Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of Course, the real turmoil for Labour is yet to come, with the EU referendum rearing its ugly head before long

Because of course the Tories aren’t hopelessly divided between Europhiles and Eurosceptics** 🙄

** Or “bastards” as former Tory PM John Major famously called them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/major-says-three-in-cabinet-are-bastards-1486997.html

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PMQ’s. I’ve thought for some time that I’d like to see a leading debater on either front bench simply talk quietly in an ordinary conversational manner ignoring all the jeering and school-playground shouty nonsense, finding that the chamber becomes quiet because there’s no other way of hearing what is being said, as the member speaking simply keeps quietly talking underneath all the noise.

I’ve a feeling Jeremy Corbyn could be that person.

allthepies
    Free Member

PMQ’s. I’ve thought for some time that I’d like to see a leading debater on either front bench simply talk quietly in an ordinary conversational manner ignoring all the jeering and school-playground shouty nonsense, finding that the chamber becomes quiet because there’s no other way of hearing what is being said, as the member speaking simply keeps quietly talking underneath all the noise.

I’ve a feeling Jeremy Corbyn could be that person.

Did you not see Jezza lose the plot on channel 4 news under mild questioning last week?

tyrionl1
    Free Member

He’s getting a lot of coverage right now and the bloody media ar having it away with him which does beg the question do they think, (tinfoil conspiracy)being right wing b’stards, that by getting him elected it’ll help keep the Tories in power forever? I seriously think they may have misjudged the mood, he’s a serious guy, no doubt a conviction politician the like of which we haven’t seen for a long time, lots more like him than they realise and this continual slamming the poor, disabled is going to eventually bite them in their collective butts.

ransos
    Free Member

Did you not see Jezza lose the plot on channel 4 news under mild questioning last week?

Must have missed that. I did see him put a Ch4 interviewer in his place, though.

irc

The EU referendum might be Corbyn’s path to power. Win the labour leadership. Perfectly possible. Then campaign for a no vote on Europe.

But if he were to win the Labour leadership, then declare himself an EU ‘Outer’ and campaign for ‘No’; and if the ‘No’ side were to triumph, a humiliated David Cameron would have to resign, and the country would bellow for change. An EU referendum is a long time in politics.

Jeremy Corbyn's path to power is more plausible than people think

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought it made him look quite human actually, as opposed to a slick PR created political product. Although he could do well to curb his anger in front of cameras, even though I can understand that the Middle East and the plight of the Palestinian people is an emotive issue – it often makes me very angry too, specially when the media is so stacked in Israel’s favour.

And I would dispute that it was “mild questioning”, I thought it was quite aggressive. I would also dispute that he lost the plot – I thought he stuck to the plot quite well.

epicyclo

I also think Corbyn is the biggest danger to the continued rise of the SNP – if he gets elected leader.

While I would like to see Labour regain its purpose (and LibDems for that matter), the longer they are in disarray, the better.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Bolli the builder said “And I would dispute that it was “mild questioning”, I thought it was quite aggressive. I would also dispute that he lost the plot – I thought he stuck to the plot quite well.”

And we agree again, that Forgethisnameon C4 has been trying to be the tough guy and failing ever since Paxman hung up his hat, I also thought it was refreshing, him and that absolute other nob end on C4 make me puke.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well, it’s not easy to accuse Blair of a lack of conviction, even from my uninformed position.

but unfortunately difficult to get Blair convicted of the crimes against humanity of which he has been accused.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

“He’ll never get elected as leader by Labour.

Unfortunately.”

The more of us – the general public, sign up to Labour to vote for him the more chance he has.
    There is still time to join up to vote for Corbyn.

Its the first time I have ever signed up to a political party. Worth every penny. I still have to decide who to vote for for the Deputy Leader position.

Which Deputy Leader are any of you voting for and why?

irc

1983 – Labour manifesto – longest suicide note in history.

2015 Vote for Corbyn – biggest suicide vote in history.

epicyclo

irc – Member
    …2015 Vote for Corbyn – biggest suicide vote in history.

If you look at that thick black line in scotroutes graph, I think you’ll find that it might give a clue to where Labour’s voters have gone.

If Corbyn gets elected leader, it may be the biggest political rescue in history, because at the moment Labour is doing that cliche – re-arranging the deckchairs while denying they are sinking.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes of course irc, because the Labour Party will thrive and grow under leadership of this woman

I can see Scottish former Labour voters deserting the SNP on mass as they return to the warm embrace of a Labour party led by Liz Kendell. Once again they will feel that the Labour Party is the party which represents them.

