Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • John Bishop's triathlon
  • Harry_the_Spider

5 days.

185 miles on a bike.
    Row the Channel.
    Run 3 marathons.

He’s in the boat now.

Sounds horrific.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/john-bishop-rows-the-english-channel-746538

brakes
    Free Member

what is it about these celebrity endeavours that I dislike so much?
    am I being completely irrational?
    I liked the Eddie Izzard one, but all the others I just think ‘meh!’

crispo
    Free Member

Good on him I say! Not an easy thing to do and going to raise an awful lot of money for charity!

Burls72
    Free Member

what is it about these celebrity endeavours that I dislike so much?
    am I being completely irrational?

I’m the same. I can’t help but think they have seen what it can do for your career and think i’ll have piece of that. Years ago nobody was interested in doing children in need now it’s a complete luvvie fest, all trying to emulate Angela Rippon. Then again I am cynical and should see that whatever their motives it does raise money for good causes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m not sure it is selfish or not, but even if it is, raising money for charity by doing marathons/cycling/swimming etc has got to be better than having some kind of Katie Price style kiss-and-tell story over the front pages of the trashy newspapers.

I went down to The Thames so see David Walliams swim past and there were loads of families out waving him on and stuff. I think there must be a positive message in there somewhere. I guess its raising the profile of sports and charity too

convert

These celeb challenges are very different in levels of impressiveness. Izzard’s was awesome and Walliams has done stuff most ordinary folk could not manage. The celeb JOLE and the swim the Irish Sea one were pretty pants I thought. Cringe worthy levels of poor preparation and faux angst.

This one looks pretty tough by anyone’s standards. Is this not using your celeb status in a good way (with a healthy dollop of career promotion to boot)?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t think bishop is doing it for any help up the fame ladder, he’s had a meteoric rise to fame already an has a massive sell out tour in the pipeline. I think he’s a genuinely funny bloke and is doing it all for the right reasons.

brakes
    Free Member

it seems to be the wrong way round.
    you should gain notoriety for your incredible endeavours, not do less-incredible endeavours because of your notoriety
    maybe I wish those who completed truly incredible feats achieved the celebrity status of John Bishop/ Helen Skelton/ Matt Baker/ David Walliams* like in the good old days 🙂

*idiot

IanMunro
    Free Member

The title slightly confused me, as I know another John Bishop, who also did a tripple /decca ironman – can’t remember which, but I remember it was stupid 🙂

MSP

iirc John Bishop was featured in a cycle mag a year or so back, I think he is a bit of a cycling nut himself.

Harry_the_Spider

🙄

He didn’t have to do it though did he? The easiest thing would have been to sit on his arse at home and write a cheque for a couple of hundred quid.

People moaned about Moyles & Co. climbing that mountain and raising a shed load of cash. Again, the easiest thing would be not to do it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IT’S NOT A TRIATHLON

davidjones15
    Free Member

you should gain notoriety for your incredible endeavours, not do less-incredible endeavours because of your notoriety

Why not? It’s all about raising money, no? If John Bishop can get 4 million people to give a quid then that has to be a good thing. Even taking Bear Gryll, how many of the population will recognise him for his endeavours over his TV personality?

CaptJon
    Free Member

It took him 17 hours to do the cycling leg after falling off early on. He got an hour of sleep before getting up to row the channel (with Andrew Flintoff, Davina McCall and Denise Lewis) in February. Then he’s got the running to do.

He’s had lots of support, as everyone who does these Sport Relief events. He also has my respect because he’s put lots of effort in, and is doing something i couldn’t. Plus he’s going to raise over £1m for people who need it.

I can’t stand his comedy, though.

The trouble with these events is often the way they get hyped up (see Skelton’s ‘cycle to the south pole’). Ignore the publicity – which is totally needed to get the donations – and it is hard to be so cynical.

Text ‘sport’ to 70011 to donate a quid. You can follow it here: https://twitter.com/#!/sportrelief

MSP

People moaned about Moyles & Co. climbing that mountain walking up an inclined path and raising a shed load of cash.

😉

If moyles had been climbing a mountain I would have been there like a shot to cut thr rope!

wrightyson
    Free Member

How many on here could ride 185 miles in a day??I reckon not as many as we’d hope for !!

Harry_the_Spider

Climbed, walked, whatever. He still did it.

Woody
    Free Member

I think he deserves credit for what he’s done and his rise has indeed been meteoric. He was my ex’s old boss (very good job in pharma industry) and when he said he was leaving to be a comedian no-one could believe it. He has also been a keen cyclist for a long time and has done some very long distance trips IIRC.

Yes, he does get the publicity but he’s also put himself out and given up his time to raise a lot of money, so hats off to him.

ps. I don’t think he’s very funny either

IanMunro
    Free Member

IT’S NOT A TRIATHLON

This is true.
    He’s not even bothered with a pointy hat and a man bra.

sharkbait
    Free Member

He has also been a keen cyclist for a long time and has done some very long distance trips IIRC.

