Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lands End mtbing
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Going to be down in Porthcurno for a week in August (performing at the Minack Theatre, y’know), and wondering if there is any good local singletrack? If not, I can take the gravelbike down just to get some balmy summer miles in.

the-muffin-man

… just to get some balmy summer miles in.

…squeezed against the stone walls by huge camper van after huge camper van! 🙂

Get in the sea or walk the coastal paths – far more relaxing.

dovebiker

There’s lots of good gravel riding once you get past Cape Cornwall – I’ve ridden the coast path from Land’s End to Cape Cornwall and a lot further (quieter in the evening) but a bit narrow and big drop-offs to sea cliffs. After Cape Cornwall there’s lots of old mining trails so plenty wide enough – head round to Botallack. Another good area is from Porthtowan around to Chapelporth and St Agnes. There’s also the ‘coast to coast’ from Portreath to Devoran (and back) on the old tram railway.

spacemonkey

I rode a lot of the coastal path back in the 2003 heatwave. Scorchio it was. No issues with any walkers (other than a rude German family). Amazing scenery, especially the primeval rocky drops into the waves below.

Rode inland too but nothing a gravel bike couldn’t handle.

orena45

If you’re on Faceache, join the ‘Penwith MTB’ group. They ride every Sunday…and like a good food stop on the way around. Good bunch to ride with. They’ll tell you where’s good to ride and where’s not as well if you ask nicely 😁

rossburton
    Free Member

What orena45 said, lots of good riding down there. Less in the summer as the coast paths are busier, but there’s still plenty to find.

Pz_Steve

Riding the coast path in August isn’t always stress-free. It’ll be pretty busy, at its most overgrown, and there’s very little that isn’t cheeky, so you’re likely to invoke the ire of the walkers. I’d say the Penwith moors are your best bet – also cheeky and overgrown, but much, much quieter. Probably not gravel-bike friendly, though.

I work at the Telegraph Museum in Porthcurno, and I’d be happy to fish out a map and give you some pointers if you call in. When are you down here?

colournoise

Following. Got a few days down near Sennen in August and will have the bike with me. Was just thinking of a big road/gravel loop up to the Coast to Coast and back but anything better I’m all ears for…

16stonepig
    Free Member

I work at the Telegraph Museum in Porthcurno, and I’d be happy to fish out a map and give you some pointers if you call in. When are you down here?

Actual legend! I’ll be there from 24th to 31st August, I will PM you nearer the time.

Ironically, I used to live in Marazion, many many years ago, but wasn’t into the whole cycling thing back then, unless you count doing skids on a BMX in the gravel car park.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Always think a fat bike would make sense for Cornwall, for when the tide is out and I imagine myself in the cool evening riding from cove to cove either round headlands or making the occasional up-and-over.

#wistful

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lands End mtbing’ is closed to new replies.