In fact millions of former Labour voters throughout the country who can no longer be even arsed to vote will rush to enthusiastically support a party led by Liz Kendell, her connection with ordinary working people and persuasive debating skills is frankly quite staggering.

She will be the next Labour Prime Minister.

*rolls eyes*

I think pretty clear who the suicide candidate is.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

History suggests that Labour should not panic – they will be back in power. The question is timing and that will be determined by whether they ask the right questions now or whether they get lost in this BS left versus right debate. Labour did not lose by being too “any wing”. They lost because more of the Tory core turn out espcially the silver vote, the C1s don’t buy Labour’s message and the ability of the SNP to hoodwink they Scottich electorate (and the LDs gifting the SW to the Tories)

They did well among the young and the lower classes and the vote was pretty stable. The SNP mirage will evaporate when people see thought the anti-austerity (sic) message and the it’s all the fault of the English narrative and they will recover in Scotland.

The last thing they should do is panic or have their equivalent of an IDS (an obvious non-leader) as their leader.

Of course, they are panicking and asking the wrong questions, so will probably lose 2020 as well. All a bit silly really but amusing political pantomime in the meantime

allthepies
    Free Member

Jezza on Marr prog now

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks switched off when the deceitful one came on with his usual BS. Good to watch Jezza…

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    Thanks switched off when the deceitful one came on with his usual BS…

I’m surprised Cameron was on the same programme. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

The SNP mirage will evaporate when people see thought the anti-austerity (sic) message and the it’s all the fault of the English narrative and they will recover in Scotland.

Seriously, can we have just one polital discussion without you diverting it towards your predictably boring SNP bashing? You’ve just about used all your typical bingo calls as well so you probably should give it a rest to keep things interesting.

Considering you live in Surrey you claim to know a lot about what is going on up here, the truth is you know bugger all and tbh you couldn’t be more wrong. Labour have lost the fight up here as the Tories did before them, if they ever want to regain lost ground then they are going to have to fundamentally change.

epicyclo

squirrelking – Member
    …Labour have lost the fight up here as the Tories did before them, if they ever want to regain lost ground then they are going to have to fundamentally change.

We stopped listening to the line being pushed in the media owned by the foreign billionaires and the PR trained monkeys jumping to do their political donors bidding.

Social media has enabled the spread of information much quicker and the exposure of the diet of lies we get in the media. Unless Labour wakes up to this and starts listening to their disaffected, they’re done for.

convert

Social media has enabled the spread of information much quicker and the exposure of the diet of lies we get in the media.

To be honest if the drivel of half truths, generalities and banal idealism that is passed off as political comment on my social media feeds is considered by the general populous as an accurate representation of the news and current thinking we are thoroughly screwed whatever.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seriously, can we have just one polital discussion without you diverting it towards your predictably boring SNP bashing

Indeed, heaven forbid that the future of the LP should take Scotland into account. But take the point, criticism of the SNP is verboten. The masters of authoratitve rule and argument suppression.

the truth is you know bugger all

Spot on. And like Andrew Marr yesterday I am very keen to learn why the SNP are so reluctant to use their current fiscal powers or why they think cutting corporation tax suits their anti-austerity (sic) agenda. Among many “hiddens” obviously. So for those of us in ignorance it was a pity that the deceitful one chose not to answer a perfectly straight question yesterday. Plus ca change. Talk about bingo……

Labour have lost the fight up here as the Tories did before them, if they ever want to regain lost ground then they are going to have to fundamentally change.

Well that is the debate isn’t it. You have set out your hypothesis and I have set out mine ie, no panic, once the SNP are subject to proper scrutiny and opposition, the mirage will crumble. Of course they will spin the opposite because it is in their interest to do so and make the LP look like a party in panic.

Back to Corbyn, he does an ok job at looking like not panicking but there is that combustible core that just needs a little prodding and then the angry man emerges quite quickly. It’s up the the party to decide whether that is the characteristic of a leader and potential PM or not before the electorate do so.

ninfan
    Free Member

Indeed, should make for interesting PMQ’s as I’m sure Cameron’s team will be carefully sifting through old files and videos to identify which buttons to press…

allthepies
    Free Member

needs a little prodding and then the angry man emerges quite quickly.

Apparently… that’s refreshing to see and plays well with the punters 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

that combustible core that just needs a little prodding and then the angry man emerges quite quickly.

