Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Tour de france climbs…….done any?
  • ton

done the climb from brides le bain up to the altiport above courcheval, also done the col de pailheres in the pyrenees.

hats off to these bloke on the tour for the speed the ride em…..drugs or no drugs. 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Telegraphe, Galibier and Alpe D’Huez. They’re all “interesting” climbs right enough.

iamtheresurrection

We did the TT route up Grenoble about ten years ago. About two thirds of the way up my HR had been at 190+ for about 30 minutes when I started losing colour from my vision and I thought I was about to die. I backed off at that point.

I was pretty fit at the time but still about two or three times slower than the pros that went up two days later…

Northwind

We did the Port de Bales when we were in the Pyrenees, not a lot of fun on a big trail bike with fat sticky tyres on… I thought I might have to be humanely destroyed at the top. 1125 metres of climb with some sections over 11%, gah.

GW
    Free Member

Drove up the Col du Turmalet to ride the 11km descent.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Done more of the Giro ones TBH.. Only done D’Huez and Tormalett..

MSP

Done Mont Ventoux, up the three different routes, after all it is the duty of every English man with a bike to visit the Tom Simpson memorial.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Colombiere, Aravis, Isoard, alpe d’huez, galibier, forclaz, ventuox… plus a few I can’t remember right now. Did a few of these as 100 mile days, most I’ve done from both sides and seen the Tour pass over the Colombiere in 2010. Fantastic rides all of them.

allthegear
    Free Member

Done the climb from Morzine to Avoriaz. On a borrowed bike, with borrowed size 11 roadie shoes…

Rachel

edit – and before anyone says anything – no – they were waaaay too big!

RealMan
    Free Member

Ventoux three times (in one day), tourmalet, aspin, mente, and a few others. Got a date with d’huez in a month or so..

crazy-legs

We did the TT route up Grenoble about ten years ago

I’ve done that Mountain TT route from Grenoble too. The only thing I remember about it was having a really nice banana spilt with loads of ice cream in a cafe at the top. 🙂

Done a couple of the ones around Luchon in the Pyrenees and around Morzine in the Alps. Never done any of the “big” ones like Alpe d’Huez or Galibier. One day…

ton

i rode uphill for 2 hrs 45 mins on the pailheres.
    i cried at the top.

damo2576
    Free Member

Done Ventoux, about 12 mins slower than Contador so was quite happy with that.

Edit – that was with a Camelbak on too

peteimpreza

Alpe d’Huez( 10 times) ,Co du Galibier, Col du Glandon,Col de la Coix de Fer, Les Deaux Alpes

Col d’Ichere, Col de Marie Blanque, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Soulor

soulrider
    Free Member

Col D’Izoard From Gillestrie

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ventoux and Tourmalet.

RealMan- 3 times in one day- you Jenson?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Done alp d’huez a couple of times…. in a car, and a bs too

will
    Free Member

Just come back from doing the Etape. So yes.

Telegraphe
    Galibier
    Alpe d huez

All amazing climbs 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

i rode uphill for 2 hrs 45 mins on the pailheres.
    i cried at the top.

was there no cafe 😀

TheSwede
    Free Member

Alpe d’huez in a transit van. It was painful.

vondally
    Free Member

perysoude,aspin,tourmelat,port de bales,superbagneres,portillon,aspet,
    used a yeti asr-sl and then on last trip a maverick ml8, on aspet overtook a Japanese bloke on a folding brompton in a trilby and plus 4’s Respect!

slugwash
    Free Member

Not actualy in France but I felt that this thread needed a picture…. 🙂

Cat 1 Hill Climb, Andalucia. Possibly from the Vuelta.

Deveron53
    Free Member

That climb they do at the end, you know to get those flowers and the teddy and kiss from the rent-a-slag. They do 3, I do 14 at a time.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Col du Glandon, Col du Telegraph, Col du Galibier, Alpe d’Huez and Ventoux

Picto
    Free Member

Alpe d huez
    Col de Joux Plane
    Col de Colombiere (both sides and the Col de Romme)
    Col de Croix le Fry
    Col des Aravis
    Col des Saisies

cynic-al
    Free Member

Done a few on a loaded tourer, they must be easy on racing bikes.

maccruiskeen

Ventoux with my trailer and camping gear. And the ominously named col du mort.

jameso

Riding Alpine cols on a nice road bike has to be one of the best riding experiences.
    We watched the Tour a couple of years ago from the top of the st bernard, after they passed through the gendarmes let all the bikes go first down a clear road back to the town, it was like the mega for roadies ) mental descent.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve descended down to the Croix de Fer on an mtb event, does that count?

simondbarnes

I’ve ridden up Portsdown Hill. Does that count?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Col de Petit Saint Bernard on a Heckler with coil shocks and 2.5″ super-tackys!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

whilst staying at Bikevillage Madelaine(both sides),Cormet de Roseland(both sides)Petit Bernard,Isseran,Croix de Ferre,Glandon,Alpe d’Huez,Saise,the finishes up to Courcheval,La Plagne,Les Arcs,Les Deux Alpes who said it was only for mountainbike holidays 😉 :mrgreen:

Sixam
    Free Member

Cols d’Aubisque & du Soulor, de Tourmalet, d’Aspin, de Peyresaude, d’Aspet, de Port, du Poymorens all on the Raid Pyrenees. Tourmalet, Aspin & Peyresaude consecutively was an unbelievable day. The descents are definitely worth the climbs!

RealMan
    Free Member

Peyresaude

How could I forget, done that one too. Felt like it was about 40 degrees, and bloody hurt.

3 times in one day- you Jenson?

😕 ?

JoB
    Free Member

Ditchling Beacon

amodicumofgnar

Yes but not big ones – followed by the 2009 tour on the Pontalier – Verbier stage as far as Yverdon les Bains. Its a really good way to ride into Switzerland and the descent from Ste-Croix is awsome if a little scary at mission speed with panniers.

Wibble89
    Free Member

I did a few between school and university, the three hardest consecutive days were probably:

Col d’Aubisque
    Col du Soulor
    Col du Tormalet

Col de Aspin
    Col de peyresourde
    Col de Mente
    Col de Port d’Aspet (edit: this could have been 2 days, the pain is too much to be able to remember)

Col de la Core
    Col d’Agnes
    Port de lers

sofatester
    Free Member

Col de Petit Saint Bernard on a Heckler with coil shocks and 2.5″ super-tackys!

Is you willy not getting a bit cold from all the waving your doing there?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Col De Farthing Common, probably every 3 or 4 months. So i can honestly say have ridden a TDF col at least 100 times

wingnuts

Done Alpe d’Huez, Madeline, Telegraph, Laurent Galibier but most enjoyable was les Deux Alpes in 2001. Rode it just before the Tour went up. Wasn’t expecting the road to be open but when I saw some people going up I went back to the car and got the bike. Totally not expected to be able to do it. Was about the last rider the police let through. The crowds were fantastic and gave me special attention as I was wearing a yellow tee shirt ……… and baggies and a floppy sun hat. The Dutch were really partying. Think I got on Danish TV as I kept up with some minor celeb who was being filmed while riding up. He was obviously being helped/encouraged by the former pro Bo Hamburger who was doing the chatting to the celeb, camera van, crowd etc. Nice block with perfect English. Hardly breathing as he chatted while I gasped. Magic day apart from the descent after the stage was spoilt by the crowds walking down blocking the road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Tour de france climbs…….done any?’ is closed to new replies.