Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • KS Lev dropper post top cap not unscrewing
  • dreednya

Want to service my KS lev dropper by unscrewing the top cap, giving it a clean and adding grease. But will it undo – no. What have others used in such a situation to get the top cap undone? I’m a bit worried about using a wrench as I don’t want to crush anything. Tried a bit of inner tube to give more grip but it won’t budge. Ideas?

ico86

Really silly question but does it definitely unscrew? I only ask because I had the same issue then looked closer and the collar on my 2020 LEV is not a separate part. I couldn’t find any tech help on the KS website except the exploded diagram which confirmed this.
    Turns out you have to hammer the inner post and keys up to knock the seal out the top of the outer post, which is pretty minging as disassembly procedures go. In short:
    – Remove lower mechanism from outer sleeve and inner shaft (circlip then unscrew)
    – Slide something (ideally a tube of some sort over the protruding shaft) up inside the outer sleeve to push against the bottom of the inner post
    – A few sharp taps with a hammer to drive the seal and bushing out the top of the outer post
    – Try not to drop all of the little keys.

There is a video on YouTube but it took some finding, it’s not hard but doesn’t feel great.

dreednya

thanks ico86, you may be on to something there. On older KS posts it definitely did and you could clean and then put grease underneath and then screw back on while the post was still on the bike. I’ll check some schematics

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The ks droppers are serviced from below do no unscrew the collar as you’ll make a mess only to find it doesn’t unscrew
    There is a good guide on YouTube if you do a simple search you will need to fashion a bolt and nit to aid popping the post apart

dreednya

Thanks Big-Bud, I’ll take a look. Older models let you put grease under the collar to extend service intervals, but I guess that’s now out of the question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘KS Lev dropper post top cap not unscrewing’ is closed to new replies.