Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kids buoyancy jackets / wetsuits
  • DT78
    Free Member

Have a sup arriving for next summer (it was supposed to be this one b7t they sold out…)

What kit should I be looking at for young kids, they will be 4 and 6 by next summer. Ideally stuff they won’t grow out of in 5 minutes, if that is possible!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have got little used pdf’s and wetsuits that have been grown out of. Wetsuits might be a little big

matt_outandabout

We’ve used full length wetsuits, being in Scottishland. Decathlon as ever is a winner, but we’ve a good few bits of Palm great gear as I used to get staff discount.
    Second hand is also good – they grow so quickly.
    Which reminds me I’ve three teenage wetsuits to sell for a £10 each.

winston
    Free Member

4 year old will need a proper life jacket – something that floats them head up at all times. Best one on the market is a Crewsaver Spiral. Comes in various sizes but probably Large Child will be the right one. Check weight.

If 6 yr old is water confident then a BA is fine, something like a Palm Quest. Just remember this will only float them , not keep head out of water.

Cheap wetsuits are mostly rubbish but kids grow fast so Board shorts and thermal rash vests are the way to go in my opinion for summer. If you are paddling in colder climate then decathlon long johns are hard to beat with a millets cheapo waterproof cag over the top.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anywhere near Manc?
    Got some use stuff if you want it.

garage-dweller

Like others I’ve got a few bits looking for a home. Would suit your older one. Feel free to PM.

Second the full life jacket at those ages.

poly
    Free Member

Cheap wetsuits are mostly rubbish but kids grow fast so Board shorts and thermal rash vests are the way to go in my opinion for summer. If you are paddling in colder climate then decathlon long johns are hard to beat with a millets cheapo waterproof cag over the top.

I’ll not dispute the crap wetsuits are crap but I think, depending how you plan to use the SUP, shorts and thermals may be bad advice, especially with really small people. They get cold very quickly and that will basically call an end to the day. Generally kids enjoy jumping in and out and getting wet and even a cheap wetsuit will prolong the tolerance. One of the issues with kids wetsuits (or any wetsuit for that matter) is getting a decent fit – if it’s baggy it won’t work. Getting something to grow into is a common mistake. I think the long john approach can be sensible because it’s easier to get fits but I’d say a cheap cag won’t keep you warm especially if jumping in and out. But it does depend if the use case is glorious sunshine in the south, overcast in the north or a Scottish inland Loch made from melted snow! As well as how much time will be on the board/in the water, etc.

The lifejacket vs Bouyancy aid comment is sensible but again I’d take into account where and how you will use it. As a beach toy with an adult alongside I’d be more comfortable with a BA on a confident child, but if you plan to actually travel in it you need to plan for the worst. As it’s one board with two kids I am assuming we are talking mucking about on the beach… good news is you can get a good few years out of kids Bouyancy aids/life jackets.

tomd
    Free Member

As SUP user with young kids @poly’s advice above is spot on. They need wetsuits for all but the hottest days in the UK and they need to fit well. Our older one has a LOMO 3mm long which is decent, and the younger ones have basic 3mm ebay efforts from TWF. Wetsuits also have the advantage that they add a bit of buoyancy. Cheap wetsuit shoes are essential IME as you always get fannies that leave broken glass by every beach. It gets ground down quickly in the sea but lasts for ever on lochs / rivers.

We’ve found pairing the wetsuit with a cheap waterproof cagoule makes a bit difference as wetsuits lose loads of heat in the wind.

I would definitely recommend some kind of buoyancy aid. Strike me down but I have used the basic “swimming aid” type ones as generally we’re just mucking about close to the beach with 1:1 kid to adult ratio. Thinking of getting proper lifejackets for next years as we’ll do some short trips on the SUP.

ads678

Decathlon as always is a good start for wetsuits and life jackets.

My kids have also had two bare feet wetsuits that are pretty cheap and seem to work well.

Fortunately you’ll only have to buy 2 the first time, then it’s just upgrading the big one and passing the small one down.

DT78
    Free Member

thanks for the feedback guys really useful. hadn’t thought about full life jackets but will definitely get some.

for those offering free stuff, really appreciate it, I’m in southampton so manc is a bit too far 🙂

we have a decathlon so if I cant pick something up second hand over the next few months I’ll go there.

I’ve seen some deals on Baltic life jackets. are they good? is there a decent forum for sups you guys recommend?

oh, the plan is to use it at the beach but may try on the test / southampton water. we are probably going to also get a 3man inflatable kayak so we have the option of sitting the boys down/ carrying a bunch of kit for when they are a bit older and we want to go further afield

T666DOM

I’d second Lomo for wetsuits, bought the 5mm one for my daughter with our new SUP this summer, she spends more time jumping off the board and floating about in her BA than on the board but she has still been warm after more than an hour in and out of the North sea. Only thing that stopped things was cold feet, didn’t manage to get wetsuit boots in her size.

chowsh
    Free Member

I have a GUL toddler life jacket in the loft that was only used a couple of times with the kids when they were little.
    Free to anyone who can make use of it.
    I’m in West Oxfordshire but could look at posting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kids buoyancy jackets / wetsuits’ is closed to new replies.