• This topic has 170 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Lady Gaga and BBC sexism
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In a way whereby the image that you portray is not incongruous with the sound that you output.

But I think I’ve already stated that about 5 times.

Bye.
    Surely the performer decides for themselves how they dress? They are artists expressing themselves and don’t have to adhere to rules about how to dress. Your argument is utterly without point.

DrJ

Surely the performer decides for themselves how they dress? They are artists expressing themselves and don’t have to adhere to rules about how to dress.

That’s the route to anarchy and chaos.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Influenced by Madonna is one thing but several of her records/performances are almost copyright infringement…

emsz
    Free Member

They are exactly the same, asking either if they are going to change their ways in order to attract a member of the opposite sex and settle into a traditionally prescribed lifestyle.

No they’re not because the ‘implication’ is that as a woman if you don’t change you’ll end up sad and lonely. No one would ever think that being alone at 65 for a man is a bad thing. Different standards apply

Plus of course that question would never be asked of male artist ” do you worry that your behaviour scares women off” because of course we all “know” women love a bad boy! 🙄 when the question of settling down is asked of a man, it’s done with a nudge and wink and the implication that all men should aspire to that behaviour and we all know that’s not how “nice” girls behave!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

because the ‘implication’

Which was implied by Debbie Harry, a female, hence the interviewer’s question as it clearly referenced her original statement. So was it Debbie Harry that was being sexist?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I would agree with others that she comes across very much as Madonna-esque in so much as the hit singles are generally quite catchy and good pop music. Not particularly ground breaking but that’s not a bad thing – not everything has to be ground breaking. Where it appears she is trying to be ground breaking is in her fashion style which is certainly “out there”. Given most of it is hugely impractical it is then clearly about publicity and making a statement.

She’s not a particularly attractive woman – but who cares about that? The trouble with pop is that it is very image conscious and the truth is she just aint that pretty. Perhaps some of the outrageous dressing and make up is in part her way of deflecting from the fact that she is not that pretty?

The records make her voice sound ok but listening to her live she is quite nasaly and there are definitely off pitch moments. Which suggests perhaps the use of autotune on the records. Again, is that such a problem provided she doesn’t get sold as a great singer because she isn’t.

Only time will tell how talented she is and whether she develops her writing and pens good songs. At the moment she is just another pop singer with a few catchy songs to her name and a reputation for being wild.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Influenced by Madonna is one thing but several of her records/performances are almost copyright infringement…

And Madonna openly admits she modelled her early incarnations on Marilyn Monroe so what is the problem?

molgrips
    Free Member

No they’re not because the ‘implication’ is that as a woman if you don’t change you’ll end up sad and lonely.

I didn’t see that at all…

The point about equality is to treat both genders equally. So if you ask a question and everyone else loads it with gender bias on your behalf, what’re you supposed to do?

Gender should be invisble.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like her, cos she puts on a great performance and all her outfits and videos and that are very visually striking.

As for ‘munting’; what a stupid thing to say. Cos she don’t meet up to certain criteria for conventional ‘beauty’. Anyone who calls her ‘ugly’ needs to examine just how much they’ve bin brainwashed by the media into thinking in a certain way. And I also think men like Hairychested are proper intimidated by her sexuality too. You like your women docile and submissive cos you’re basically insecure and somewhat emasculated…

I think she’s well hawt, and would happily take her out for a pint.

And I reckon she’d be up for a kebab after, too:

Mad as a box of frogs, wears meat for a dress. What’s not to like???

molgrips
    Free Member

And I reckon she’d be up for a kebab after, too:

Or even during. Those hot studio lights and all.

wears meat for a dress

The dress is one thing. The steak plonked on her head for a hat is genius 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My god, what a bunch of old men some of you are sounding

There’s a reason for that… 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! Nice one Woppit! 😆

McHamish
    Free Member

So was the question about her being a ‘bad girl’ or her being a bit of a wierdo.

Not sure it’s sexism to be honest…it’s just indicative of what people who give a toss want to know about. That’s why Heat and Ok magazine are popular because they ask the questions that certain people want to know.

Heat Reader Demographic;

Age: 16 – 34: 74% – Average age is 29, Gender Male: 40%, Female: 60%

Source Link

I expected a greater majority of female readers, perhaps if someone has access to an independant demographic report (any students in the library?)

I personally don’t give a toss…either about her love life or her success as an artiste. The only time I’ve looked at Heat magazine is when there’s someone hot on the cover.

Wozza
    Free Member

Lady Gaga isn’t a patch on Eric Cartman

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u2HsIaDg5s[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s wrong with being sexy?

grum
    Free Member

_tom_ – fair play, she sounds good there – I have heard her sound woefully bad too but she obviously can sing

What’s wrong with being sexy?

