyoldman

The XL Focus is only 495mm reach though. I’d expect the OP to need at least that.

dyna-ti

Well thanks to everyone who’s replied, pretty much a confirmation of what I hoped the felling was. I have over the last 20 or so bikes had a few that were XL sized(mainly down to only affording 2nds) and on the smaller 19/20″ always felt the cockpit was a bit tight, but not being that type of rider(no offence) I would lengthen the stem, lift the post and set the saddle back as far as it would go and maybe even angle the risers more forward to compensate. Getting an actual frame that fits off the bat is like a breath of fresh air, and given this is a hell of a price to be paying for a bike, I think and feel it should be correct or you’d not be drawn to enjoy riding it, and thats the main want and need for this ebike for me, as in to get out more after being stuck in for the last several years. To enjoy it as i did when i first discovered the freedom of cycling.

I’ll try my best to convey this during the test ride and pretty much have set my mind to refusing a L, no matter the spiel the shop comes out with, and also not to accept a lesser bike instead.
    Someone on another forum said ” brakes and spec will wear and be changed over the years so don’t get too obsessed. First and foremost is Geometry and which motor you want.” and thats spot on really.
    So again you all have my thanks 😀

dyna-ti

Just back from my ebike test, which didn’t actually happen
    They said when I arrived that they agreed and the large size wouldn’t suit, mainly due i think to the shop assistant being 6’2″.
    But what did come about was they’ve a Scott genius 920 coming in next week(or the following week at the outside) and it was the same money as the focus(£4999) and in XL
    Nothing else could be ordered in, and they’ve stated that theyu can no longer get focus bikes, supplies being what they are so I’ve agreed to the 920, which is probably a better deal.

Spec is similar, same fox dps performance evol shock, but the Scott is a fox 36 rhythm 160mm over the 34 on the focus and mostly syncros kit -dropper,rims,bars,stem etc
    Overall it looks ok, and I suppose I should be happy to get it sooner rather than a 3 month wait. certainly better fork than the focus for about the same money.
    A few let downs, brakes/wheels, but ive a new pair of E4’s and if theres any issues, i can always put them on, and no doubt down the line and being a hope fan, some pro 4’s will be making an appearance.

Never had a Scott. Be interesting to see how it all goes.

Thanks again for all the replies 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb.

You’re in Glasgow, are you not?

dyna-ti

I am yes.
    Just have to find some nice places to ride now.
    Made an error it was 4899.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Old kilpatricks, mine is due next week, gimme a shout if ye fancy it. 👍🏻

dyna-ti

Aye well we’ll see. Think im regretting slightly, it maybe too much towards enduro, though thats just the huge outlay of savings talking 😆 I’ll probably be having some weird dreams 😆

What is it youo’re getting ?

sillyoldman

Agee Nobeer – Old Kilpatricks is perfect for an E-Bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rail 9.8, canny wait to hammer that kilpatricks climb!

dyna-ti

Oh, flash carbon very nice. you’ll no doubt be out on it 15 minutes after it arriving.

Not applicable I know, but say you went for the purple scheme. That colour looks lush.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They only had the kinda red wine and black, wasn’t that bothered, then saw one in Tiso in Perth, and it’s pretty lovely looking!

Edit – it’s coming next wednesday, I’ll be up Fairlie moor on wednesday night!

joebristol

Having had a quick look at the spec it’s all solid enough stuff. I don’t think those brakes will have any less power than Hope E4’s – they just won’t last as long being Shimano and you can’t get spare seals etc.

I think the wheels are the weak point but the newer Shimano hubs are meant to be a lot better than older ones so I’d just ride them until they die then get something fancier.

Drivetrain looks ok and the 36 rhythm is solid.

Enjoy!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A fair few of my mates have Focus bikes, Jams, drifters, no probs at all, very good bikes. Same company as Santa Cruz IIRC?.

dyna-ti

“Enjoy”
    Will do cheers
    funny, i was looking at the bike i initially chose, the Scott axis in comparison to the genius, and the axis is lesser kit, heavier by 3kg and £250 more expensive. Even taking a rack,stand and lights into account the price still seems quite disproportional.Frames are identical, same geometry and everything.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Large or Extra Large’ is closed to new replies.