Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kickr Core and Zwift issues.
  • reluctantjumper

I don’t want to continue to moan on the Race thread so thought it best to create a separate one.

My Kickr Core is refusing to play nicely with Zwift. First it started having random resistance drops in free ride mode and having sudden drops in workout mode although the trainer would feel the same, it was the little graph at the bottom that was showing drops and I wouldn’t always get the little star. Thought it was Bluetooth interference as it was worse while using my wireless headphones so bought an Ant+ adaptor to get a clean signal. That didn’t work as I don’t have any resistance change due to hills and Erg mode doesn’t work on it. After it ruining my race last night I had a play with it this evening and while I can connect via Bluetooth and ant+ to Zwift now neither will work in erg mode or simulate hills. It makes the whole lot completely useless. I have tried connecting it via my phone but that gives the exact same results so I’m pointing at a problem with the Kickr.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can try to get it working again before I launch it out of the window and set it on fire?

jimdubleyou

Have you tried it with the kickr app and updated the firmware (if any)?

reluctantjumper

Yes, the Kickr app says it’s fully up to date and can read data from it but that’s all it can test. I’ve tried a full, fresh install of Zwift on the computer, no difference. Each time I change something it actually seems to be getting worse.

cogglepin

Probably a completely different issue to yours and may be of no help but my Zwift went kaput last night, also a kickr. Zwift said I had changed my password which I hadn’t, so after resetting on all my devices I missed my race by 10 seconds! Just did a freeride and it lost connection for about a minute then came back ok all by itself. To be fair it’s the first problem I’ve had with it in 8 months. Hope you get yours sorted, it’s bloody frustrating!

weeksy

Install Zwift on your phone and try it.

Edit. You’ve tried that. Sorry

scaredypants

Wahoo always used to have good customer support.  Have you tried them ?

scaredypants

WHere in UK are you – maybe somebody could bring over a “working” trainer to check that it works on your setup ?

vinnyeh

Pick up the free trial of wahoo SYSTM to determine if Zwift is the cause?

BadlyWiredDog

Pick up the free trial of wahoo SYSTM to determine if Zwift is the cause?

Yep, you want to establish whether erg mode / controllability is working on platforms other than Zwift, no? Then at least you’ll be partway to establishing whether there’s an issue with the trainer, or an issue with Zwift and/or how it communicates with the trainer.

And +1 for contacting Wahoo support, they’re usually really good ime.

haloric
    Free Member

Wahoo support is the first place, but if that is no joy I would take it to a different environment entirely – you may well have a lot of local interference you are not aware of.

Your other devices may cope with with it better than the Kickr

Isolating the problem or repeating it in a different environment is step 1 to finding the cause. Most likely your kickr is failing, but if you take it somewhere else and it is the only common factor in that environment, you have mostly proved it.

I would also connect it to a different computer (I know you have tried your phone). I would suggest an apple tv, as that is a very predictable environment.

If you are anywhere near Bucks, happy to help you try that.

reluctantjumper

I’m in Cardiff so nowhere near! I know there is a lot of Bluetooth going on round my flat, my phone can easily pick up multiple TV’s, sound bars, other phones and a few smart devices hence why I tried ANT+ as an alternative.

I have raised a Wahoo ticket, see what they say. Have read about people having problems a few years ago and having to roll back to the earlier firmware, might try that too.

Would doing the ‘World Hack’ cause issues? I have Zwift set up to always have Makuti Island as the default world instead of Watopia, easy to do with an extr line of text in one file. Hasn’t flagged any issues with updates and it all worked fine for a while since I did it so I can’t see how it could be causing issues. Might delete it anyway and see if it does help.

Sparky77
    Free Member

A slight hijack.

I’ve recently bought a second hand kickr core and using an Android phone to connect to Zwift. I’ve been finding the whole experience a little frustrating and struggle to connect each time. This is mainly with the controllable aspect, the power meter and cadence are always quick to connect, but the controllable seems to take an age/not appear at all.

Do you have a similar problem on the start up screen?

Haze

OP – are you still using the BT headphones?

I had all kinds of drop outs until I switched back to wires, seems I can add all manner of bluetooth stuff into the mix without issue, but the headphones caused problems everytime.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

as a test to rule out other things try using the Wahoo app for an hour or so and constantly change the resistance of the Kickr.

If that works ok the bluetooth to phone will be proven ok and likewise any issues with resistance on the kickr e.g. overheating – which can cause sudden drops.

MSP

I have a kickr core and can’t get it to connect to bluetooth either on the PC directly or using the companion app on the iphone, I have to use an ant+ adapter and an extension cable to place it closer to the trainer.

Bluetooth works fine directly to the PC with wahoo system.

reluctantjumper

I’ll try a different programme on the weekend, see if it makes a difference. The overheating thing might be something though as the flywheel is rather warm after a session, even with my measly power output!

Do you have a similar problem on the start up screen?

No, sometimes I have to connect it manually on the top left box but then the rest connect withing a few seconds. It usually struggles after an update the first time but is fine again after that.

OP – are you still using the BT headphones?

I had all kinds of drop outs until I switched back to wires, seems I can add all manner of bluetooth stuff into the mix without issue, but the headphones caused problems everytime.

That was the first thing I changed as the random resistance dropouts started when I got some new earbuds. Back to wired and it was a lot better for a few rides but now it’s getting worse.

reluctantjumper

Tried using Rouvy this morning and I didn’t have aby dropout issues on either connection but the resistance didn’t change. Wahoo also got back to me but they’ve just pointed me at doing a factory reset so far. Read that email after the Rouvy test so will try and do that tonight.

reluctantjumper

Wahoo have got back to me again and have asked me to do a certain stepped workout on their Systm app and send them a .fit file if it for analysis. Doing it tonight as it’s only 10-12 minutes long. Very much doubt they’ll be able to give me a fix before tomorrow night’s race though.

reluctantjumper

Wahoo have looked at the .fit file and are now going down the route of a warranty replacement. Good news but I doubt it’ll be done fast enough to get the new unit in time for the last race of the STW league Nd too long a gap to not effect the training programme DrP instigated. At least I should have a working trainer for the autumn!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well it’s progress at least!

Straightliner

Sounds like good service, albeit not the best timing. Hope it all gets resolved soon.

simon_g

Glad you got there. I think they turned my Core replacement (bought a refurb, legs were a bit wonky) around in about 5 days. As soon as they had confirmation of the old one being picked up the new one was dispatched.

reluctantjumper

Well just did a bit of freerideing and a training session on the replacement Kickr Core and it worked perfectly. No dropouts, no random changes in resistance, no interference. So happy it’s fixed! It still didn’t play nicely on ANT+ (putting that down to my setup) but bluetooth works flawlessly so I’m going to run it on that like I did previously.

Did notice that the resistance steps on the training ride (did Emily’s Short Mix) were a massive amount smoother than the old trainer and my cadence was much closer to what it felt like too. The old trainer must have been faulty for a while and getting gradually worse, really helped my rhythm having decent feedback. The freewheel also felt a whole lot cooler at the end compared to the old one too, a direct comparison as I did that training session a lot before.

So a big thanks to everyone for their suggestions on fixes and the push to contact Wahoo about it. Cannot fault the customer service from them, prompt replies and direct action about it. When it comes time to replace my elderly Edge 810 it’ll definitely swing my decision about what to replace it with!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.