• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 69er.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kona Unit 29er
  • fenred
    Free Member

Anyone got/ridden one?

Fancy giving the rigid/29er thing a bash and looks like it would make a good, cheap winter hack…Any views?

Bernaard
    Free Member

Had one and wish I had never sold it now

Ran it singlespeed rigid and loved it

Feel sad now 8(

goot
    Free Member

Got a Kona Big unit 29”.

its ok, Fox F29 forks. still a pretty brutal ride though.

light and pretty quick .

Did Wiggle 6 and Bristol 12 singlespeed and Mayhem 24 geared on mine.

I bought it second hand. It’s the older scandium version and too small for me with too much seat post showing. Despite that, it’s outlasted a brand new Lynskey and Gary Fisher combined.

Keef
    Free Member

heavy but very comfortable all day bike,still got my old frame,did 280 miles on it in the last three weeks ! niner carbons,or exotics,SS of course.
    it’s going semi-skimmed next week ……

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Done Kielder 100 on mine twice (failed twice), Mary Townley countless times, CRC marathons and love it (its the only MTB I own)

Weighes in a 20.5 pounds for a 20 inch frame with Arch/Hope wheels, Thomson bits and afterburner chainset.

I rolls fast, eats up miles, handles better than its rider and does everything I need as an XC/all day rider.

I often think about a nice carbon hardtail or full suss but quickly get over it.

MoreCashThanDash

Can we quit with the threads on how great cheap 29ers can be, please.

I’m desperately resisting the urge to dabble with money I don’t have…

fenred
    Free Member

Gents, thanks for the feedback! I’m inspired…I’m a buyer 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bought mine as a pub bike after basically giving up mountainbiking….that was 5 years ago and because of it I ride more now than I ever have.Even though it was superceded by a scandal (could’nt ignore losing 2lb for racing) I will never sell ‘Morris’ and it will shortly be rebuilt as a 2 speed semi fat bike 😀

manxambassador
    Free Member

I’ve got an 09 Unit, its the bike I always go back to if I want some fun. Very few places I struggle with the standard SS gearing although I was wondering if I could fit an alfine hub in it to get a few extra hills under my belt, although I guess that detracts from the simplicity it.

Dont think about it, just buy one !

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This is mine, I got it to try the 29er thing and I’m smitten. Really is a nice riding bike and is one of my most used. Its the Dedacci(sp?) tubed model with cro moto’s and running singlespeed. I’ve considered changing it quite a few times but really find its hard to fault with the only downside being it can be hard to get the front end airbourne. Definitely suits picking its way down technical stuff rather than hucking off it, the new Honzo might work for that though….

69er
    Free Member

The downside is the mudshelf they’ve cunningly built into the seatstays….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kona Unit 29er’ is closed to new replies.