• This topic has 170 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • Lady Gaga and BBC sexism
  • DezB
    Free Member

I think the real problem is that she keeps dating paper gangstas and boys, boys, boys.

Read it in Heat, huh?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

everyone’s assuming that a) she wants a man and b) she wants a man.

I thought she was a man?

emsz
    Free Member

MSP asking a “bad” boy is he going to settle down with a good woman is not the same. ’cause his “worth” isn’t being measured by his chances of getting a wife ( it’s implied that he’ll have no trouble) asking a strong woman “do you worry about scaring men” implies if u carry on like this you’ll end up single and old ( like Debbie Harry)

Criticise her music, her marketing whatever. but let’s leave the sexism out of it!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Gaga is amarketing excercise. Personally, in the “off the wall” stakes with actual talent I prefer…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: But yeah, stupid interview, really. I daresay she’s managed to get someone to give her his “disease”, to quote her own magnificent magnum opus…

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 Woppitt

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really not sure how what was said could be construed as sexism. The observation was based on her personality, not on her sex.

DezB
    Free Member

you’ll end up single and old ( like Debbie Harry)

What a feminist statement! 😕

What has Bjork got to do with anything?!

molgrips
    Free Member

MSP asking a “bad” boy is he going to settle down with a good woman is not the same. ’cause his “worth” isn’t being measured by his chances of getting a wife

Not sure I agree there. Surely you are more likely to draw that conclusion if you start from a point of view that men are likely to think that about women in the first place? Which is in itself sexist?

If a person is a very strong character then they may be intimidating and off-putting to some others. Whether or not that person is male or female, or whether or not they are seeking a partner is not important, is it?

Unless you are making assumptions as to what the interviewer was really thinking.. which would be prejudice in itself…

Sounds like a fairly stupid question and a bit personal, but I don’t think you can simply assume sexist motivations.

Cougar

I thought she was a man?

I think Holy Moly scotched that rumour conclusively a couple of months ago.

I’ve wondered that for years.

MSP

emsz – Member

MSP asking a “bad” boy is he going to settle down with a good woman is not the same. ’cause his “worth” isn’t being measured by his chances of getting a wife ( it’s implied that he’ll have no trouble) asking a strong woman “do you worry about scaring men” implies if u carry on like this you’ll end up single and old ( like Debbie Harry)

Criticise her music, her marketing whatever. but let’s leave the sexism out of it!

They are exactly the same, asking either if they are going to change their ways in order to attract a member of the opposite sex and settle into a traditionally prescribed lifestyle.
    You are just filtering it through you own sexist perceptions in order to find offence.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Perhaps you didn’t read:

Personally, in the “off the wall” stakes with actual talent I prefer…

McHamish
    Free Member

She probably does frighten men off…mainly because she’s wierd.

I don’t know many men who would be happy to walk down the streen holding hands with someone dressed like some kind of dominatrix circus clown.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er I don’t think she dresses like that all the time…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Given the choice its Debbie Harry for me, even get the discount down at B and Q on Thursdays, cheap to take out too with the bus pass

Damn sight better looking at 65 than the Gaga person

McHamish
    Free Member

Er I don’t think she dresses like that all the time…

Probably not…but I don’t think I would be with my wife if she dressed like that at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would. I love a strong woman and I have an open mind 🙂

You do realise she’s a) disguising herself and b) taking the p*ss, don’t you?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 Woppit. Can I also add another talented nutcase highly individual character?

Cougar

I don’t know many men who would be happy to walk down the streen holding hands with someone dressed like some kind of dominatrix circus clown.

There’s as many (and arguably more) “unconventional” blokes in this world as there are unconventional women.

I suspect that if you took a straw poll of blokes and asked “Lada Gaga – would you?”, you’d get a higher result than you might think.

McHamish
    Free Member

“Lada Gaga – would you?”

That depends what you’re asking…date or one night stand?

McHamish
    Free Member

I would. I love a strong woman and I have an open mind

If my wife ever starts dressing like Lady Gaga I’ll point her in your direction 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

Or maybe I’ll just hide her wierd clothes and carry on as normal.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Gaga can certainly hold a note.

Tis amazing what Autotune can do these days.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think she has a cool stage personality and a great wardrobe. I certainly wouldn’t want my wife looking like that (I would never get her out of the bathroom, never mind down to Tesco to do the weekly shop), but I would love it if she was able to create such magnificent costumes and carry the look off like that.

trailmonkey

I’m in total agreement with Woppit on this.

I think there’s a huge gulf between the art house persona of Gaga and the rather limp, camp pop that she produces. Bjork on the other hand managed to match her bohemian persona with some quite original and quirky sounds.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I guess that just comes down to personal musical preferences though – not actual ability?

DrJ

I certainly wouldn’t want my wife looking like that (I would never get her out of the bathroom, never mind down to Tesco to do the weekly shop),

Wearing a dress made out of meat to do the shopping in Tesco would certainly create some difficulties at the checkout.

trailmonkey

I guess that just comes down to personal musical preferences though – not actual ability?

not really mf, i’m not saying that its good or bad( although my own preference my have flavoured my words ).

i’m trying to say that the image doesn’t match the genre of musical output.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bjork on the other hand managed to match her bohemian persona with some quite original and quirky sounds.

… which sound great on a really expensive HiFi that has cables pointed in the right direction and special silver psychic baffles suspended from the speaker tweeters…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You are saying she isn’t dressed correctly to do pop music?

DrJ

What does music have to do with anything in the … ummm … pop music industry?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wearing a dress made out of meat to do the shopping in Tesco would certainly create some difficulties at the checkout.

😆
    Not as much as it would at the Lentil & Hemp Vegetarian Cafe if she popped in for a fairtrade coffee with soya milk.

DezB
    Free Member

This is getting weird

trailmonkey

You are saying she isn’t dressed correctly to do pop music?

Easy enough.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Lad GaGaGa’s music is pretty much just a regurgitation of 20-year-old Madonna material, just with access to a more “look at me being all controversial” attention-seeking dressing up box.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Easy enough.

So what is the correct way of dressing to perform pop music?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No danger of a “Friday GaGa” then?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[PICTURE REMOVED BY THE MODS]

trailmonkey

In a way whereby the image that you portray is not incongruous with the sound that you output.

But I think I’ve already stated that about 5 times.

Bye.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My god, what a bunch of old men some of you are sounding. I don’t particularly care much for her music, but I can see why it is popular and she has certainly carved a niche for herself which has been taken notice of.

So what if she has been influenced by Madonna? Madonna was equally influenced by other artists when she was at the beginning of her career. So what?

At the end of the day she is a young woman who has done remarkably well and is one of the biggest-selling artists around at the moment but some of you can only say she is over-rated rubbish. Well clearly not by her intended audience….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Lady Gaga and BBC sexism’ is closed to new replies.