• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jim.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Just been given 130mm forks – what frame
  • roddymac
    Free Member

Hi all,

Mew here. I have been given some 130mm marzocchi’s and don’t think they’ll suit my M2 stumpy so am on lookout for a new frame.

Spotted Dialled Prince Albert and like the look of that. Usually ride 17″ XC bikes.

Anything else that comes to mind. Budget about 250 quid

Thanks,

Roddy

roddymac
    Free Member

whats mew? meant New!

james
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert should be spot on (a Dialled Alpine if they’re a particularly tall set of marzoochis – what ones are they?)
    On-one 456
    Pipedream Sirrus

Are you thinking new or S/H?
    else some of these might come in S/H in budget
    Cotic Soul
    Orange P7
    Genesis Altitude 853

Can’t think of anymore steel 5″ ish travel HTs

roddymac
    Free Member

Thanks James,

Marzocchi Z1 2003 freerides I think. Still plush and have 2 spring sets.

Will fully service them though bushes, seals n new oil.

Fancy something jumpy and fun. And love technical descents. Not for racing.

My M2 stumpy evolved from 23 pound whippet to lardy disk braked toy. So just natural evolution 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

roddymac – Member

Fancy something jumpy and fun. And love technical descents. Not for racing.

My M2 stumpy evolved from 23 pound whippet to lardy disk braked toy. So just natural evolution

If that’s the case then seriously take a look at the DMR trailstar. I am not sure if you’d want the ordinary trailstar or the LT for 130 mm forks but I’ve been on both and can report they are a phenomenal frame. You can easily pick up either frame for your budget and with a careful build you can build a bike that can do it all – dirt jump, downhill, xc blasts. Just amazing. Slight weight penalty but ultra versatile geometry ( on the *gulp* aggressive side) means you really can do it all.

mboy
    Free Member

In contrast to what GNARGNAR says, if you’re going to be using it for riding uphills as well, I’d be tempted to get something with a bit more XC friendly geometry. Something like the Dialled PA or the On One 456 would sound ideal.

I’d rule the Cotic Soul and the Genesis Altitude out (though I own one) as they’re more of an XC frame capable of taking a 130mm fork than a jumpy fun machine.

One frame nobody has mentioned yet that may be worth a shout is the NS Bikes Society frame. As found at the following link…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22288

Any fork from 120 to 140mm is fine apparently, I was very tempted by one a few months ago, though ended up buying the Altitude as I decided I wanted something slightly “more XC” than the NS Society would have been.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    In contrast to what GNARGNAR says, if you’re going to be using it for riding uphills as well, I’d be tempted to get something with a bit more XC friendly geometry. Something like the Dialled PA or the On One 456 would sound ideal.

I suppose it depends what your priority is. If your happy to compromise climbing for amazing descending, jumping and handling then the DMR is THE bike. In every aspect except climbing it blows the 456 and the Dialled into the weeds.

If however climbing is the priority, ie long grinding climbs then it’s not perfect. Still a brilliant trail bike though.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

On one Summer Season – great slack head angle, had both the 456 and SS, wicked frames for the money

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the standard trailstar (i.e. the old one, not the new ones which are effectivey the old LT) was awesome with 130mm forks, it was absolutely unstopably quick dowhill, just set the forks to pogo stick fast and enjoy the ride 🙂

only probllem was uphill it could feel unballanced like it was trying to fall over in the corners.

Biffer
    Free Member

Surely a second hand Chameleon would fit the bill.

Very sturdy and will run forks from 100 up to 160mm I believe.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cove Handjob is a good s/h option too. At its best at around 120mm, but still v good at 130mm IMO.

If you can find another £100 down the back of the sofa, the Genesis Alptitude would probably make a puntastic fun hardtail – and gets a good write-up in the current ST.

hicksville
    Free Member

dialled bikes, either PA or alpine
    coves stiffee or chamelon great bikes and been owned by someone in my family. I would not run a pipedream with a tall 130mm fork daughter has one and we found 120mm ideal for the frame.

jim
    Free Member

PA is very nice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Just been given 130mm forks – what frame’ is closed to new replies.