Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Laggan Wolftrax – what’s it like?
  • dirkpitt74

So we’re off to Scotland for a week in the Summer and have been told I can take the bike.

We’ve booked a cottage that looks to be just up the road (literally!) from Laggan.

What’s the trail centre like?

Will have the kids with me (8 & 12) so would be sticking to greens & blues with them but hoping I can have a crack at the other stuff too.

Thanks

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Great rocky fun.Rode the trails there last year . The black there is a blind crested quickly pick your line down the other side challenge-but a good buzz to ride it.
    There’s a fair old chunk of offpiste riding over the road from there too,but unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to explore it.

matt_outandabout

Ours rode it at 8…
    Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

Red – rocky, fast fun. Upper red is swoopy turns goodness, a bit of lower red too. A notch up in challenge from some trail centres, momentum is a good friend.

Airs Rock – bold, easy fun.

Orange your kids will love, just keep the speed down if they don’t usually jump… Swoopy, whippy, jumpy.

Black – see red trail, just noticeably steeper in places. Devils Chessboard gives me heebie-jeebies.

pothead
    Free Member

Not sure but I don’t think there’s a blue trail at Laggan, as said above it’s pretty rocky and it isn’t that big compared to some of the 7 stanes trail centres. It is definitely worth a look and the lower red trail and orange free ride shouldn’t be too much for kids if they are used to riding, there’s an upper and lower red trail ( lower has newer section with wide berms and small jumps, upper more natural ). The black is probably the best/ most technical trail centre stuff I’ve ridden apart from the top chief black at Nevis Range, which isn’t far away either and has more child friendly ( blue and green ) trails than Laggan

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The black is probably the best/ most technical trail centre stuff I’ve ridden

Agreed. It’s bloody brilliant.

Also agree with the thrust of what Moab says. The 12yo should be fine on the reds. 8yo might bed to be a bit selective though.

Dull as ditchwater climbs, which has the advantage that you can easily tow the kids up to keep them fresh or have a few runs

dirkpitt74

Thanks all, hoping to get to Nevis range too – might not do the DH track though.
    Laggan looks the be about a 15 minute ride from the cottage we’ve booked.

mrchrist

OP- are you staying at the Drey?

There is a bit of peddeling across the road too. Landrover tracks which create a pleasent loop. Nowt amazing but ok.

dirkpitt74

Don’t think there will be a problem with the 8 yo – she’s better than her older brother lol.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get across the road to laggan brown, brilliant trails.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

There is a blue, but its just a fire road. 2nd best trial centre in the uk imho. The brown side is fantastic, black probably the hardest “trail centre” trail there is.

jeffl

Did it last year as we were staying at a cottage about 10 minutes drive away. Used a hire bike and really enjoyed it. Did the orange and a couple of the reds, think there was an upper and lower start option for the red route.

Really enjoyed it. Had the bike for the morning and got a few runs in. The ride back up is a bit boring. Cafe is good and seems to be run by local folk as a bit of a community thing, savoury and sweet food both really tasty.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

2nd best trial centre in the uk imho.

Well, c’mon then you ……. don’t leave us hanging. Is it llandegla, Haldon or Glenlivet?

matt_outandabout

llandegla, Haldon or Glenlivet?

Swinley. Most definitely.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a demo booked in May so thought I’d better go give it a ride beforehand so a) I knew what I was riding (on someone else’s bike) and b) I didn’t embarrass myself stopping to walk a feature on a red on a 150mm 29er ‘enduro’ bike… 🤪

I started the upper red tentatively until I realised that it was all ride/rollable. Halfway down it I was fine (on my 130mm 29er HT). The lower red has one bit that I always forget about and have to stick a foot out for 🤷‍♂️

The bottom orange is as MOAB says, swoopy and really easy to get air. Even I can jump the table tops…

Just take yer time the first time round. I’m sure the kids will manage it better than you…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, c’mon then you ……. don’t leave us hanging. Is it llandegla, Haldon or Glenlivet?

Lake district, but only if you have a Scots passport and thus access to all the footpaths. 😊

chakaping
    Free Member

Was there last weekend, just rode the black/orange then spent a few hours across the road on the off-piste.

Trail centre was good and would have done more than one lap and also checked out the red bits, but I was on a 170mm bike. The black bits are nicely technical.

I think this is the “Devil’s Chessboard” mentioned above…

Trails I tried across the road were a mixed bag. One called Honey Monster (on trailforks) was brilliant, others were a bit dicey in the wet or lacking in gradient. Didn’t have time to check out the further-out trails though.

LD
    Free Member

As other have said brilliant wee trail centre, taster video below following 12yr old (if I can link). Only comment to add is that the upper red climb is techy goodness, a good challenge to complete dab free! Laggan brown stuff well worth a visit too.

Wee selection of Brown – filmed by 12 yr old.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Re best trail centre, comrie croft. Whomever said glenlivet needs to have a word with themselves, what a **** of a place to get to then a massive disappointment.

Top 5

1st. Comrie
    2nd. Laggan
    3rd. K Tree
    4th. Disneyland peebles
    5th. Golspie

matt_outandabout

Oooh, dat me in that video…

gavstorie
    Free Member

Top 5

1st. Laggan
    2nd. Comrie
    3rd. Golspie
    4th. Disneyland peebles
    5th. Kirroughtree

LD
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack, sorry OP, but last time I was there with notsominiLD we came down Ayres rock to find 4 riders perched on the top of the berm at the bottom. I mentioned to them that that might not be a good place to be and continued on up for another go. On reaching the top they approached me to say “There was plenty of space for you to get round!”. I tried to argue the sensibility of being there but they weren’t for accepting it. Perhaps wrongly my parting shot was “What if I crashed into you standing there”. The response was that would be my fault for “not riding in control”. I realise that strictly that is correct but….. Opinions?
    I only really care cause I was riding with my son who was obviously observing the exchange as well as being put in danger by their actions.

matt_outandabout

Opinions?

They were breaking rule no.1

dirkpitt74

Thanks all – looks good.
    Orange looks nice and flowey and the reds look like good fun.

Not sure whether to take HT or FS – both are 160 travel.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Laggan Wolftrax – what’s it like?’ is closed to new replies.