• This topic has 170 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • Lady Gaga and BBC sexism
  • emsz
    Free Member

so eating my porridge watching breakfast BBC and there’s an interview with her Gaganess. The interviewer mentions Debbie Harry ( a well worn role model cliche ) and the fact that she’s 65 and single, and that Debbie Harry had said perhaps she “intimidates men” the interviewer then asks Gaga whether she thinks she also intimidates men and does she worry about it!

So ignore the fact she’s a mould breaking artist and multiple million selling songwriter, no the most important thing? You’ll never get a husband like that, love!!

FFS 🙄

I’m gathering….I’m calm LoL

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did they even use a mould when they made her?

Jamie
    Free Member

So ignore the fact she’s a mould breaking artist

She is? Isn’t she just Madonna v2? …..and I mean that in a good way. Not a fan, but can see the merits of a good pop song.

Did they even use a mould when they made her?

Not sure. Apparently she was born this way.

DezB
    Free Member

May be a “mould breaking artist” but her pop music is distinctly average. What could the BBC ask about that?

grum
    Free Member

So ignore the fact she’s a mould breaking artist and multiple million selling songwriter, no the most important thing? You’ll never get a husband like that, love!!

Perhaps they should have asked her about how her marketing team managed to make her so successful despite making such dreadful music? Or why she feels the need to thrust her supposedly naked crotch in people’s faces on music videos. I’m sure it’s all about female empowerment eh.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

You’ll never get a husband like that, love

I agree, she is one of the ugliest munters I have ever seen, don’t get it at all, groundbreaking, what with, her nose?

emsz
    Free Member

Yeah maybe so ask her about that! Not what are your chances of getting a husband!

Jamie
    Free Member

I agree, she is one of the ugliest munters I have ever seen, don’t get it at all, groundbreaking, what with, her nose?

Erm….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tango Man – have you not read the new world order on behaving here?

This is the place for you…

http://www.Yetisforumforsexualdegredation.com

binners

emsz, emsz – calm down dear. And don’t worry your pretty little head about such matters 😉

Seriously though – I don’t think the comparison with Debbie Harry stacks up. Her music was genuinely groundbreaking. And she fueled the masturbatory fantasies of an entire generation

Lady Gaga scores low on both counts there

grum
    Free Member

Yeah maybe so ask her about that! Not what are your chances of getting a husband!

I dunno, maybe if you shamelessly court publicity through using sexual imagery, you can’t be that surprised if people dont take you seriously?

Hairychested
    Free Member

She’s ugly, can’t sing, wouldn’t touch her even if it meant no sex for a very long time. She sings? You call it singing? I’d say she’d get booted out of any karaoke place by the time she got to the chorus.
    Shame they even invited her, should’ve shown Richmond Park views instead.

_tom_
    Free Member

She’s a pretty good singer actually.

grum
    Free Member

She’s really not. I saw a bit of a live performance and it was dreadful. I suspect she mimes most of the time though.

MSP

Its a fairly standard question for both sexes, if they had a man on the show with a bit of a wild reputation (such as Colin farrell), they would ask something similar about settling down and getting married etc, its your perception that she was treated differently because she is a women that is actually sexist.

DezB
    Free Member

Hairychested sounding like someone’s dad there.

I’d actually like to know why, if she holds artists like David Bowie in such high regard, does she make such ordinary pop music, instead of genuinely being a ground breaking artiste.
    So yes, there are more interesting subjects to get into for an interviewer.
    She wears nice hats too.

DezB
    Free Member

Time for my son’s favourite joke:

How do you make Lady Ga Ga cry?

Hairychested
    Free Member

😀
    To answer your question – the fact she holds artists such as David Bowie in high regard doesn’t mean she can sing. All it does mean is that she should know what decent music and what to aspire to. As things stand she’s a munter who can’t sing.

emsz
    Free Member

I dunno, maybe if you shamelessly court publicity through using sexual imagery

The entire music industry is based on this, hadn’t you noticed?

The point is the interviewer was measuring her worth based on the fact that she hadn’t “got” a man!! It’s the same old **** story.

philconsequence
    Free Member

@dezB…. poke her face?

finbar
    Free Member

There’s a difference between “can’t sing” and “i don’t like her music”. Gaga can certainly hold a note.