That’s my favorite bit!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It was a good interview on Marr, came across as very genuine and reasonable.

ninfan
    Free Member

Apparently… that’s refreshing to see and plays well with the punters

indeed, just the sort of ‘makes him come across as human and utterley sincere’ qualities that Labour identified they needed in a leader last time round, rather than the cold hearted leadership type qualities that won them elections.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

the angry man emerges quite quickly

I didn’t notice him getting angry on the Andrew Marr yesterday.

When you say quite quickly THM do you actually mean “not” very quickly, or he “once” got angry ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think he means “quite” (sic).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well he seemed very slow to get angry yesterday.

Which is why I was asking.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any left leaning politician should be angry right now, tbh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

indeed, just the sort of ‘makes him come across as human and utterley sincere’ qualities that Labour identified they needed in a leader last time round, rather than the cold hearted leadership type qualities that won them elections.

It’s hard to imagine what Tony Blair could get angry about. Certainly not injustice in the Middle East which is what triggered Corbyn.

binners

Labour have lost the fight up here as the Tories did before them, if they ever want to regain lost ground then they are going to have to fundamentally change.

The Scots were offered a credible alternative to a labour party that had complacently taken their votes for granted for decades. And just look how they embraced it. If voters in the so-called ‘Northern Labour Heartlands’ we re offered the same alternative, they’d embrace it with equal enthusiasm for the same reasons

The labour party in its present state simply cannot feasibly ever win another election. It has zero appeal t most people. Its a political irrelevence that has no idea what it is actually meant to represent any more.

But when I look at the candidates for the leadership, I don’t think any of them even begins to grasp just how electorally ****ed they actually are. They’re in complete denial. So how can they possibly hope to offer a serious credible proposition to the electorate within 5 years. Barring another global financial metdown or something monumental going wrong for the Tories (and I can’t see it – not even with the referendum), Labour has already conceded the next election. Its already lost.

And you can forget Boris or Theresa. It’ll be PM Osbourne. Jesus… what a thought!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Neither – he has held himself back rather well so far, maybe the party PR machine is working already. But it’s fairly obvious from Marr and C4 that there is a combustible core and you can bet your bottom dollar that his opponents will be identifying and pushing the appropriate buttons. You know – labelling him incorrectly, misquoting him, manipulating facts, swerving – all the things that irritating people do on a regular basis esp in the Internet age.

It could be fun to watch – the political panto continues.

Fun distraction from the real world. Seems from the not-very-left-wing Guardian that he is doing even better than expected. Good for him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If voters in the so-called ‘Northern Labour Heartlands’ we re offered the same alternative, they’d embrace it with equal enthusiasm for the same reasons

You mean the alternative to austerity and Trident replacement which saw the SNP sweep across Scotland in May ?

Well that alternative has an appeal in the ‘London Labour Heartland’ too.

Since becoming MP for Islington North Jeremy Corbyn has increased his majority by 5 times, and gone from 40% of the vote to 60% of the vote, making his seat one of the safest Labour seats in the UK.

Some people people claim he’s a certain election loser btw.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, that makes him a winner in Islington. Not exactly a good sample for the likeliest UK outcome…

binners

I’ve said it earlier on on this thread Ernie but the labour party actually returning to what they’re meant to be surely can’t be any less electorally appealing than the present utterly pointless, rudderless Tory-lite incarnation. They’d lose a lot of voters, pick up others, and who knows how that would balance out.

But I see no way that Liz whats-her-name, Eds wife, or Andy Burnham have the slightest clue how to make the labour party an actual electable political force, so they might as well have a punt on Jezza. It can’t really get any worse, can it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Any left leaning politician should be angry right now, tbh.

Indeed and imagine how angry their supporters (France, Greece) must be when they see their leaders implementing policies that even those nasty Tories would be scared of!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Read the posts Woppit. I’m talking to binners about ‘Labour Heartlands’.

dragon
    Free Member

Since becoming MP for Islington North Jeremy Corbyn has increased his majority by 5 times, and gone from 40% of the vote to 60% of the vote, making his seat one of the safest Labour seats in the UK.

Wow talk about selectively picking your data, that 1983 data point (Corbyn’s 1st election win) is the worst election result by % for Labour in that seat since they won it in 1937!!! In fact it shows how unpopular the Labour party was between the late 70’s to late 80’s as those are some of the worst results in what has clearly been a Labour safe seat since before WW2.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.