• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • key safes – one with best security
  • DT78
    Free Member

just had the kids lock me out by shutting the door whilst I was putting out a nappy.

no keys or phone. luckily a rapid sprint to a friend’s who luckily was in meant I could get in with a spare. both boys on sofa looking innocent…

so I need a way of hiding / securing a spare key in the garden. it will be out of sight. masterlock gets bad reviews and apparently can be opened with a bit of plastic….

what else is worth a look?

footflaps

Not one with rotary dials, very easy to ‘pick’. I regularly open my neighbour’s and don’t even bother looking up the code, takes a min or so to scan 100 numbers and I know it’s a date starting with 1.

We use the Supra Keysafe, supposedly harder to pick..

Supre

djambo
    Free Member

an old tobacco tin buried under and inch or two of soil in the flower bed round the side of the house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

just had the kids lock me out by shutting the door whilst I was putting out a nappy

Why was the nappy on fire?!

* calls social services *

footflaps

an old tobacco tin buried under and inch or two of soil in the flower bed round the side of the house.

Not quite as useful though, eg if guests turn up early I can just text them the code etc, no need to go digging in the ground looking for anything.

Drac

takes a min or so to scan 100 numbers

It only has 2 barrels?

Yeah they’re crap I’m not going to say how but without even a clue of the code the ones with 4 barrels take no time at all.

avdave2

I’d check with my insurer before fitting one to make sure they don’t have something in the small print regarding them.

scruff9252

Can you not just fit a lock which doesn’t auto lock when the door closes?

matt_outandabout

We have a neighbour with the key and a super secret, hidden and in a locked box key for just such occasions.

This was instigated, after I flew home from Myanmar to Edinburgh, caught train x2 and walked home to discover that I hadn’t taken a key with me, it was 9:10 in the morning and all the oab household were at school or work (30 miles away), I had been up 20something hours straight, after a 3 week working trip, it was raining, 1*c and I had to walk up to school, pull one of my kids out of lessons and walk home again…when I should have been tucked up warm!

Dickyboy

Get your neighbours a key safe too but swap keys over 🤔

matt_outandabout

Indeed. Our key safe is not on our property.

footflaps

Yeah they’re crap I’m not going to say how but without even a clue of the code the ones with 4 barrels take no time at all.

Everyone I know seems to use a recent date, so start with 19 and you’ll get there.

You can pick them completely blind by feel as well, hence I bought a Supra as the 2017 onwards model is supposedly unpickable (famous last words as their original was pickable).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have this one which looks very similar to the Supra so I will look up the flaw in the Supra to see if mine has it :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005R1AC46/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing that is funny is that numbers of your ‘combination’ can be entered in any order, which I think is the same as the Supra going by the comments.

franksinatra

Finally, a STW thread where I can claim some expertise.

We install keysafes for older people at work and only use the SUPRA C500. It is Secure by Design Police Approved and accepted by Insurers. I’ve seen the effort and hardware required for our engineers to force them open. If you had bad intentions you could just lob the power tools through the windows or drill out a door lock much quicker than the effort need to force the keysafe open

The code pad has number and letters. Just don’t use any variation of 19** as too predictable.

There are videos online showing people opening the C500 by feeling the resistance on the buttons but this has been designed out and is not an issue on the new ones.

There are other smart solutions around including bluetooth / wifi / NFC phone linked, increasingly these are secure and I suspect there are now also other Approved by Design products but the Supra is well made, reliable and tough as nails.

I have one outside my house.

footflaps

One thing that is funny is that numbers of your ‘combination’ can be entered in any order, which I think is the same as the Supra going by the comments.

Pretty much all keysafes / mechanical combination door locks are order agnostic.

squirrelking
    Free Member

*awaits lockpicking lawyer video featuring revised C500*

The old one was approved as well but could be opened very easily, just goes to show exactly what that accolade stands for.

Can you not just fit a lock which doesn’t auto lock when the door closes?

Best answer yet. Night latches are stupid things.

footflaps

The old one was approved as well but could be opened very easily, just goes to show exactly what that accolade stands for.

To be fair you see hundreds of rotary lock key safes on houses and they’re all easily pickable, so it’s obviously not a common line of attack for burglary.

scruff9252

To be fair you see hundreds of rotary lock key safes on houses and they’re all easily pickable, so it’s obviously not a common line of attack for burglary.

I’d imagine your common burglar would see a key safe and think it was an OAP’s house. That usually means two things, they’ll be more likely be in and also they will have less stuff nickable & valuble which are quick and easy to move on…

FuzzyWuzzy

How about have an obvious key safe with an explosive shotgun shell trap thing in it and a less obvious one with the key? :p

Drac

Common burglars don’t give a shit about OAPs.

footflaps

I’d imagine your common burglar would see a key safe and think it was an OAP’s house. That usually means two things, they’ll be more likely be in and also they will have less stuff nickable & valuble which are quick and easy to move on…

Maybe I should add a fake one next to the front door as a deterrent!

P20

We went for the Squire one from screwfix. Supposedly secure despite being a combination though 6 njmbers

leffeboy

I’d imagine your common burglar would see a key safe and think it was an OAP’s house

Or airbnb these days

kayak23

I always thought these were the infallible solution?

avdave2

Common burglars don’t give a shit about OAPs

Well they do if all they think they’ll come away with is a lingering smell of cabbage and a souvenir plate from a holiday in Clacton in 1972

Drac

Those plates are collectible items now.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘key safes – one with best security’ is closed to new replies.