Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • just drilled through a water pipe, repair costs?
  • afrothunder88

Evening all.

Managed to drill through a water pipe for the bathroom, cue half an hour tearing the house apart to find the stopcock for the water.

Anyways, gonna be calling plumbers tomorrow but has anyone done similar and if so how much did it cost to repair? Hopefully i won’t have to use all of the tax rebate I just got!

Cheers

redthunder
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

+1 DIY

Just google and then screwfix (or equivilent).

lunge

Depends how easy it is to get to the pipe to repair. I got charged £70 to get one fixed but the plumber had to saw through some plasterboard to get to everything.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Easy repair to do yourself with basic tools.

Cougar

Given his drilling prowess, I’d get a plumber. (-:

I suspect that the repair price for the pipe will be a lot cheaper than the subsequent plastering and redecorating.

Merak

Gutted for you. Always at the back of my mind when drilling holes.

Hope you get it fixed and it doesn’t cost too much.

*note to self, must buy pipe detector*

totalshell

DONT pay more than 45 for the first hour and 35 for subsequent.. ther eis a recession! always ask for the hourly rate plus materials.
    so easy to diy its ridiculous… cut pipe fit piece of plastic pipe with push fit fittings at each end.. total cost less than a fiver…screwfix even b+Q wil sort that out.. even if you had to buy a hacksaw you ll have change from 7 quid!!

nealglover
    Free Member

If the pipe was easy to access (under a floorboard that could be lifted)
    I would charge something like £30/£40 to fix it and re fit the board. (soldered copper or plastic/pushfit depending on what’s under there)

If it was in a wall then it would be more, as there is more repair work afterwards.

If it was a tiled wall then it would be more again.

If you are near York I’d be happy to do it :mrgreen:

zooby71
    Free Member

Oh this brings back painful memories..I did just that on Xmas Eve several years ago..why I thought it was a good idea to do DIY on that day heaven only knows! Had to sit there with my finger over the pipe (hot water pipe of course..ouch!!) until the plumber arrived.It cost me about £100 for an emergency plumber to drain the whole system and repair said hole.Good luck 😥

project
    Free Member

Dpendant on location and how easy it is to get at to do the rpair , its a simple job.

totalshell

biggest leak ive ever fixed was 32 seperate leaks in a new extension…and they left the heating off last december whilst away on holiday..

most expensive money i ve taken for ‘fixing a leaky washing machine tap’.. £1800!!! the tap wasnt leaking water was coming through the wall on the tap stem to find origin of actual leak in pipework behind a tiled and plastered surface.. had to take out one side of the kitchen kitchen window sill and finally found the leak in a lead pipe recessed about 3 inches into the stonework at the top of the window frame where someone had nailed a curtain rail years earlier.. ..

afrothunder88

Ah good to know its fairly cheap and easy to fix! I had visions of several hundred pound bills. I would try and do it myself but its behind a brick wall. Will the plumber be able to remove the wall to get at it?

Zooby that sounds like a freaking nightmare!

withersea
    Free Member

did the very same on a bank holiday, £90 without the cost of getting the wall replastered…..I then invested in a pipe detector!

zooby71
    Free Member

Pipe detectors are the way forward trust me..now I know I could have fixed it myself but the thought of no kitchen ceiling for Xmas wasn’t appealing to me. The missus offered a quaint smattering of p*** taking..love her…still!! 😆

project
    Free Member

2 customers i had, one drilled into a gas pipeunder the bedroom floor while stopping the chipboard floor squeeeking, Transco came out and capped the pipe for free.

Another customer driled the main water pipe to the bathroom while as above stopping the chipboard floor from squeeking, he managed to fill the ceiling void with water that pulled down the ceiling,set the alarm off, so he phoned the police who arrived a few minutes latter to find the g/f flooded.

NEVER SCREW CHIPBOARD FLOORS OR FLOoRBOARDS DOWN UNLESS THEYVE BEEN RAISED AND YOU KNOW WHATS UNDER THEM, AS WATER WILL FILL THE CEILING VOID THEN BANG.

project
    Free Member

Pipe detectors only work on metal , not the new plastic water pipes or waste pipes, from saniflos.

zooby71
    Free Member

driled the main water pipe to the bathroom while as above stopping the chipboard floor from squeeking…jesus that was me to the word. The floor continues to squeak away merrily…much cheaper option IMO

project
    Free Member

To stop the squeek, lift carpets and apply Talcum powder to all joints, gently brush in with a paint brush, then repeat.

zooby71
    Free Member

Thanks Project…will give that a go. I don’t do talcum powder but I shall approach the missus for guidance

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘just drilled through a water pipe, repair costs?’ is closed to new replies.