Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lakes trails close to M6
  • thesquaredog
    Free Member

Heading up to the West Coast 7 Stanes from the Midlands next week.

Was thinking of riding Whinlatter on the way up but am considering a non trail centre ride in the lakes instead.

Can anyone please recommend me a route in the lakes that:-

Is not too far off the M6.
    Is not too epic or technical.
    Won’t be busy with walkers.
    Has a gpx file available so I don’t get lost.
    Is better than Whinlatter 🙂

Many thanks

Stu

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/90533543

Start at Pooley bridge out along UWB and back, we stopped at the wee cafe this time, but another time (that I can’t find!) we carried on to hartsop, then up to Knott and back along Satura crags, angle tarn, boredale hause. Awesome, only a wee push up onot the path on the Knott.

whitestone
    Free Member

One of the many variations on the loops around Kentmere and Staveley. Something like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/5268203260 looks a bit odd as we descended Three Rivers then did another loop to descend it again.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’d echo the Staveley recommendation, easy enough to do a loop, nothing super technical and death defying and means you can either sample the epic more bakery or kimis gelato shop afterwards if the weather is suitable!

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Many thanks for the suggestions, will take a look later.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to love a wee blast over to 3 rivers, haven’t been since they ‘improved’ it though!

richardkennerley

I used to love a wee blast over to 3 rivers, haven’t been since they ‘improved’ it though!

I went for the first time in a long time earlier this week, the improvements are somewhat depressing, but the improvements to the improvements put a smile on my face.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

kimis gelato

Worth the detour even if you don’t ride. Kimis is 🔥

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What day you going up, and how far were you wanting to ride?
    As per another thread, I’m trying to get out with different groups to get experience for my guide assessment*. Could maybe nip up from manc and show you some of the staveley stuff ( though probably not Nan Beild 😉

Unless of course you want to do Nan Bield….
    singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wanted-riders-south-lakes-or-peaks-%f0%9f%91%bf-weekend-or-midweek/page/2/#post-11865262

PS, totally agree with the Ullswater East Bridleway suggestion above. It’s brilliant.

*( No money involved)

beagle
    Free Member

For fewer people and access to M6 I’d head to sedburgh for the classic howgills loop.

Fitness levels/time available may make it ‘epic’ or not. Well worth it IMO.

I’ve been up there on a sunny bank holiday and seen only a couple of handfuls of other people all day.

vmgscot

Breasthigh Road starts right on the M6 at Tebay. Not better than Winlatter but good for easy access, very quiet area and not difficult.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions all.

@thegeneralist

Probably looking at 20-30Km, 500-750m of elevation gain but could be persuaded to do something longer if the trails or worth it 🙂

Two of us are travelling up Tuesday, expect we will be hitting the Staveley area about 12:00-13:00.

Will definitely take up the offer of a guide if you happen to be available 🙂

Stu

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tuesday, right. Will have a look at calendar at work

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi Stu
    Could you text me your number at some point.
    I might travel up Monday evening and work remotely Tuesday morning, so could do with knowing 100% that we’re on.

Cheers

carried on to hartsop, then up to Knott and back along Satura crags, angle tarn, boredale hause. Awesome, only a wee push up onot the path on the Knott.

Hi nobeer.
    Have you done Boredale Hause from either of the NE directions? Either up Boredale then down to Rooking or up Banner dale then down to Rooking, then back along the Ullswater bridleway….
    Any good, what’s it like?

<Edit. Found loads of info on fattyres, but more input welcome>

tomaso
    Free Member

There are 2 paths down from Boredale Hause towards Patterdale s/ Rooking, a lowl ine and a high line. Both steep and pitched, but low line ha kme ore natural sections and is loose in places. Nice grippy rocks, even when wet.

tomaso
    Free Member

Tebay aka Roundthwaite if it is dry isn’t half bad and definitely quiet.

Askam Fell near Helton is a good place to start a ride along Ullswater. Head for Cockpit and drop down to Howtown and then up Boredale Head and round to Boredale Hause and either go right to Patterdale and Lake shore path for a techy ride or round to left to Bedafell Knot and drop down the singletrack to Dalehead in Bannerdale. Both loops use the outward leg from Howton up to Askam Fell.

BenjiM

Park up at Tebay Truck Stop at Junction 38 or the Cross Keys Inn or even Orton, just up the road and there’s some quiet riding in the area, easy enough to make some nice loops. Very dry up there at the moment and riding well.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Met the chaps in Staveley and did a great ride over the normally boggy moor to Sadgill, back forth and round a bit. It was running beautifully. Think we found about four soft patches on the whole ride… And a few lovely descents

Cheers guys! Enjoy the Stanes 😜🤗

…….Conniston Thursday with t’missus. The Bash on Friday, and starting to hatch a potential plan for a bitta 4 passes on Saturday maybe…

Happy Days.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Great route and guiding by thegeneralist.

Thanks for a superb day out Alex 👍

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lakes trails close to M6’ is closed to new replies.