Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • kitting out a home gym – what to buy?
  • julians
    Free Member

We now have a spare room in the house, so we were going to kit it out as a home gym, the only issue is that I have no idea about home gym equipment, whats good/whats bad etc etc.

So , Can anyone suggest any decent brands/models to look at for the following items

– A multigym machine/station
    – treadmill (with incline function)
    – cross trainer
    – rowing machine

I’ve already got a decent turbo trainer I can use, so no need for a bike.

I’m not necessarily looking for high end stuff, but dont want any cheap tat that will fail or wear out in short order, I guess I’m looking for good value sturdy reliably equipment.

Any suggestions of where to buy , what to buy etc etc would be welcome.

This site seems to have some decent s/h stuff

Cable machine

sc-xc

What are your goals?

I kitted out a home gym in the last place (single garage). I spent a fortune – hex dumbbells from 4-35kg, squat rack with cable attachment & 200kg of plates, 90kg bag, loads of bars, TV linked to Beachbody/Les Mills subs for cardio. It was great…

but I moved, and now spend £20 per month at the local 24/7 spit and sawdust and it is way better. All the machines, loads of space, I go at 5am so very quiet.

If the bedroom is on the first floor I’d be wary of putting too much weight up there, and if the treadmill I use at the gym is anything to go by you won’t be using it when other people are trying to sleep!

EDIT: To answer your question, I used Powerhouse Fitness for most of my gear.

zilog6128

As above, what are you actually trying to achieve? Replicate the equipment at a commercial gym? Do you use one already (if so, what equipment do you use there?)

julians
    Free Member

If the bedroom is on the first floor I’d be wary of putting too much weight up there, and if the treadmill I use at the gym is anything to go by you won’t be using it when other people are trying to sleep!

this will be in a detached single garage at the bottom of the garden , so no issues with noise etc. I wasnt going to go to town with it, just paint the brick walls with white masonry paint, put some reasonable plastic floor tiles down, some better lighting, maybe a cheap stereo.

Goals? Just general fitness and toning really, need to start doing some strength work as I feel my age is catching up with me a little (nearly 50), figured that if I had some gym equipment at the bottom of the garden I’m likely to use it versus signing up for gym membership. Not looking to enter any Mr universe competitions as a result.

The mrs is also keen, wants it for general cardio and toning.

We used to be members of the local total fitness club about 15 years ago (before children) , not looking to replicate commercial stuff, just looking for reasonable home quality gym stuff.

I was more looking for recommendations of decent home gym equipment brands to look into, or ones to definitely avoid.

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

We have a multigym a bit like this and a cross trainer in the garage.

Both are fine but tbh I don’t use them much and spend a lot more time using Kettlebells and a Decathlon TRX copy.

Edit: yes to white walls, good lighting, bigdug flooring and decent wifi (that’s my biggest headache with it)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Barbell, squat rack and bench. OR the TRX/bodyweight stuff and kettle bells. Maybe a rowing machine.

All other stuff is miserable. Just go for a run outside if you want cardio.

sc-xc

In that case, Powerhouse is great. Also scour Facebook for things like treadmills.

If you wanted to mix your cardio up, don’t rule out a telly and some of the streaming services. I got really fit by doing Insanity Max 30 for a few months – it is just 30 minutes a day and flies by.

I put a cheap laminate floor down in my garage with a couple of thick fitness mats (and plenty of towels around to keep the sweat at bay).

chakaping
    Free Member

Rowing machines can be pretty big, and treadmills seem redundant in a garage (why not just go for a run?).

I’d start with the weight-based stuff and see if you do actually use it because…

figured that if I had some gym equipment at the bottom of the garden I’m likely to use it versus signing up for gym membership

… you may find it’s the opposite of this. I have to go to the actual gym to do strength training, I can’t get into the habit of doing it at home (though I just have kettlebells).

joshvegas
    Free Member

rowing machines are quite big i guess but the concept 2 (and why would you get anythign else) stands up on end by design and its pretty squared away like that.

DrP

treadmills seem redundant in a garage (why not just go for a run?).

I guess if I got a treadmill, my argument to this would be that I can’t leave the kids alone at home, but still want to run (single dad blah blah blah..).
    Since getting my turbo, i’ve been able to fit in 45-60 minute ‘rides’ in the morning whilst the kids are asleet/just waking up, or when they’ve got back from school and are chilling on an ipad..

YES… a run or ride IRL is better (well, different), but don’t assume everyone has the freedom you may have!

DrP

MSP

Start with a wall mounted squat rack, barbell and some weights.