Hairychested
    Free Member

She can certainly hold a note

Problems arise when she needs to hold more than one.

philconsequence
    Free Member

she’s done nothing musically that stands out from the rest of the pop-machine, definitely nothing ground-breaking that i’ve heard, but willing to be proved wrong and admit so if someone can show me some of her music (i’m assuming she writes her own lyrics and all the instrumental parts? otherwise other people should be getting credit for being ground-breaking no?) that’s ground-breaking.

agreed that a male artist would be asked the same question, sorry emsz!

thepurist

Saw a bit of that over brekko. Yes the interview was hardly about her music, but there again she produces very average music – as in it’s perfect pop, targeted at the teen market but still accessible to the radio 2 brigade. She’d never be as famous if she produced more ‘interesting’ music – eg. The Flaming Lips, a group who take on stage performance to a new level but produce something a little less mainstream.

The entire music industry is based on this, hadn’t you noticed?

Nope, it’s just the chart based pop industry that’s all about producing glossy airbrushed crush-icons – I have no idea what a lot of artists I listen to look like, nor do I care.

Mark_K

Is it just me that thinks of the Emperor’s new cloths when ever i see or hear her!!!!
    Tbh i dont see whats so good about her! average (at best) pop music and bonkers dresses hardly ground breaking imho ????
    But then I’m over 40 so what do i know lol

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s a cynical way of looking at it.

For many people finding a partner is an important part of life. So should questions on the subject be taboo? Admittedly it’s a bit personal for a BBC breakfast interview.

If a man had been asked if he intimidated women, would you have thought the same thing?

*just raising issues, not justifying sexism here*

_tom_
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDCDHCOn1l8[/video]

yes, terrible singer 😉 Miles ahead of anything else in the charts (not that that should be an indicator of talent though, I suppose)

Kuco

Never seen the fascination with her, just run of the mill pop music to me with an out their image thats be done before by past generations. But I’m not exactly the age group her marketing team is aiming at.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think the real problem is that she keeps dating paper gangstas and boys, boys, boys. If she learnt from her experience of bad romance and played by the rules of the love game there is a chance she’ll find a future love. However it’s wonderfully clear from her choice of fancy pants and fashion combined with the way she courts the paparazzi that she’s suffering from overwhelming vanity.

Personally I think she’s a monster and there’s noway I’d poker face, not even in a retro physical sense, not once let alone again, again. Not even for money, honey.

KABOOM!

Cougar

I think it’s ironic that on a thread on sexism everyone’s assuming that a) she wants a man and b) she wants a man. (I’m also not convinced it’s sexism particularly; Would it be any different it was Lord Gaga being asked if he scares off women? Crap journalism, yes.)

Caught a chunk of her Big Weekend performance on telly the other day. My thoughts were on similar lines to Jamie’s, “when I grow up, I want to be Madonna.” Not that that’s a bad thing per sé, though neither particularly did it for me either musically or fantasy-wise. Regardless, if she keeps going the way she is, she’s going to be massive in a few years.

monksie
    Free Member

I don’t think that was the point he was trying to make at all but then again, it would be true if he had meant that.
    She’s got no chance! She needs to buck her ideas up or she’ll be right on the top shelf. She’ll regret it in years to come when all her mates have a husband and she hasn’t.

MSP

Nah, the irony is that a thread on sexism is itself sexist.

swavis

Is she wearing assos bib bibs there? 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

I thought the interview was cringeworthy TBH. I expected a little bit more from the BBC.
    I personally think GAGA is very clever in how she markets herself and can actually sing. But then again I’m 33 and don’t belong on grumpy old men.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s ironic that on a thread on sexism everyone’s assuming that a) she wants a man and b) she wants a man

Are we?

Nah, the irony is that a thread on sexism is itself sexist.

Spot on 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Give me Polly Jean any day.

Cougar

“everyone’s assuming”

Are we?

Sorry, rash generalisation, I’m not at my best Before Coffee. Please read “most people are assuming” here.

DezB
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

@dezB
    …. poke her face?

Yes! (sorry for delay, work interrupted 🙂 )

john_drummer
    Free Member

I saw the R1BW performance & while I’m not a fan (although mrs_d is) I can say a couple of things

1) she can put on a good show
    2) she can sing
    3) she can write and perform good catchy pop songs

What more can you ask from a musician?

MSP

I personally think GAGA is very clever in how she markets herself

Whats so clever about it? Its just a corporate decision made by a record company to give a massive marketing budget for a project, the same was done for Madonna, brit spears and others. What amazes me is that the media laps it all up instead of just ignoring it, I guess its a cheaper option than journalism.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Lady Gaga and BBC sexism’ is closed to new replies.