Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Knee pads start to rub – solutions?
  • a11y

I’ve neen using the same type of kneepads for years – IXS Flow – but they’ve started to rub my kneecaps raw on rides during the past 6 weeks. Supremely comfortable up until then and nothing’s changed that I’m aware of. These are my second pair of these pads and I’ve been using this set for approx 18 months. A short 1-2hr evening ride is enough to cause rawness. Not particularly warm or sweaty rides either (Scotland).

Currently lathering my raw skin in Sudocreme to aid recovery and wondering about slapping some on when wearing my pads – likely to make a mess of them perhaps, but wondering if this might work in the same way as arse cream for saddle comfort.

I also thought about wearing some thin knee warmers underneath them but can’t find anything available that’s not thick/thermal. I’ve seen reference to lycra DHB ones in the past but they no longer appear to be available.

Has anyone experienced similar, and what was your solution?

Thanks.

luke0912
    Free Member

I get the same thing from my raceface pads, they have a microfiber like inner that contacts my knee caps. I find a really good scrub with a brush and some fairy liquid keeps them going for a bit longer but ultimately it means the end is near. I usually get about 18-24 months out of a pair seems a waste to bin an otherwise perfect pad but there’s nothing worse than rubbing your skin away on a ride

ta11pau1

I get a bit of chafing on the back of my knees on long day rides, a bit of chamois cream on the area does the job.

colournoise

My pads rub in very specific places. I usually use a bit of self adhesive support tape to protect those spots. Works well for me, but might not be so good if your rubbing areas are larger?

singlespeedstu

I use a bit of Assos arse lard if my pads start rubbing.

hairychainsaw

Bum Butter.. you can get it in the Singletrack shop

tomnavman
    Free Member

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bodyglide-anti-chafing-balm-42g

I’ve been using this for a few years with great results

kimbers

+1 chamois cream

zerocool

When was the last time you washed them? That often sorts out the problem. Maybe with some antibacterial sports kit wash for good measure.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Vaseline was my solution…..never an issue since.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I also had the same issue with raceface pads. Knees were incredibly itchy after using them. Think it’s something to do with the lining

I now have a pair of poc knee pads and a spare set of bliss knee pads.

No rubbing or itching since.

gavstorie
    Free Member

handybendyhendo

Vaseline was my solution…..never an issue since.

+1

a11y

Thanks all. I’ll start by rewashing the pads again, although I’ve already tried that a few weeks ago since the problem started. I’ll chuck some Napisan in with the wash for antibac approach.

I’ve already got some Vaseline so could try but was concerned it’ll make a mess of the pads. The more natural things like bum butter or ST salvation might be less messy with the kneepad fabric perhaps?

survivor

Friend of mine struggled with this I occasionally would as well.

He found that the pads would become clogged with dead skin and knee smeg I guess! Washing alone didn’t remove it.

A quick scrub with a hard bristle brush when dry and before washing loosens this up. It’s surprising how much can come out.

JackHammer

I had similar, used to put on sudocrem under the pads before I set off. Worked pretty well.

barney
    Free Member

Personally I’ve found that washing them sorts out the issue with mine (TLD 5450s, or OU812s, or something)…

zerocool

Give them a good scrub with a soft brush

mikeyp

You should probably buy some new pads. Mine did this and it was annoying as the fronts were fine but the soft material had just worn and become more abrasive. if you think about it it’s the back that gets all the wear on your knee.

gkeeffe

+2 for chamois creme. But bttr in my case.

seanr
    Free Member

Definitely try washing them as that is my solution but depends on the pad and also i find fabric softner helps, but i can remove the pads from mine before washing.

tall_martin

I use chamois cream.

I’ve stitched a silk tie in one pair or raceface pads and that’s gone well.

I tried some silk from a sleeping bag liner. Its ripped with a single line of stitching, I’m going to go back and try two layer of silk and two lines of stitching.

a11y

He found that the pads would become clogged with dead skin and knee smeg I guess! Washing alone didn’t remove it.

A quick scrub with a hard bristle brush when dry and before washing loosens this up. It’s surprising how much can come out.

Update: thanks to the above suggestion from @survivor, I’m back to having comfy pads. They’d been previously cleaned recently, or so I thought. I turned them inside out and gave them a scrub with a stuff brush when dry then repeated in some warm water. It was pure mingin’ what came off them! I guess a small build up of dead skin cloggin the pads then exacerbated the problem by causing more rubbing and more dead skin clogging the pads. I’ve since worn them on half a dozen rides inc a meaty 36km/1600m day at Golfie at the weekend and no rubbign whatsoever. It probably helped that circumstances meant I rode without pads for 8 days, allowing my skin to recover also. I’ll just be more thorough with a scrubbing when cleaning them in future.

survivor

Woohoo.. I’ve won the internets today…

Glad it worked out for you @a11y

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.