Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Keavany on R6M – nob or god?
  • GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

God? No. Gideon Coe is God.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Poor old MAH. I really like her. But I get why others may not. I think being a natural night-owl, but forced by convention to be awake and working before noon I kind of have my guard down being still half asleep. She has a nice soothing voice and plays some cool stuff. I generally find I can’t even listen to the radio before whatever time she’s on. Maybe a bit of R3.

Why is most radio so thoroughly obnoxious in the morning? They could learn from the club DJ’s with concept of ‘warming up’.

CountZero

Not a big fan of Keaveny, but he’s a broadcasting genius compared to Moyles; there is a man who’s consumed with admiration for the sound of his own voice, keeping the music content of his programme to the absolute bare minimum.
    When I was driving for BCA, our team driver insisted on having Moyles on the radio, a good inducement for me to stick earplugs in and go to sleep.
    I like having the chat in between the records, it’s what radio is about, LaLa has really interesting, intelligent guests on, unfortunately I rarely get a chance to hear more than about forty minutes of Hawkins, Laverne, Lamaq and Riley, depending on shifts going to and from work.
    The main advantage of 6Music is it doesn’t use algorithms to tell me that just because I liked the last record it played I’m going to like all of the others! Even during the short periods I get to listen I can hear one or two pieces of music I’ve never heard before, and which get me wanting to hear more of their music, followed by a song I’m not keen on at all. – if that’s ‘being up their own arse’, good!
    For times when there’s nothing on I want to listen to, like a Saturday afternoon, for example, my phone has nearly 300Gb of music on it, that’s several months or so, and I’m adding to that with the new stuff 6Music plays, like Samantha Crain, who I heard tonight, Claud, Grandmas House, Jeanes, Albertine Sarges, NewDad, Pom Poko and Dry Cleaning.
    There is no other radio station that plays such a wide variety of music, of that I’m sure.

Spin
    Free Member

Cats! Maybe cats operating in gangs.

I think that was what turned me from not liking to liking his show.

mcj78
    Free Member

He used to infuriate me – think i’ve gotten used to it now though…

Ideal choice of radio 6 presenters would be Craig Charles / Huey / Iggy Pop on permanent rotation.

onehundredthidiot

I think comedic features are a a bridge too far. I like the music but can get from home to work without hearing any just him droning on (5 minutes downhill on the bike). Don’t mind humour but let’s have less chat more music. I really like Radcliffe and Maconi, the chain is fine but crisps on the radio is trying my patience.

Yes I realise that I sound like an old grump, there may be a simple explanation for that.

muttley109
    Free Member

Hueys Saturday morning show is the best thing on Radio 6 by far. I used to hate MAH but have grown to like her now, her voice can be annoying and she does spout some crap but I like her choice of music.

Kahurangi

Must have been nearly a year since a R6M thread! About time!

I thought that half of the reason for enforced drivel and wittering was because there’s a limit on how much of the broadcast is allowed to be uninterrupted music?

With that in mind, Keavney is one of the better presenters. I really like Laverne and some of her regular guests, even if Professor Hannah Fry does laugh at her own jokes far too much. MAH has a beautiful voice but while I enjoy the heavier stuff she plays (who else would play Deftones or Tool on the radio) I can’t take the more indulgent electronic stuff she loves.

zippykona

It may not be Tool but a Perfect Circle were getting an outing at 9 am last week.
    Radio Caroline Top 15s
    null
    Ps if you ever tune in don’t do it before 9 am. Before then you will find someone just as bad as Keavny

DezB
    Free Member

^^ whitest playlist since the early days of MTV

abingham

Onions.

United. Kingdom. Yumyums.

labsey
    Free Member

I like Shaun’s show, can’t listen as much since he moved to the afternoon though. I can completely understand why some people don’t like him as he can be a bit Marmite.

pondo

I thought that half of the reason for enforced drivel and wittering was because there’s a limit on how much of the broadcast is allowed to be uninterrupted music?

Is that true? That explains a lot, and I feel a bit more sympathetic to him (not that he needs my sympathy).

fingerbang
    Free Member

I don’t want to get too effusive and I get that the station can be a big smug at times BUT I’ve always found the playlist to be really really sound, at times amazing and has introduced me to some great new music. There’s nothing like it out there

Introduced me to arlo parks, surprise chef, goat girl to name a few last couple of months. It’s even got Gary numan’s new song and there are some beautiful sounding records on the playlist at the moment, don’t know what the names are. The new MF Doom prog hip hop song is great

zippykona

DezB tomorrow’s is even better!
    null
    Especially looking forward to System of a Down with my breakfast.

spursn17
    Free Member

I’m now in the habit of saying this when someone or something annoys me, except I replace ‘cats’ with the very bad C word! 😂

andrewreay

^^^ Is that playlist for real?

