Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lance Armstrong to feature at bonfire night celebration
  • MSP

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

nealglover
    Free Member

a step too far ?

Only if you like getting all “Daily Mail” about things without knowing anything about it 🙄

…..
    Last year Manchester City footballer, striker Mario Balotelli, is the chosen celebrity because his house nearly burnt down after a friend set off some fireworks in his bathroom.

They are hardly making a serious political point are they ???

bullandbladder
    Free Member

No mate, I know nothing about it at all. Not a thing. 🙄

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not a step too far necessarily, but extremely bad taste. The guy was a cheating cyclist during a shameful era of the sport when the majority of riders were also cheating. Lance was just a better cheat than the rest of them. But despite that he has defeated cancer and will be an inspiration to many for that fact alone, and he has raised millions of dollars for charity through his foundation, which is a damn sight more than most of the worthless celebrities and Premiership footballers that are thrust upon us at every opportunity in the media. As a farther of two young kids I cringe at who they actually may start looking upto as role models. Good role models are few and far between these days.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

As a farther of two young kids I cringe at who they actually may start looking upto as role models. Good role models are few and far between these days.

err- thats your role pal……

nealglover
    Free Member

Wobbliscott,

Very good.

Cut and paste that onto the Daily Mail website. It’s almost perfect for their letters page.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Daily Mail, Daily Mail, yawn.

DezB
    Free Member

Being an avid reader of that letters page, you’d know eh Neal..

nealglover
    Free Member

Daily Mail, Daily Mail, yawn.

It’s not my fault, you started the “faux outrage” style topic.

Being an avid reader of that letters page, you’d know eh Neal..

Brilliant.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Actually, what I did was post a link to an article that might be of interest to fellow cyclists. If it offends your obviously deeply broadminded view of the world, I’m terribly sorry. Run along now, and let the grown-ups talk.

rewski
    Free Member

I know the town, most people won’t even know who lance Armstrong is, so major fail. What’s wrong with good old guy Fawkes?

atlaz
    Free Member

I believe it gets them attention from the national and local press and ensures more people turn up

wrecker
    Free Member

Cut and paste that onto the Daily Mail website. It’s almost perfect for their letters page.

Unreal. It seems that anyone who disagrees with anything just shouts “daily mail”. Lazy and completely off the mark in this case.
    Anyone cares enough about LA (or road cycling) to burn an effigy is just a sad case.

nealglover
    Free Member

If it offends your obviously deeply broadminded view of the world, I’m terribly sorry. Run along now, and let the grown-ups talk.[/b]

Did you come up with that yourself ?

It’s Really[/b] witty and clever.

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone cares enough about LA (or road cycling) to burn an effigy is just a sad case.

That is exactly my point.

Nobody involved in that story cares anything about Lance Armstrong or Cycling.

They pick a Different “celebrity” every year for a bit of fun.

They have done Tony Blair, Katy Price, Jonathan Ross etc.

It’s just for a laugh, nothing more.

It’s not like they are calling for him to be burned at the stake now is it ??

And the reason I mentioned the Daily Mail was because of comments like

“A step too far ?” – what “step” they are just having a bit of fun.

“As a farther of two young kids….” – take them to the bonfire, they will love it, and they certainly won’t take it as seriously as you seem to have.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

think of the children or some crap like that…..

grazedknees
    Free Member

The thing Im not sure about is that they have Lance wearing a Jim’ll fix it badge.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think wollychops’ post was rather anti daily mail. The DM brigade would be roaring for the cheating b*stards head on a stick.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If anyone thinks Lance is a good role model for their kids, I worry.

winston
    Free Member

move along now tourists, nothing to see. Loads of bonfire socs round ere, its a Sussex thing

You want a real party take your kids to my local, Lewes bonfire night

nealglover
    Free Member

Wrecker, it was the “As a farther of two young kids….” Bit.

It just sounded a bit “will somebody pleeeeease think of the children !”

What it is, is a bit of fun. It’s not a call for action, or a social uprising. It’s a bit of fun.

And anyone who thinks its “a step too far” or that its “in extremely bad taste” needs to get a grip on reality, or find something real to be worried about.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a step too far

What, compared to celebrating the successfull torture of an english mercinary who turned against the government then his being hung, his guts pulled out whilst he was still alive then cut into four?

And we clebrate that by burning a bonfire that emits more toxic funes than a city sized waste to energy incinerator does in a year and filling the air and waterways with the toxic by products of fireworks (all those pretty colours, thats metal/metal compounds burnign up)?

Yep, having an annual burning of a celebrity effigy is definately a step too far.

tomaso
    Free Member

Its all very well but they need to not lose sight of the original meaning of bonfire night and make sure they also have an effigy of the pope to burn too.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwhxqimPZ0[/video]

Remember, remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot
    I see no reason why gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, ’twas his intent
    To blow up the King and the Parliament
    Three score barrels of powder below
    Poor old England to overthrow
    By God’s providence he was catched
    With a dark lantern and burning match
    Holloa boys, holloa boys
    God save the King!
    Hip hip hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!

A penny loaf to feed ol’ Pope
    A farthing cheese to choke him
    A pint of beer to rinse it down
    A faggot of sticks to burn him
    Burn him in a tub of tar
    Burn him like a blazing star
    Burn his body from his head
    Then we’ll say ol’ Pope is dead.
    Hip hip hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lance Armstrong to feature at bonfire night celebration’ is closed to new replies.