Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Kettlebells
  • fatmax

Going to buy some for over the winter, try and add some strength training into what I do.
    Is there much difference between them – some of the prices are eye watering (to me) – anything to be lost by just going to somewhere like Decathlon and getting a relatively cheap set? Surely there’s nowt that can go wrong with them, but are the more expensive ones more comfortable to use/handle?
    And any thoughts on what range of weights to start with – accepting that I’m a weakling!
    Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.
    Fraser

mmannerr

The best models are the ones made after official competition model, untreated iron handle (not slippery) and same size (diameter) for all weights. Generally for adult person I’d recommend 8kg as minimum weight and other at 16kg for normal kettlebell swing.

The lifting form is as important as with any lifting but youtube videos can help a lot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I started off buying the cheap ones, the disadvantage of them is those big wide handles, competition style are far better IMO, especially if swinging two of them.

Blk box are reasonably well priced, I got a 24kg for 59 quid recently.

tonyd

I have a few in the garage, covered in dust as I could never really figure out how to use them properly. Waiting for this book to arrive as apparently it is very good, and I think includes advice on where/how to start etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Revised-Updated/dp/B083Z1WTFD

footflaps

Is there much difference between them

There are two types, basic ones where they get bigger as they get heavier and Competition ones which are all the same size. The latter are considerably more expensive, but nicer to use IMO.

I bought mine from https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/ which was one of the cheapest places when I was looking.

And any thoughts on what range of weights to start with – accepting that I’m a weakling!

Does depend what you’re going to do. The more over head stuff / complex moves, the more you’ll probably want lighter ones. If you’re mainly doing Kettlebell swings (the main exercise) then you’ll be fine at eg 20/24 kg. Whereas pressing that one handed over head is not trivial.

I’d start with say a 12 and a 16 and see how you get on.

I originally had standard ones, then sold them all on FB and bought a set of Competiton ones one by one.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kmaFDh]Kettlebell and Dumbbell storage[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

We had some expensive ones, my wife bought a cheaper one and it was a plastic shell full of what looks like plaster. The reason I know that it’s something that looks like plaster is because the plastic outer split, around the handle. In such a way that if the plaster cracks the handle will come off. So don’t get cheap ones!

midlifecrashes

I’ve used a few in gyms and have one at home. Not enough differences to worry about. If you’re small and weak, 8kg is as low as you’d want, but 12kg is a good size for folk who don’t lift otherwise. When you’re lifting with the weight sitting against your wrist, it’s easy to hurt yourself, I used a pair of sweatbands with a handy bit of plastic to save my wrist until I got used to it. A vinyl covered bell or a proper wristguard would be the spendier option. The £30 ones from Amazon or Decathlon are fine, mine was Aldi.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have some cheapy ones from Lidl or similar.

They’re fine and I did shoulder rehab with them, but I’m just not a fan of them generally.

Have you used kettlebells before? If not, maybe borrow one to try it out before spending?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Check out Lebe Stark on youtube, their workouts are fantastic, and really focus on form.

footflaps

Steve Cotter is the go to man for KB form.

He also has the most impressive pistol squat I’ve ever seen…

kimura54321

Avoid smooth chromed handles like the plague, far to slippy to be safe for dynamic moves.

Cheapo ones are OK, but sometimes need the handle filing or shaping to remove the seam cast to stop shredding your hands.

I do like the sport steel ones, but prefer the iron hard style with a bigger handle for goblet squats.

Also the solid iron ones I find easier for double kettlebell stuff. At 5’8” my legs aren’t that long so a pair of iron 24kg solid ones are easier to use than the hollow sport equivalents which are bigger diameter.

dyna-ti

I once had a whistling kettle. Had no idea they came with bells too.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Couple of kettlebell .pdf books here that I used to find handy…

https://mega.nz/file/pNJ2xBQS#_4UoL_sZ0S3NnfUwaR6B3_HQcGnKO9Ehtq69UXyp5so

bigginge

Got a cast iron one from Decathlon for the wife over lockdown, honestly can’t fault it for what it is. Just a shame they didn’t have stock of more weights in the same style in stock when we got her this one.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/b/domyos/c0-sports/c1-fitness-and-gym/c3-cross-training-equipment/nature-kettlebell/_/N-1qiccpjZb4hxkwZ1upnivf

Mintyjim

Argos for me!

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/kettlebell/?clickOrigin=searchbar:home:auto:kett:kettlebell

Pro fitness brand.

I’ve got 12 week (51 page!) kettlebell pdf program I can email out if anyone PM’s me their email address. Starting mine tomorrow. Honest.