Seems. Strange then that he fell off the bike at traffic lights when he didn’t unclip 🙂

stever
    Free Member

Tough crowd.

Good on him I say; it must be very tough.

I found it rather embarrassing though that for all his effort and continued exposure on Radio 1, by the time Scott Mills spoke to him this afternoon listeners had donated £199k. Dont quote me on exact figures, but had it been fatty Moyles trudging up a mountain, the figure would probably have been ten times that.

Yes, I have donated.

spacemonkey

I genuinely don’t think bishop is doing it for any help up the fame ladder, he’s had a meteoric rise to fame already an has a massive sell out tour in the pipeline. I think he’s a genuinely funny bloke and is doing it all for the right reasons.

Here, here.

I’m the same. I can’t help but think they have seen what it can do for your career and think i’ll have piece of that.

IMO Mr Izzard’s career has hardly taken a leap forward in the 2 years since. Still an unfunny bloke (saw him live – 2 hrs I won’t get back). And Walliams didn’t exactly need more exposure.

grum
    Free Member

Good on him. Mebbe should concentrate on his comedy routines though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Did anyone watch the documentary last night? Hadn’t realised he finished the bike ride at 4am and had to get up at 6 to row the channel?!!

Mental.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I saw it. Fair do’s to the guy, respect! raised 1.6 million in the end and you could tell the last couple of days were agony. No,I think his comedy is rubbish as well, but he’s a determined bugger!

binners

Christ! There are some right miserable bastards on here!

How dare he raise his profile! By cynically and opportunistically raising £1.6 million for charity?!! Have a word with yourself FFS!! 🙄

Kevevs
    Free Member

I thought he was pretty inspiring and had a great attitude – you know when you have a bit of a hangover or a bad nights sleep and you can’t be arsed to ride bike in the morning. I really liked the story of how he got into comedy as well – he’d split with his wife and only had his kids at weekends and was utterly depressed on mondays so decided to go to a comedy club to cheer himself up – but it was 4 quid to get in or free if you have a go! Pretty positive type bloke.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The most impressive bit to me is that at the end, he was still actually jogging, albeit slowly yes, not walking/crawling/being carried.

Respect is due.

Yes I donated.

D0NK

I’m in awe of anyone who does immense stuff like this. Cynical side of me says the celeb will get plenty of exposure and another part of me is saddened that JB or DW will raise millions by doing stuff but if Joe Bloggs from skipton decided to run twice around the world in 2 weeks he’d only earn a few hundred quid for sport relief, mainly from friends and family.

But well done to the man.

gee68
    Free Member

I found it very inspirational and the wife was in tears by the end of it.
    He put a huge amount of effort in and raised a sh*t load of cash,top bloke and pretty damn funny imho.

I shall be thinking of him when i run the poxy three miles for sport relief on Sunday when im moaning about my kneecaps,shins and ankles giving out. 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

chapeau to the fella.

Bunnyhop

Yes, totally agree that his efforts were amazing.

Regarding his comedy, shirly I’m not the only one to find him (naturally) funny?

Wozza
    Free Member

I watched it last night and was very impressed.

fatmax

Shame on him. If £5 is enough to SAVE A LIFE, and he raised £1.6m…he deserves a kicking for not doing more and doing it incognito.

I really can’t believe (well I can, because it’s STW) that you lot can be so miserable about such an effort and about such a cause. Those that whinged, you must swim in a sea of cynicism. Miserable lot…

iDave
    Free Member

What he did was impressive whatever his motivation, but I can’t listen to the bloke. The most grating voice on the planet – scouse with a mouthful of gravel. *shudders*

lunge

A hugely difficult challenge irrelevent of who was doing it. The fact that it was a guy who could get some serious TV and radio coverage and therefore make more money for the charity is even better. A massive effort and very emotional towards the end.

And to those who mention Chris Moyles, you can insult him all you like but the guy has raised some serious money for charity. The longest show got over £2 million, I think Kili was not far off that as well. His shows listeners also consistantly donate large amounts to events he/the BBC supports (like Bishops efforts).

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

He cost me £10 last night 🙂

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I’m in awe of anyone who does immense stuff like this. Cynical side of me says the celeb will get plenty of exposure and another part of me is saddened that JB or DW will raise millions by doing stuff but if Joe Bloggs from skipton decided to run twice around the world in 2 weeks he’d only earn a few hundred quid for sport relief, mainly from friends and family.

I’m not sure thats strictly the truth – I donated last night but not because it was John Bishop.
    I would’ve donated regardless of the participant as the challenge was so immense.

The fact is though that its far easiler to put a celebs ‘antics’ in front of a large crowd and hence draw more money.

allthepies
    Free Member

but I can’t listen to the bloke. The most grating voice on the planet – scouse with a mouthful of gravel. *shudders*

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘John Bishop's triathlon’ is closed to new replies.