Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kids den – camo, whatpaint and design
  • DT78
    Free Member

Have a small shed for the boys (2 & 4) I want to theme it like an army style den, what paint should I go for? Normal outdoor shed paint tends to look a bit watery which I don’t think will work, would normal indoor paint work for a more solid colour?

Plus what is the easiest design to go for that looks ok in a small garden? If anyone has done this before tips and pics appreciated!

(Second time posting due to ad redirects….)

mattyfez

Matte spray paint?
    Or just paint it all dark brown with normal stain, then put some camo netting on it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-5ft-Woodenland-Camouflage-Netting-Camping/dp/B0135NDW3K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?hvadid=80195660852141&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvqmt=e&keywords=camouflage+net&qid=1556366881&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Then when they grow out of it, take the netting off and you have a normal looking shed again.

CountZero

Something that has nice straight lines like this Norwegian vehicle camo, perhaps?

DT78
    Free Member

Thought about camo net, bit concerned about potential safety with choking themselves if they get stuck in it.

Norwegian vehicle camo looks the part need the right paint to make it work though. Would have thought spray paint would cost a lot for a whole shed.

jonba
    Free Member

Go for proper outdoor paint. Indoor stuff will not survive the rain and sunshine, it isn’t designed to.

Important bit is to get a proper primer on. After that you should have a bit more flexibility in what you choose. If you google you’ll probably find that you can use other outdoor paints over the wood primer.

I’d personally stick to things designed to go over wood. Wood has a different composition to masonary! Things like oils from the tree will interact with the paint and it will expand and contract in a different way.

If you did it one solid colour then you could put something like camo netting over it. You’d just need to make sure it was well staples on. A solid colour (dark green) with camo netting could look quite good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Netting-Retardant-Decoration-Sunshade-Shooting/dp/B077TRY3PR/ref=pd_day0_hl_21_5/257-0072521-8721458?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077XRT6QH&pd_rd_r=d1ef93f1-6975-11e9-b672-a529adbb8e47&pd_rd_w=JX3oL&pd_rd_wg=9XRC0&pf_rd_p=92d624bb-a334-423e-8722-8024dd09667f&pf_rd_r=3HET2Z7DTV4CKE702AP3&refRID=3HET2Z7DTV4CKE702AP3&th=1

CountZero

Would have thought spray paint would cost a lot for a whole shed.

Not practical, needs masking, etc. Brush and several pots of paint – mid-green for the whole shed, then smaller pots for the gray, russet and midnight blue/black. Use bits of cardboard for the straight edges, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I used M.O.D issue paint to rat my old van about 7 years ago.

Bought off eBay 5ltr for £20ish can’t remember how much smaller tins cost.

Used it up on jnr mons play shed.

Doesn’t need any primer and tough as boots.

Loads of army type colours available.

I copied the Swedish m90 camo pattern and it looked ace.

Moved house 2years later but paint on den was still sound before we skipped it.

No links/pics as cba.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kids den – camo, whatpaint and design’ is closed to new replies.