Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kids bike saddle
  • richmtb

Picked up a Carrera Star 14″ bike the other day for my daughter who is not quite four years old.

Its not a bad wee bike and is reasonably light as far as these things go and about half the price of an Islabike or Frog.

But, the saddle is massive, its barely smaller than an adult saddle.  It doesn’t give her a lot of room to move around when she is getting on and off the bike, so looking to replace it with something smaller, the bike has a normal seatpost so it will take any saddle with standard rails.

I’ve found this on Cyclestore.  I’m sure a the pink one would be absolutely fine but does anyone have any other suggestions for a small child’s saddle.

Ta

Rich

stevextc
    Free Member

The BEST saddle I’ve found (including my own on £££/Value) is an odyssey junior saddle.

It cost about £15 and my 8yr old is now getting too big for it but it’s Kevlar sides etc. mean its lasted, kid sized and comfy for them.

We have two .. one on each bike… they are discontinued so you need to find some old stock… we found them at a BMX/Skate online store…

As a bonus they are also incredibly light (lighter than my very expensive one)

richmtb

Thanks Steve that looks great.  Just need to find one now!

daern
    Free Member

My son rides both Islabike’s saddles (which you can buy direct without the bike!) and, more recently, HUP ones from here:

Saddles & Posts

He says that his new, titanium-railed HUP one is super comfy, but he’d only done 30-odd miles on it on Saturday before binning his bike, so it didn’t get much of a run-in! It’ll get a better ride this weekend 🙂

rossburton
    Free Member

Our kids have Madison Trail saddles, and they’re great. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Madison-Trail-Youth-Saddle-Black/362171608989

daern
    Free Member

Our kids have Madison Trail saddles, and they’re great.

I didn’t mention, but the HUP saddle we just bought has actually replaced a Madison saddle (I think it’s the same one, although it doesn’t say “trail” on it) because the boy was complaining of rubbing on the inside of his thighs after longer (50+ miles) rides. I have to admit that the Madison didn’t seem overly wide at the front, but the HUP and Isla ones are certainly narrower and, so far at least, he says that the new one is better. That might be “shiny, new saddle syndrome” of course 🙂

Most of his friends race on bare, carbon saddles but as I wouldn’t put my own bum on one of them, it would seem cruel to inflict it on my own son, even though he thinks they are the most awesome things ever!

stevextc
    Free Member

We got our here but they are now sold out…

https://www.customriders.com/odyssey/saddles-and-seat-posts

Quite honestly the best purchase ever … (I wanted to get the same in a adult size for my own bikes .. Jnr has smashed and crashed hundreds of times .. wrecked FF helmets… scratched up body armour etc. and somehow only one saddle has a tiny tear… Meanwhile I must have gone through 4-5 cheap saddles…

Clean it up and then it looks like new again… all his previous saddles lasted a single ride… (and he was riding TAME stuff then) … now he’s bouncing the bike down rock gardens so frankly no idea how its so tough and light!

They are very small though… so for a 4 yr old perfect… sadly at 8 he’s starting to get a bit big for them… (at least as a saddle to sit on for long days .. will be fine for DH when he doesn’t need to sit on it)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike saddle’ is closed to new replies.