Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Junk E-Mail since GDPR
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Having cleared out a bucket of crap from my email junk folders a week after GDPR came in, I now rarely receive junk like I once used to.

No “Russian Brides”, no “Blue pils” no “Nigerian Fund Management/Debt consolidation” and no junk from those “you are receiving this becuse you bought xx from one of our partners etc..”

I check in there about once a week, rarely get more than a handful across 4main mail accounts.

👍🙏🎡

P-Jay
    Free Member

That was probably the more surprising thing about the whole GDPR e-mail reset thing, I never thought for a second that the crap that poured into my junk folder was in any way regulated or they would give two hoots about it.

Generally my e-mail is now so useful again, I actually allow notifications on my phone!

thepurist

I doubt a lot of those will be stopped by GDPR – that would primarly affect marketing from people that had got your email address some time in the past and had continued to use it.  They’d have asked for you to opt in and if you ignored them they have (as required) stopped marketing to you.

The spammers won’t be concerned about you not ticking the ‘opt in’ box to hear about their latest drug offerings or to get updates on wealthy members of royalty who died suddenly and have a large sum of money that needs keeping safe.

convert

Alpkit are one of only a handful of companies that still spam me weekly with ‘offers’. I would unsubscribe but sadly I find them interesting!

nwallace
    Free Member

I doubt a lot of those will be stopped by GDPR – that would primarly affect marketing from people that had got your email address some time in the past and had continued to use it.  They’d have asked for you to opt in and if you ignored them they have (as required) stopped marketing to you.

Since the GDPR effectively nullified any pre-existing opt-in/opt-out (since previous rules banned presumed consent but not consent by default) the spammers were suddenly faced with a situation where their business plan would lead them to hefty fines. It very much is the GDPR that’s done this.

theotherjonv

I agree, very happy about it – but conversely, I’m getting significantly more calls from ‘I hear you had a car accident that wasn’t your fault’ people….

DezB
    Free Member

The biggest difference to me, is my gmail junk folder is now full (alongside the same old spam crap) of fake GDPR messages, like –

Not that what goes there bothers me in the slightest. Good filtering on Gmail.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Maybe all the “confirm now” mails just get deleted before they hit my mail accounts now ?

Glad if that’s the case TBH.

retro83
    Free Member

Good filtering on Gmail.

Yeah TBH I haven’t noticed any difference TBH since GMail’s spam filters work so well.

I am starting to get a bit bored of having to click through a load of stupid ‘accept our cookies’ screens every time I go to a new site though.

flannol
    Free Member

Yeah TBH I haven’t noticed any difference TBH since GMail’s spam filters work so well.

I am starting to get a bit bored of having to click through a load of stupid ‘accept our cookies’ screens every time I go to a new site though.

Never click Accept. Don’t click “I don’t accept” either……….

In the body of the text they write there will always be a “these vendors” URL or something like that. Click that. Untick the boxes. Then press ‘I am finished’

They are sneakily preying on people just pressing one of the two accept/don’t buttons.

thepurist

Since the GDPR effectively nullified any pre-existing opt-in/opt-out (since previous rules banned presumed consent but not consent by default) the spammers were suddenly faced with a situation where their business plan would lead them to hefty fines. It very much is the GDPR that’s done this

Someone running a 419 scam will still just buy a list of email addresses from a dodgy dark web site and send them emails, consent or not.  That’s mostly what came through as spam (for me) anyway as anyone legitimately marketing to me had to give the chance to unsubscribe anyway, which I did when I didn’t want the emails.

bikebouy
    Free Member

In the body of the text they write there will always be a “these vendors” URL or something like that. Click that. Untick the boxes. Then press ‘I am finished’

Interestng advice, thanks.

So far I’ve left the “accept cookies” and just reading over the top of the invasive screen whilst reading the sites.

I’ve drilled down a few of the “change privacy” links and unclicked all of them on the sites I visit often, this one included.

DezB
    Free Member

They are sneakily preying on people

Woo-oooh! Scary stuff. Stray cookies on my PC! I can’t sleep nights

drlex
    Free Member

On The Stockroom’s mailing list? That’s NSFW, Dez…

Drac

Since the GDPR effectively nullified any pre-existing opt-in/opt-out (since previous rules banned presumed consent but not consent by default) the spammers were suddenly faced with a situation where their business plan would lead them to hefty fines. It very much is the GDPR that’s done thiS

😂😂😂

Spammers aren’t legitimate companies they don’t give a shit about GDPR, it is no magic wand to end spam. If anything I get more now as there seems to a reason they’re getting around my hosts email filters.

DezB
    Free Member

On The Stockroom’s mailing list? That’s NSFW, Dez…

If it goes in my spam folder, it’s never opened and I haven’t got a clue what it is! Unlike your good self, it seems.. 😉

Flaperon

Only junk email I’ve had in the last few weeks has been from Rosetta Stone.  One to two emails a day for a fortnight. Fortunately Google moved them into spam automatically, but it’s remarkable that a big company would be so inept in its marketing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Junk E-Mail since GDPR’ is closed to new replies.