A) She’s not – she’s just trying desperately hard to be

B) Her ‘sexy’ image is the creation of a team of middle-aged male marketing executives

Personally I think making a fuss over non-issues like the OP demeans the genuine sexism that still prevails in other ways. Try getting angry about the gender pay gap instead of nonsense like this.

molgrips
    Free Member

She’s not – she’s just trying desperately hard to be

I’m really not sure she is…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

She’s not – she’s just trying desperately hard to be

Well as attractiveness is a purely subjective thing, that’s nothing more than your own onion.

Her ‘sexy’ image is the creation of a team of middle-aged male marketing executives

So she’s just a tool for their marketing games then? And you know this how?

kimbers

hahaha cartman is better than gaga for sure

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Her ‘sexy’ image is the creation of a team of middle-aged male marketing executives

Are you sure about that? I would read up a bit about her history, her early musical career, her eccentric style at school…

grum
    Free Member

You mean like here – when she was being compared to Norah Jones?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Or

Barely recognizable with her brown hair, Gaga was more into metal than the dance music she is now known for.

A source who knew her back in those days tells RadarOnline.com, “Stefani loved Motley Crue, she always asked for them whenever she requested songs from the DJ.

“She was really into her metal music and she always wore her black leather jacket – back in those days I always thought of her as a quiet metal girl, she never really had much of a personality, I had no idea she would transform into this outrageous dance music mega-star………..

“I know her ex boyfriend, he’s a music producer called Rob Fusari. Things ended on bad terms between the two of them, really bad – he’s suing her for $35million – you don’t get much worse than that!

“Rob claims that he came up with the name Lady Gaga and that he talked her into performing dance music instead of metal and he basically takes credit for her success and fame, but at the end of the day she’s the one out there, she’s the one making it work, she’s the one with the talent.”

EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: Lady Gaga Before She Was Famous

If you like her then fine, but don’t kid yourselves that she is anything other than a (very successfully marketed) product.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but you’re suggesting her ‘look’ and image is created by others, and I’m curious as to how you know this?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Grum, if you want to go trawling the interweb to back up your arguments, then I will join in….

Throughout 2007, Gaga collaborated with performance artist Lady Starlight, who helped create her on-stage fashions.[37] The pair began playing gigs at downtown club venues like the Mercury Lounge, The Bitter End, and the Rockwood Music Hall, with their live performance art piece known as “Lady Gaga and the Starlight Revue.”[38][39] Billed as “The Ultimate Pop Burlesque Rockshow”, their act was a low-fi tribute to 1970s variety acts.[40][41] In August 2007, Gaga and Starlight were invited to play at the American Lollapalooza music festival.[42] The show was critically acclaimed, and their performance received positive reviews.[19][38] Having initially focused on avant-garde electronic dance music, Gaga found her musical niche when she began to incorporate pop melodies and the glam rock of David Bowie and Queen into her music.[43]

You will see she collaborated with a performance artist to start defining her new image and was influenced by glam rock. No mention of middle aged marketing executives.

And as I have said before, I don’t really care for her that much but I can see she is successful and from what I can gather she can take many of the plaudits for that success herself. So well done Lady Gaga – personally I think she deserves her success.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Grum’s just bitter cos he seez himself as a ‘serious musician’ and is jealous that Lady G is more popliar and famous and rich for something he sees as of lower ‘value’ than his own work…

grum
    Free Member

It’s just how the pop industry works – every major pop artist has a team of marketing consultants etc controlling the ‘brand’.

Oh but look, maybe it is all her idea after all – in fact, she’s clearly a marketing genius, as well as feminist icon (according to the Guardian)

In an interview last winter, Lady Gaga recalled her anguish at being ignored as she performed at a bar filled with drunken NYU students. No one paid the slightest attention to her until, fed up, she decided to strip down to her lingerie. “I started playing in my underwear at the piano and I remember everyone was all of a sudden like ‘Whoa!’ And I said, ‘Yeah, you’re looking at me now, huh?’ “

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/25/lady-gaga-music-business-entertainment-marketing.html

🙄

Grum’s just bitter cos he seez himself as a ‘serious musician’ and is jealous that Lagy G is more popliar and famous and rich for something he sees as of lower ‘value’ than his own work…

If someone wants to give me the chance to ‘sell out’ I’ll bite their hand off.

I just think her image and music is crass and moronic – fair enough if that’s what appeals to you though

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah well why don’t you strip down to your pants while performing your music then maybe more people would pay attention to you?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So was it a middle-aged marketing executive that told her to strip to her underwear then? The article you have copied into your post suggests she decided to do it herself and I certainly wouldn’t argue that she has sexualised herself – that is quite evidently true.