Cheers

superfli
    Free Member

Decathlon cast iron ones are great. Not too big and bulky. Plastic kettle bells tend to be far too big when they get to decent weight.
    Only draw back with iron is it gets cold if you are working outside.
    I wear a pair of gloves which also helps with callus’s. Wear sweat bands with plastic inserts to protect your arms from getting bashed overhead stuff.

footflaps

Wear sweat bands with plastic inserts to protect your arms from getting bashed overhead stuff.

You shouldn’t be getting bashed at all – watch the first Steve Cotter video above.

The KB should be sliding around your wrist.

poolman
    Free Member

Decathlon here, 8s and 12s. Paint falls off pretty soon but they are black anyway. I wear the decathlon gloves too or you shred your hands. You build muscle pretty quickly, but lose it even quicker.

Aldi plastic are awful, massive, seam on handle, but cheap as chips.

superfli
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be getting bashed at all – watch the first Steve Cotter video above.

The KB should be sliding around your wrist

Not watched any vids. Bit I do kettle bells maybe 5 times a week, so pretty used to them. Snatches and they twist in hand and then onto outside of wrist

midlifecrashes

Yes it’s fine once the knack becomes muscle memory, but easy to give your wrist a good whacking until it’s second nature, so a bit of protection is prudent.

kimura54321

@footflaps – There are two main styles of snatches, sport style like Steve Cotter shows with the “twirly” bit and handles parallel to your feet.

With hard style, like RKC or Strongfirst, it flips over and starting position is perpendicular to your feet. Key is on the timing to get it to kind of float mid air and then catch it by punching through on the last extension. That last part of the movement is key in slowing it down so it doesn’t bash your forearm. Easier to show than explain by text.

The hard style is not as efficient and harder, but that is kind of the point where they want maximum tension during the exercise.

supercarp

I have a number of kettle bells from Wolverson fitness, good quality and reasonable price esp the black series.

Simple & Sinister is a good kettlebell routine to start with.

I would say if you are planning to use kettlebells properly swings, snatches, clean & press etc the dynamic lifts it is worth paying for decent quality bells.

Avoid the cheap plastic coated ones.

ctk
    Free Member

Decathlon +1

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What weights are people using? Do you buy single ones or pairs? I was thinking a 10 and a 16 but probs off Marketplace as some other suckers failed hobby is my gain.

jimster01

As others have said, avoid vinyl coated kettle bells, they’re slippy.

I use the Kettlebell Wizard app for workouts, each exercise has a description and animation of form as well as a YouTube video.

As for weight, 8/10kg for tgu and presses, 16kg for swings and lifts.

fatmax

Thanks so much everyone, incredibly useful and helpful, as ever. Much appreciated.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What weights are people using? Do you buy single ones or pairs? I was thinking a 10 and a 16 but probs off Marketplace as some other suckers failed hobby is my gain.

Posted 3 hours ago

It’s worth going to a coue of KB classes to try different weights (and helps form) as they’re expensive ornaments.

I’ve two 12kgs and a 24kg, but everyone is different. Wee pal in my running club is about 5′ and 8 stone and she swings a 36.

poolman
    Free Member

‘re weights I see decathlon have loads in stock, I started with 6s, in pairs, progressed to 8s, now on 12s. Decathlon don’t do 10s or I would have bought them.

Decathlon are colour coded in case you cannot tell by the different size, blue 8s, yellow 12s.

Mix up the exercises or you will soon get bored.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I was in decathlon last Friday, had a full range back in stock

northernsoul

If you want the non-competition variety, the Amazon Basics ones are ok. My favourites though are the Wolverson Black series. Not cheap, but they often have special offers or new customer discounts. They do competition kettlebells too.

northernsoul

I was thinking a 10 and a 16

As others have said, everyone’s different, but it’s better to start light and work up. If your technique isn’t quite right and/or the kettlebell is too heavy, you run the risk of injury. I have 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 kg. I don’t use the 8 any more, but all the others get used for different things.

b33k34

My favourites though are the Wolverson Black series. Not cheap, but they often have special offers or new customer discounts. They do competition kettlebells too.

20% off Black Friday discount on site and delivery was free. Takes them to not much above decathlon (Black Friday free delivery) price.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Really good buy for a 16kg Competition KB.

BLK BOX Competition Kettlebells

molgrips
    Free Member

I started with 12 for swinging and quickly moved up but the same 12 is now good for overhead presses. You will still find something to do with the lighter ones.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebells’ is closed to new replies.