When I was a member of a gym, I found it really difficult to motivate myself to go there, working out at home is so much better for me. Just last night I had a workout planned, normally I get home after work, have a bit of fruit or something, sit down and relax for half an hour then workout if scheduled. Last night after I sat down I was just knackered, but after 90 mins or so I was feeling up for it and went and did my workout, if I had to actually go somewhere else I would have just written the workout off.

This is what I have built up over the years

IMG_0246

IMG_0247

I did have a full set of concept ergs, but didn’t really get the use out of them that the cost warranted, so sold them for a profit when they were scarce last year.

scruff9252

treadmills seem redundant in a garage (why not just go for a run?).

I was very much of this opinion ’til I got one from a neighbour during the first lockdown. Whilst If I were to run 10-15km then there are some brilliant runs to be had from my door. A short 30min/5kmish run outside will have me crossing quite a few/running alongside busy roads and interrupting the general flow.

The treadmill on the other hand is set up, with a tablet on the wall mounted at eye level with dedicated bluetooth cheapo headphones. I can turn the power on, press play on the tablet and have a run with zero fuss & easy enough to sneak a run in during the working day too.

I probably wouldn’t spend £1k on one, but second hand they often go for around the price of a pub meal out – well worth having at that price IMO. Same rationale as to why have a turbo instead of cycling outside.

zilog6128

When I was a member of a gym, I found it really difficult to motivate myself to go there, working out at home is so much better for me.

horses for courses though – I have a full power cage setup, olympic bar etc (which IMO is all you really need for a home gym) which I used religiously for years… but for some reason now just cannot motivate myself so joined a local gym that does small group PT sessions which is working out much better at the moment!

(Although personally I think barbell lifts are the best, you really need to get someone to teach you how to do it properly or at least give a lot of thought to your form to avoid injury. The same’s obviously true of any exercise, kettlebells etc, but perhaps more critical when you’ve got 100+ kg of weight on your back!)

With regards to what’s a waste of time to have at home or not – IMO anything which you’re actually going to use, and get benefit from, is the right thing to have! But maybe if I wasn’t sure what I wanted I’d concentrate on making the “gym” a nice space, and start off with small, versatile stuff like KBs etc, and go from there. I personally wouldn’t bother with multi-gym stations, etc, but it might work for you.

I literally spend the first hour+ at the gym using this for a multitude of upper body exercises

Technogym

footflaps

A multigym machine/station

Just get free weights – so much more versatile and better for you.

We have a home gym in the workshop:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24BcGVF]Workshop gym[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Since tidied up the free weights with some shelves…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kmaFDh]Kettlebell and Dumbbell storage[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

julians
    Free Member

Some great ideas there, liking your photos of your home gyms – keep em coming.

As for why have a treadmill because you can just run outside instead- its the same reason as I have a turbo trainer – the weather might be crap, or I might have to stay at home because I need to keep an eye on the kids etc etc, many reasons.

The budget for this is maybe up to £3k – I already have the flooring down in the garage & a good quality turbo trainer . So up to £3k for paint, lights, and the rest of the gym kit.

mccraque

I wouldn’t say ours is a home gym by any stretch but the garage did evolve in lockdown and I was having Zoom PT sessions in there with my remote trainer during the time gyms were shut. Felt utterly rinsed at the end of each one. My equipment –

Bench
    Barbell / dumbbells and various weight plates (not huge stacks but enough to wear you out!)
    Dip Bars from Lidl
    TRX (this is brilliant for versatility)
    Balance plate
    Kettlebell (16kg)
    Ab Wheel
    A few interlocking rubber mats from Halfords
    Turbo Trainer with Zwift

beej

Treadmill – after a bunch of research we got a JTX Sprint 7 about 18 months ago, works well. I’d quite like a smart treadmill to work with Zwift, but I use a footpod instead and I doubt a smart one would really make much difference.

https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-sprint7-motorised-home-treadmill

I wanted one sturdy enough and fast enough with decent incline.

footflaps

As for why have a treadmill because you can just run outside instead- its the same reason as I have a turbo trainer – the weather might be crap,

I never minded running in the rain, but going out on the bike when it is wet takes a lot more motivation!

But if you have to kids to look after, different reason entirely.

BillOddie

Barbell, squat rack and bench.

That’s what I have plus a 20kg kettlebell, adjustable dumbbells that take Olympic plates, 150kg of Oly plates, a cheap as chips pulley system that uses the plates, a few bands and a safety squat bar.

I bought stuff i would actually use and I knew I would not do cardio inside, you might be different.

Rubber Horse stable mats make great gym flooring.

