JOHN GEDDES CYCLES LIVERPOOL YOU COULD NOT MAKE IT UP.
Stoner – There’s a shop in Surrey who do just that. Their name escapes me at the moment but you pay £20 or so for a card allowing you a total of 24 hours worth of test ride over a month period allowing you try any of their test frames
However you’re not allowed to take it to Wales… tried that 🙁Posted 6 years agopolyMember
A number of shops offer a variant of that. The issue is you can still only demo stuff they have in stock. So if you want a different size its tough luck – if like me you are on the cusp between two sizes, you might want to try the same bike in a couple of sizes. It might be better if “hotlines” and other distributors could offer such a solution so that you could go round all their outlets and still not loose out.
Personally though I’ve no problem paying £40 for a day “hire” to try out a bike even if I didn’t get it back.
However, its clear that bike sales are thriving at the moment, and so I think its unlikely anyone will be increasing their risk to try and sell more if they don’t need to.Posted 6 years agocharlie the bikemongerSubscriber
I totally believe in demo bikes… We have a shop full of them.
You are either a box mover (selling units of bike) or a proper bike shop.
Also if the shop staff have actually experienced the bike, then they are qualified to advise customers. Almost everything I have ever sold… I have also ridden ( which is nice as I get to play on bikes)Posted 6 years agohammeriteMember
Foxy – did the bike shop you got the Kulas from let you try them first?
Perhaps the trial/demo bike thing depends on what sort of bike shop they are and what time of year it is. If they mainly stock bikes that are most likely to be bought as Christmas presents then they’re possibly just quite busy this time of year, and spending time with someone who wants to demo a higher end bike with a view to buy could waste some of the time they spend in selling/building up bikes for Christmas sales – which could be higher margin business. They are a business, they know their business and I guess act accordingly.Posted 6 years agotimcMember
hora – Member
The clue is in the title. Its Liverpool. I imagine they’ve had a fair few bikes nicked.
Jokes been done funny man, check this out anyway…Posted 6 years agototalshellSubscriber
like any business you know when you are dealing with serious buyers.. we turn 90% of enquires into sales the other 10% we didnt try or priced too high as we didnt want the business/hassle/ simply didnt like them..
my LBS stand up guys ride what they sell small town/ village high end stuff they charge for a demo ( returned if you buy) i didnt buy the bike from them but ive spent every other cycling dollar in there.. and then went back and bought clothing to wear on the trials bikes..
no names but you d have to be into tie dying to live there..Posted 6 years agonjee20Subscriber
And therein lies the problem. The first year we did test bikes we had a Spesh Epic, we charged £20 to take it out for a day (preferably within one business day, but some were for 24 hours), and it got utterly ruined, as people just thought ‘well £20 is less than it’ll cost to fix my bike after this ride’.
Now tend to do guided test rides, don’t charge, but go with the customer for an hour or two and show them a route to suit them and the bike. Used to enjoy doing that!
Car park tests are fine though, actively encouraged.Posted 6 years agocr500domSubscriber
Its only recently that youve been able to get Demo rides on Motorbikes and even now its not as widespread as youd like….
And thats on something costing considerably more…
I dont see a problem with Paying 40-£50 a throw on a proper demo ride once youve narrowed down the choices, refunded against a sale If the shop also takes a deposit to cover any damage or serious wear then that should cover the aforementioned Brakepad etc issues and you would weed out the nobbers who are not interested in buying the bike 😀Posted 6 years agodruidhMember
thebikechain – Member
I remember a couple of years ago a chap took a brand new demo 214 down to wales for a weekend.
It came back on monday and needed full set of new pads, a new BB, new front rotor and a darn good wash.
The £30 demo fee didn’t cover it.One might argue that the demo bike fulfilled it’s purpose for that potential buyer. If it needed all that work after just one weekend……Posted 6 years ago
The topic ‘JOHN GEDDES CYCLES LIVERPOOL YOU COULD NOT MAKE IT UP.’ is closed to new replies.