“A bit of Bachman Turner Overdrive, mate’

fasthaggis

“A bit of Bachman Turner Overdrive, mate’

🤣🙃

>> makes a note never to tune in to Caroline’s radio <<

zippykona

Randy Bachman rocks mate.

This is the finest 3 hours of grown up non perm rock on the radio.
    https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/rcarolinepeterantony/episodes/2021-01-23T03_45_58-08_00

huck2flat
    Free Member

He’s better than the wet blanket that is Gideon Coe, how that dreadful voice got on the radio god only knows

fasthaggis

how that dreadful voice got on the radio god only knows

Could be his huge knowledge of music and the ability to broadcast (with some real feeling) ,an interesting and unique playlist ……from a shed.
    But enough about that, let’s hear you recommendation for some weekday 9.00 – midnight radio listening.

Oh and…..

God? No. Gideon Coe is God.

Fact 🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m now in the habit of saying this when someone or something annoys me, except I replace ‘cats’ with the very bad C word! 😂

Posted 2 hours ago

What’s the other one? “…and did your cat know it was Noel Edmonds?”

Sounds like the Jeremy Vine show is a rich seam of accidental partridge 🙂 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ha ha.
    SK has just read out my text.

14:10 – story about farting at a French campsite.

I love the guy!

RustySpanner

Love The Boy Lard as a person, but my word, some of the dross he’s playing recently…..

SK – not fussed either way, tbh.

Klunk
    Free Member

smashie and nicey rolled into keavany **** dreadful.

bonni

@derek_starship – I heard that story. It made me chortle. 9/10!

I like Keaveny – he’s daft. Listen to him every day at the mo’ whilst doing mundane work.

My fave show is Cerys’ on Sundays. Radio Caroline looks pretty stale in comparison.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Stopped listening to radio years ago but does anyone still do a festive-50 style roundup of new music? I took a gander at the mainstream top 40 stuff recently and it’s not really my sort of stuff, I do like a bit of melody me. Back in the day I’d pick my new faves out after repeated listens to the F50 and get one or two new artists a year…

johnx2
    Free Member

Normally I’d say something about 6 being radio 2 for those slightly too up themselves to listen to actual radio 2, and try and take the piss out of the worst presenters (dad’s job I recall as particularly bad, or amateur who was in a band with vorderman off the scale bad). But fact is that lack of long drives over the last year and streaming in the car means it’s fading from my memory.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Now this is getting weird. SK has just read out another of my texts. Two days on the trot.
    How odd.

phil5556

I quite like him now, which I find weird because I never used to be able to stand him. I suppose I’ve been listening a bit more recently and he’s grown on me, or maybe I’m more tolerant these days.

I’ve even found myself enjoying MAH a bit, apart from the awkward handover bit between their shows where I’m not sure she knows quite how to take Keaveny.

Gideon is great too. Sometimes his stuff is a bit challenging to listen to, but that’s all good 🙂

tenfoot

Back on again this afternoon then @derek_starship

derek_starship
    Free Member

Yep. Got a mention of STW’s FFF too!

fingerbang
    Free Member

6 music has been pleasurable this week cos Lamaq is on holiday.

Anyway, you keaveny nay Sayers should be turning your ire onto Liz Kershaw. I couldn’t bring myself to look at her salary when beeb published them a few years ago as it would’ve plunged me into irreversible depression

ElShalimo

I love 6Music but Mary Anne Hobbs is awful but redeems herself by frequently not being there.

However Liz Kershaw is consistently woeful and sadly ever-present.

tuboflard

I’ve been and had a look @fingerbang and thankfully she falls below the reportable threshold. Every penny she earns is a penny too much though.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is it my knackered ears or does Keavany mumble a lot? Can’t make out a word listening in the van.

zippykona

Meanwhile another cracker this morning.
    null

ElShalimo

FYI: Keaveney is on his hols…. Tom Ravenscroft is replacing him this week

nicko74

ElShalimo

FYI: Keaveney is on his hols…. Tom Ravenscroft is replacing him this week

Now there’s a presenter who just drains the life out of me. He’s quite amusing, bit of chat, but something about his voice, and the obscure tracks he often plays, just sends me completely to sleep. Not good when I’m trying to do some work!

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Keavany on R6M – nob or god?’ is closed to new replies.