MSP

Rubber Horse stable mats make great gym flooring.

I bought some 2cm thick ETM matting, they are ideal, cost me a couple of hundred euros to cover the floor. Horse stall matts get a lot of love on reddit and youtube etc but I think that because you can get them a lot cheaper in the US, wasn’t cheap when I tried to source them in Germany.

I would stear clear of those crappy interlocking tiles.

chakaping
    Free Member

Totally understand indoors running/riding is a necessity for some.

I assume the OP at nearly 50 probably doesn’t have young kids though.

My train of thought was more that the OP’s plan seems ambitious and the treadmill would be the first item to go, if it were me.

I can see the appeal of a rowing machine more, as an activity which is much less convenient to replicate outdoors.

julians
    Free Member

I assume the OP at nearly 50 probably doesn’t have young kids though

10 yo, so not long to go before I can leave him on his own,but I’ve still got the crappy weather to contend with.

My train of thought was more that the OP’s plan seems ambitious

I don’t think the plan is especially ambitious , it’s a total spend of less than a decent full sus bike.

ta11pau1

I’d have a proper squat rack/power cage that can be used for bench press, can have cable attachments etc etc. Then a cushioned mat for deadlifts/rows, and lastly some dumbbells and kettle bells.

Add in a turbo trainer, big TV for zwift/TV while working out and you’re golden.

Oh and air con. Because sod working out in a sweat box when it’s 30 degrees outside.

footflaps

Oh and air con. Because sod working out in a sweat box when it’s 30 degrees outside.

We just have a massive fan, although I have thought about aircon, but probably only really need it for 1-2 weeks a year.

djflexure

We have had concept 2 rower, ski erg and a basic treadmill
    Benches and bars

All have been moved on
    All that really stuck was the bike trainer, kettlebells and body weight exercises

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think the plan is especially ambitious , it’s a total spend of less than a decent full sus bike.

Space-wise, I meant.

julians
    Free Member

Space-wise, I meant.

ah right – yes maybe – I’ll need to measure up and will add stuff bit by bit .

scud
    Free Member

For me, Wahoo SYSTM for turbo, as it also has programmes for body weight exercises, yoga, running and swimming, so can give you a complete program with a goal.

And if you want to stay strong and conditioned, for weight training i tend to stick to the big compound lifts twice a week, then two bodyweight sessions via SYSTM, so for that a weight bench with squat rack, barbell and adjustable dumbells. TRX are brilliant too.

Concept 2 rower will last years and folds.

convert

Similar age, similar ambitions. Also a fellow bike rider (assuming two people on a bike forum ride bikes)

A smart turbo (to be used as last resort as bikes are more fun on the road/dirt – fact)
    A TRX (inc overhead attachment point)
    Some kettlebells
    A TRX Rip
    Some space (preferably warmish) for some stretching/core/yoga with a none shitty floor
    Maybe a cross trainer (mainly for for Mrs C and her borked hips or me for a change of indoors cardio torture device).
    A light bright space where the house rules don’t allow the dumping of crap.
    Some entertainment (TV/speakers etc).

That would be/will be me sorted. If I allowed myself to get all testosterony I’d buy more metal heavy stuff and then mostly dust it.

footflaps

Don’t forget to budget for an Eleiko roofrack, so you can take your gym on holiday with you…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nbTSej]Eleiko roofrack[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

colp

I picked up a second hand Marcy 3500 Multi Gym before COVID hit for just over £100.
    It’s a decent bit of kit for a home multi gym, I use it mainly for pull exercises, triceps and also deadlifts.

I also have a cheap squat rack, flat bench, inclined bench, cross-trainer machine (another Marcy I picked up off Gumtree for £30), and a dumbbell rack with a selection from 5kg to 27.5kg.

All just cheap old weights off Gumtree etc.

I do a sort of old school splits routine combined with cross trainer between weights sets. Works pretty well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My lad is really into weightlifting, and we’ve built up quite a collection of bars, weight plates and accessories, plus bench and power rack, over the last year or so. Almost everything has come from Mirafit, seems to be really solid kit, fair prices, and best of all, delivery is £5 per order, regardless of what you buy – even if it’s 50 odd kilos. Even more miraculous when you’re in the Highlands.

https://mirafit.co.uk/

el_boufador

Barbell, squat rack and bench. OR the TRX/bodyweight stuff and kettle bells. Maybe a rowing machine.

All other stuff is miserable. Just go for a run outside if you want cardio.

For me, pretty much exactly this! But then again my kids are now old enough to leave by themselves and I’m lucky enough to have a number of nice local rides or runs of various lengths straight out the door

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.