Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Knee Pads, Riding Trousers and Rubbing
  • v7fmp

So i have two pairs of knee pads, some lightweight 7iDP’s and some more substantial Fox ones.

On a recent ride my lightweight pads rubbed the living shite out of my knees, leaving them red and rather tender. we were riding for 4 hours-ish, so a fair amount of time, with plenty of climbing/peddaling.

I have had these pads for quite a while and not experienced this before. A buddy suggested it was due to the trousers rubbing on them and subsequently the pads rubbing on me. Wearing trousers over them means its much harder to give them a readjustment, as i would if i was wearing shorts.

I dont have any intentions of getting rid of the pads, as that seems wasteful and as said it only happens with trousers (well…. thus far, only with my new fox trousers. previous ones have been fine).

So is there an easy solution to avoid this in future? The already mentioned buddy uses chamois cream to help his knees. But i would rather have something more permanent. a tubigrip or similar on before the pad? but that doesnt effect the pads ability to stay in place.

I am keen to hear any solutions that you have found.

cheers!

kayak23

I am keen to hear any solutions that you have found.

I wear 3/4 lycras and put the top of the pads under the hem of them.
    I then wear mtb shorts or troos on top.
    No slippage

Years ago I used to use these knee sleeves from 661 that basically gripped your leg and helped stop the pad slipping. Not sure if such a thing exists now.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not the trews.

Put chamois cream on your knees – that will probably solve it.

If not, you’ve got some frayed or pokey-out bits that are irritating your skin.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Lycra knee warmers under?

v7fmp

@chakaping – my only thought it on being the trousers is they are new and i havent experienced this before. I will try chamois cream in future. And defo investigate if there is anything that could be adding to the rub. It was consistent across both knees.

@kayak23
    – good stuff. slippage is what i want to avoid, but sounds like you didnt get any, so another avenue to look at.

@thebrick
    – good shout! might be worth a punt.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ok there could be something peculiar with the trews if they are tight round the knees or something, but get that chamois cream on in the first instance.

I started doing it to address chafing and it’s been a game changer, several pals have tried it on my advice and had good results.

mashr

Not sure about you, but any additional material under my trousers and I’d cook. With the knee warmers its also worth considering that (same with tubi grips) they can start bunching up behind the knee, so might cause other issues

snotrag

I wear 3/4 lycras and put the top of the pads under the hem of them.
    I then wear mtb shorts or troos on top.
    No slippage

This – I used to get bother with pads slipping etc until I worked out how to pull them up and the pull the grippy seam of my bib shorts over the top of them – its a bit ‘stockings and suspenders’ but it does work!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Knee Pads, Riding Trousers and Rubbing’ is closed to new replies.