Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Knocking from pedal?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

2 years to the day since I was gifted some lovely ultegra pedals one or both of them have developed a loud and distinctive knocking when under pressure.

I swapped them temporarily for Mrs Mcavennie’s pedals and went for a ride this morning where I couldn’t feel or hear the knocking.

I guess that there is a bearing issue bit wondered whether anyone thinks it’s worth cleaning and regreasing or if the knocking suggests that the bearings and probably the spindle assembly is fubar’ed?

At £40 for a replacement spindle assembly and £80 for new pedals, I guess my mind is made up for me if the spindle is gone…

lovewookie

Without having them apart it’s going to be difficult to be certain. Could be anything from a bit of grit in the bearing, or pitted bearing surfaces/bearings, or cracked bearing rattling around.

They’re easy enough to split open, the axle assembly just slides out once the locking collar is undone. clean it up, a good skoosh with gt85 would do it, look for any visual signs of corrosion/wear. if it doesn’t seem bad, half fill the pedal body with grease and refit the axle. Excess grease will push it’s way out of the pedal as you tighten the lock nut up.

If the knocking is still there, new assembly/bearings/pedal, depending on what you can be botehred sorting 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ta, will give it a go.

lovewookie

I should say as well, when you have the axle assembly in your hand, check for any play between the axle and the end cup section bit the bearings are in (see image)

so from that image you have (bottom right to top left):
    lock nut
    cone
    bearings
    cup section (with the bearings in both ends)
    locking collar
    axle

it’s play in the bearings your looking for. The locking collar should be relatively loose.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Knocking from pedal?’ is closed to new replies.