Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Just me still 3×9?
  • kraken2345
    Free Member

2×9 on my Pitch, use a stinger chain device and e.13 bash guard in place of the big ring. It’s built up heavy so a spinning gear to grind up stuff really suits it and I never drop a chain. I’m selling the bike soon anyway so no point changing now as it’s all barely worn in.

IHN

Yup, 3*9, 26″ wheels, hardtail, square taper BB, cable discs, inner tubes; the past is the future!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

In our house we have…

3×7 3×8, 3×9, 2×10 and 1×11,
    26″, 27.5″, 29″,
    1 1.8″, and tapered,
    square taper BB, hollowtech II and BB30
    15mm and QR

However ALL the bikes are NON BOOST, so UP YOURS bicycle industry!

superleggero
    Free Member

Shimano XT 3×9 on two bikes here and plenty of spares to carry on for a good while. Works very well, I like the close ratios, chainlines not too twisty, and I like the range of gears on offer. In partiular the top gear (44t I think) for the faster tarmac bits which I think I would miss with other set ups.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 x 8 here.

kiwijohn

Just replaced the XT 3×9 on the HT. Significantly cheaper than the 1×10 on the FS (Sunrace & AB).

stumpy01

3×9 on my Inbred & on my 2010 Stumpjumper FSR.

Might change the drivetrain on the Stumpjumper to 2×10 when it’s worn out, but given that it only gets ridden about once a year at the moment that’s gonna take a while.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I have 1 3×8 2 3×9 and 1 3×10 no intention to change just yet.

jekkyl

I recently built up another HT and I actively selected to go 3X9 on it. The reasons for this is firstly I love the big ring as i mentioned, I love to go fast! and 2ndly the parts for 3×9 are so much cheaper, new and 2nd hand. Just take a look at the cost of a new x9 chain over x10 or x11, it’s ridiculous. & because everyone is going 1x and x10 x11 you can pick up 2nd hand shifters and mechs for pennies, it’s ace! 3×9 does everything I need it to do!

madhouse

3×9 here too, I’ll change when I have to (new bike – a few years off) but I’m struggling to see the point of converting to 2x or 1x when I don’t see a big advantage of doing so.

They both say they give the same range but it’s at the cost of available ratios, I can use both thumbs at the same time, I don’t have a dropper so don’t have ‘cluttered bars’ and the weight saving my be of interest to some but I’m really not bothered about a few grams here and there.

Like many, I’m just fine as I am thanks 🙂

sirromj

square taper BB

Right now that’s taking things a bit too far 😉

Cleaning my 3×10 fs bike, I could only conclude the real reason for 1x systems is cleaning – one less complicated set of shapes to spend hours trying to poke out glued on mud and grime 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You can’t my M960 from me!

Yes but getting the old Middleburn Hardcoat SS middle and inner rings is a lot harder now

on the lookout for a SS 1/8th 32T chainring for the inevitable decommissioning to the SS

madhouse

I could only conclude the real reason for 1x systems is cleaning – one less complicated set of shapes to spend hours trying to poke out glued on mud and grime

I get around this by not washing my bike 😀

dirtydog
    Free Member

3×8 on pub bike, 3×9 on XC, 2×10 on FS and 3×9 on commuter and not a single issue with front mechs…weird.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*facepalms*

Also, point taken.

It helps, however, that I have not been riding that bike much :/

6079smithw
    Free Member

yep, all triples on my MTBs.
    Might have to build up any future bikes to get 3×11

senorj

I am too.
    It works & spares are cheap.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Just me still 3×9?’ is closed to new replies.