Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knee pads for knobbly knees?
  • asbrooks

Sorry another thread about knee pads…. but hear me out.

A childhood illness has left me knees that turn slightly inwards when stand upright. So, finding knee pads that fit me and stay in place has always been tricky. Buying new pads is always hit and miss for me, I buy online because there’s not a decent bike shop near me (Leicester) that has a good selection and you can never quite tell that they will like after a couple of rides.

I did find that Dainese Trail skins lite (the old type) fitted quite well, however during last summer they finally gave up the ghost and I have struggled to find something to replace them with. In fact there was very little around so ended up with the nukeproof critical knee sleeve because that was all I could get. I ordered large and medium, the medium wouldn’t fit so ended up with large. 6 months later they have stretched so much that they no longer fit, they move around and offer no protection when called upon. Plus they wear my knees red raw. Worst purchase ever.

I think what made the Dainses one so good was the strap that sits just above my calf. I know everyone is different, was just wondering who else has a similar problem and what did you end up with?

enigmas
    Free Member

I was the same as you – I actually ended up recently having de-rotational surgery to correct it but for the years before I tried several knee pads.

The two I liked alot were the Poc Joint VPDs (not the air) and Raceface roam D30’s. Both in a larger size than I perhaps really needed.

asbrooks

@enigmas out of interest how long was the recovery? I’ve never been offered the operation, I don’t have any other issues yet.

Del

Without wishing to dismiss your concerns out of hand I think most people are lucky if the first ones they try are Bob on. Get some that are a little too tight to start and a tub of sudocream 😉

enigmas
    Free Member

I had de-rotational tibial osteotomies on both legs using taylor frames – not fun at all, with ~4 months in a frame on each leg plus 2 months after removal before any real exercise – basically a year out of my life but I was 25 when I had the ops – I’d have had arthritis at 30 if I didn’t. But it did work completely and my knees are straight and pain free so worth it in my case.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads for knobbly knees?’ is closed to new replies.