Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Knowing interesting planes are taking off
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

I live relatively close to Doncaster Airport, today a 747 took off which is unusual for that airport. I’ve also seen an A380 leaving (both since Covid, assume they were being stored there?) And I heard an (the?) Antov leaving at night as it was bloody loud. This departure was talked of in the news.

So the question I have is is there any website that lets plane spotters know planned flights. Obviously domestic flights are shown the airport website but these are not that exciting.

lerk
    Free Member

Have a look at Doncaster airport movements group on Facebook.

You’ll find that 747s are common as muck at the minute!

The Antonov you heard was a Illushin – last time we had an antonov in it left in daylight and THE antonov hasn’t been for several years now!

Yes I’m a sad act!

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers! Requested to join Facebook group.

Something flew over that was very loud though 🤔

phil5556

The Antonov is due in Prestwick tomorrow I think.

lerk
    Free Member

Any of the russian stuff is loud and usually climb like they are just barely able to fly away from the curvature of the earth!

slowoldman

I lived there when Vulcans used it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Some sort of sea plane just flew over my town (Strathaven), at abut 5pm. I was kinda excited. I couldn’t get to Flight Radar in time though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I lived there when Vulcans used it.

I was there later. Twice!

The Antonov mentioned above has a twitter account which is worth a follow if you’re geeky like that.

boggie62
    Free Member

The Antonov An225 has just departed Bangor Maine and due to land at Prestwick around 3pm.

gobuchul
    Free Member
    phil5556

@codybrennan

Some sort of sea plane just flew over my town (Strathaven), at abut 5pm. I was kinda excited. I couldn’t get to Flight Radar in time though.

Was it small and yellow?

codybrennan
    Free Member

It was similar in size to the ones that used to dot about Loch Lomond, Phil, but was disappearing into some cloud by the time I saw it. From that distance it may or may not have been yellow.

stretch…
    Free Member

There’s a 727 that lives at Donny airport, that’s fairly loud. Not sure but I think they were banned from a lot of airports because of the noise. Easy to spot – it’s red and white

patagonian
    Free Member

Red and white 727 – isn’t that the pollution control plane?

phil5556

It was similar in size to the ones that used to dot about Loch Lomond, Phil, but was disappearing into some cloud by the time I saw it. From that distance it may or may not have been yellow.

This was flying yesterday over Galloway area I think, not quite sure if it came as far up as Strathaven https://g-odip.weebly.com/

G-DRAM was out the day before too.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Oh my God. Prestwick is mental busy with plane w*****s just now. Must be lockdown fever, this bloody 225 comes here every 3/4 months and never seen a crowd like this.

Phil…DRAM and WeeVans we’re out messing above Loch Lomond, but it wasn’t him over Strathaven-I’m sat next to Captain Ham 😎

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers all, I heard about flight radar on here so knew there was some flying knowledge on here.

Regarding the Vulcan, I wasn’t living in Rotherham then but saw the grounded one at Woodford many times 👍🏻

midlifecrashes

There’s a pretty active group on facebook, google “dsa spotters” and it’ll be first hit. Also dsaf.co.uk and it’s facebook group. Both of these facebook groups have gone private in the past few months, so message their mods if you want in.

747s are common right now, there is a twice weekly run from Nairobi bringing cut flowers, fruit and veg. There has also been a frequent 747 from Baku bring in health PPE.

lerk
    Free Member

dsaf recently flounced because they want people to pay for information…

ratt1er
    Free Member

I miss the Vulcan flying. It was epic, the sound was like it actually tearing a hole through the sky. I was lucky to see the last one flying a few times before it got grounded.

Now it makes me sad.

ElShalimo

I was walking up near Appleby a few weeks ago and through my binoculars you could see the V22 Ospreys doing “stuff” on the fell. They’re a lot bigger than I thought they’d be, even from a long distance. Very weird things indeed !

phil5556

Phil…DRAM and WeeVans we’re out messing above Loch Lomond, but it wasn’t him over Strathaven-I’m sat next to Captain Ham 😎

It was them disturbing me in my garden on their way home though 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I miss the Vulcan flying. It was epic, the sound was like it actually tearing a hole through the sky.

I was at the Queens Silver Jubilee airshow at Finningley in 1977, there was a 4 Vulcan ‘scramble’. The earth shook, as you can imagine. Never heard or seen anything like it before or since. (apart from watching Vulcan XM610 crash)

I was walking up near Appleby a few weeks ago and through my binoculars you could see the V22 Ospreys doing “stuff” on the fell.

We were at Threlkeld last week & 2 Ospreys went over the site really low. Weren’t dawdling either.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Knowing interesting planes are taking off’ is closed to new replies.