Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Knee Arthroscopy recovery time
  • ktmracer
    Free Member

Hi,

I had a knee arthroscopy procedure two weeks ago to remove damaged cartilage.
    I have seen a physio who advises getting back on the road bike gradually after a few more days of stretching.
    Has anyone had this done? How long before you were back properly mountain biking?

Pat

mattbilliard
    Free Member

I had mine done last year. I hobbled around for a few days and back on the mountain bike after about 3 weeks. My doctor said get back on as soon as you’re comfortable doing so

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had one a few years ago, can’t remember the name of what they removed, but it wasn’t cartilage so in theory it should have been quick and easy.

I think it was about 6 weeks for the swelling to go down and I saw the consultant, then it was light turbo stuff and swimming for quite a while as I could only just get it over TDC. If you’ve got movement back sooner then you’re probably in a better boat than I was.

I think the opperation was May, and I went on a propper MTB ride in September but it was a year at least before I could go out for rides regularly without worying about the cumulative effects building up and resulting in another lay-off.

My advice would be to take it easy.

ktmracer
    Free Member

Thanks Matt! I have been off the bike for a while now with pain before surgery.

I can’t wait to get back out on the bike
    Pat

Spud

I was laid up for a month after mine, cartilage repair and some grinding! Could only just drive after 4 weeks. I guess it depends on the individual and the op, and importantly what your medical team say!

ktmracer
    Free Member

Thanks Thisisnotaspoon.
    Thankfully the swelling went down in a few days. I have seen the consultant who said to build it up slow.
    The physio is happy with the flexibility I have so it’s just a matter of building the muscles up to support the knee.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Knee Arthroscopy recovery time’ is closed to new replies.