Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Klunker ideas
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Humour me…

I would like to create something vaguely like this glorious monster, but using less cash money than going custom. I’m hoping someone has a tip for something amazingly suitable that I haven’t thought of.

Main good things needed:

– not useless as a bike for actually knocking about on and riding some light trails;
    – looks pants-wettingly amazing (at least when it’s finished) probably in a fairly retro way;
    – able to take a good, solid front rack for serious loading when needed.

Some thoughts on what to use…
    I have a Jones Plus (LWB) which could be downgraded with a Jones Unicrown fork to take a suitable front rack. Feels a bit of a shame to mess with such a sorted bike really…
    Transition Klunker would have been good, but not available.
    Ditto Kona A’ha.
    Stooge is a possible, but the fork eyelets don’t support the obvious front rack choices. The Jones unicrown might work, or drilling the bottom of the steerer is a possibility.
    Surly Lowside fork doesn’t have any rack fitments at all.

Send me your reckons! 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Just be done with it & send your credit card to Retrotec & Paul. Anything less will always result in pineing for the above beauty.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Transition Klunker perhaps? There’s a few on eBay.

qwerty
    Free Member
    sharkattack

Start with this- LINK

He’s having a laugh with the price but there’s always at least one for sale. I can’t think of a better base for a custom klunker that won’t be stupid money.

EDIT: Beaten by my own 1 finger typing.

simondbarnes

Get hold of an old Raleigh Bomber and add a front rack.

kayla1
    Free Member

Not a swoopy top tube frame or anything, but could the same kind of thing not be achieved with an old shape BFe or a Switchback? An old Sunn BMiX might tick the box too.

ajantom

Kona Humuhumu? Probably more easily available than most.

Houns

Carver Newsboy Ti frames on eBay

miketually
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be too difficult/expensive to have a second toptube added to any another frame? Get one of the new On-One Bootzipper frames when they’re available and have it modified?

letmetalktomark

I’m part of the way there:

how many tubes

View this post on Instagram

This weeks #filletfriday is brought to you by @letmetalktomark’s Singular. . . We ruined the paint, but also added an additional top tube to give it a klunker aesthetic and added a plethora of cable guides to make it a lot more Rohloff speedhub friendly. . . This thing is awesome, I either want to keep it or build myself something similar!

A post shared by August Bicycles Ltd (@augustbicycles) on

molgrips
    Free Member

able to take a good, solid front rack for serious loading when needed

I wouldn’t put serious load on a front rack. At least not one connected to the fork. It makes the handling rather difficult.

Don’t discount the option of starting with a steel frame and having it modified with braze on racks etc.

Or just get a Stooge Speedball.

funkmasterp

Speedball

Matt_SS_xc

Pi at http://www.clandestine.cc is who you need to speak to. From full custom to a bit of frame mod and rack.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Funkmasterp that looks amazing.

funkmasterp

Funkmasterp that looks amazing.

Thanks. It’s a great bike. I’ve been Stooge curious for a while and really glad that I’ve finally got one. It’s my only bike and a great compromise. Fast enough for commuting and general duties, comfy for longer off road rides and a capable hooligan. An all round nice place to be sat and more importantly makes me smile whenever I look at it.

tthew

Although it doesn’t have the two top-tubes, a Van Dessel WTF has the look of that klunker.

Not sure if expensive, or very available because I’ve never really dared look too hard. Here’s an American one so you can see what they look like.

WT actual F.

tthew

Here, have a photo.

funkmasterp

Ooh that is nice

tthew

Isn’t it just. I’ve set up an auto search on eBay. 🙄 Not sure if it would will replace my SS MTB or DayOne commuter.

RustyNissanPrairie

Here’s my Transition Klunker. I got fed up waiting for the Charge Bikes Klunker so started watching on eBay, this came up and I bought it for a good price. Its used for local pub rides and taking the dog out – he loves ‘Klunker walks’!

I was going to lace in some Sturmey drum brake hubs but the coaster brake is fine once you get used to it.

jamj1974

One of the new Koski framesets?

wzzzz
    Free Member

weld a tube onto an on-one bootzipper

squirrelking
    Free Member

Never seen one despite looking. On the other hand Klunkers are ten ja penny. I can guess which one gets old quicker.

If you’re interested in trying the Stooge I think they will have one at the Steel Is Real demo day in FoD. Start of October.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Get thee to Walmart:

ajantom

Never seen one despite looking

Hmmm, assumed they would be as they were still making & selling them until 2017.

An old On-One Inbred with an extra tube welded in might make a good klunker base.

Frame for £50-60, tube mig/tig welded in by a local fabrication place for £50 or so, rattle can paint scheme. Job jobbed.

ajantom

Klunkers are great!
    Here’s mine 😎

klunker

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Funkmasterp that looks the absolute nuts!

Top drawer.

Bez

Fairdale make/made a few vaguely klunkery/cruisery models: Taj, Coaster, Weekender, Flyer. They don’t seem to be as easy to get hold of as they were a few years ago, but there are some retailers out there.

epicyclo

A few variations on the theme

With springer fork

Rigid fork

It was actually an experiment with a Magic Ratio belt drive.

Was going to resurrect it for summer but I’ve ended up in Oz.

RustyNissanPrairie

Ajantom – remove that fork and front wheel immediately! It’s either drum brake or skid inducing coaster brake only on a Klunker-certainly no disc brake!

trumpton
    Free Member

single speed looks hard work.

ajantom

Ajantom – remove that fork and front wheel immediately! It’s either drum brake or skid inducing coaster brake only on a Klunker-certainly no disc brake!

I had to, I was riding it on some proper steep singletrack, and the previous time with only a rear brake I nearly died!

You’ll be happy to know that it’s now been reinstated to a rear only drum brake 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chaps, this has been a happy thread to read. Thank you all for your ideas and pictures! 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m not sure this ti Humu even counts, but WOW.

qwerty
    Free Member

How’s about a Sour, Bad Granny?

https://sour.bike/en/shop/models/269/bad-granny?c=122

squirrelking
    Free Member

How’s about a Sour, Bad Granny?

Sploosh!

son-of-mike
    Free Member

@kayla1 An old Sunn BMiX you say? I shall oblige (image posting skills permitting);
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hb8Rjh]BMiX[/url] by Graham A, on Flickr

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Klunker ideas’ is closed to new replies.