Cougar

I didn’t see that at all…

Me neither.

We need to be careful, I think, to differentiate between what a presenter implies, and what a viewer infers.

Emsz, I’ve read this about six times now…

Plus of course that question would never be asked of male artist ” do you worry that your behaviour scares women off” because of course we all “know” women love a bad boy! when the question of settling down is asked of a man, it’s done with a nudge and wink and the implication that all men should aspire to that behaviour and we all know that’s not how “nice” girls behave!

… and I’m still not sure that I follow what you’re getting at. Maybe I’m just being thick, but you seem to be contradicting yourself all over the shop.

The way I’m reading this, you say that a man would never be asked about scaring off nice girls, then in the next sentence you say that when they are asked that question it’s tongue in cheek, and then that its what men should be aspiring to which was precisely your complaint about the original interview.

I’m genuinely not trolling or being awkward here, and hold my hand up that I’ve probably misread / misunderstood, but I’m really not sure what your argument is.

“They’d never ask a man that” is plainly not true, interviewers will ask men and women alike any old crap that comes into their heads. Asking about a star’s love life is pretty much default question two right after “so, I believe you’ve got a new album out?” Some interviewers don’t even bother with the first one.

I’d think it’s a reasonably safe guess that the motive behind the question was simply “you’re a bit unusual, does it affect your love life” (to which the answer of course is “yes, it weeds out all the boring blokes, it’s fantastic”); I doubt that the interviewer was sitting there wondering what she was doing on stage when she should’ve been in the kitchen making tea for her man and being bloody grateful for it.

TBH, I think the bigger issue here is perhaps that we’re still pointing a finger at anyone who dares to be a bit different and asking why they can’t be “normal” just like everyone else. Case in point, Sophie Lancaster.

chakaping
    Free Member

She’s a very good dresser-upper, and seems to be quite a pleasant person.

But if I was LGB or T I think I might resent how she seems to have elected herself as a gay icon.

And she’s reported to make £50m a year, surely that’s enough to buy some better songs?

grum
    Free Member

I think you’re both very naive about how the music industry works if you think her image is all her own doing. But yeah she clearly came up with the genius initial ‘concept’ of ‘I’m not going to wear many clothes’. Well done.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Grum – I have said it twice now – I don’t really care for her or her music but I am simply able to believe that this particular artist is responsible for much of her own success – being a song-writer, performer and singer, rather than a ‘Girl’s Aloud’ type manufactured act. And again, as said before, well done to her for that.

Cougar

I think you’re both very naive about how the music industry works if you think her image is all her own doing. But yeah she clearly came up with the genius initial ‘concept’ of ‘I’m not going to wear many clothes’. Well done.

Image and fashion is always going to be a collaboration, that’s hardly leftfield. My girlfriend gets haircut advice from her hairdresser.

Even if her “image” is wholly manufactured, I’m not sure what difference that makes. She’s still the one carrying off that image. If you took my sister(*) and stuck her inside a cow before parading her down the high street, that wouldn’t particularly secure a recording contract.

I would assume (rightly or wrongly, it doesn’t matter) that she would approach a designer, discuss requirements and ideas, and have a costume made. Much like any other performer.

(* – if I had one, which I don’t)

chakaping
    Free Member

got to side with M-F in this pointless debate

I’m sure she signs off on all the weird shit she wears

billysugger
    Free Member

She’s all steak nickers and no…something.

Seriously though if you can watch someone attending an awards ceremony being carried in an EGG and KEEP watching then you’re sad and that’s not just an opinion, it’s a fact.

I wouldn’t make her take that dress off to cook it.

She’s shit and you know she is. Ugly young girls buy music, I’m not sure anyone else does now

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seriously though if you can watch someone attending an awards ceremony being carried in an EGG and KEEP watching then you’re sad and that’s not just an opinion, it’s a fact.

Unless it was Freddie Mercury. He could have got away with that, I reckon.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, billysugger knows where it’s at.

Cougar

Ugly young girls buy music, I’m not sure anyone else does now

Is that statement sexist? Discuss.

grum
    Free Member

She’s shit and you know she is.

This was better than all my arguments.

Cougar

Unless it was Freddie Mercury. He could have got away with that, I reckon.

I wonder if an interviewer ever asked him whether his flamboyant persona scared off the ladies…?

emsz
    Free Member

I think what I resent cougar is the implication fromthe interviewer was that despite all her success and creativity, was she worried about not being able to actract a man and the example was, look at Debbie Harry. It’s as if all of her life was just about that sole thing. It’s a question that wouldn’t be asked of a bloke.

But yeah, my post was all over the place!! LOL

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Lady Gaga and BBC sexism’ is closed to new replies.