Viewing 40 posts - 19,041 through 19,080 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It’s unbelievable that no labour front bencher, let alone Corbyn was available to comment on the C4 piece on negative growth in the economy! 🙈🙈🙈

kelvin

The opposition story for the media yesterday was the Corbyn letter to the Cabinet Sec

The one where, after letting the date slip to call a VONC in the new government to get an election before we leave, when other party leaders and resigning government ministers were calling for a vote, he then writes a letter seeking clarification on what will now happen when the election is too late.

I honestly don’t know if this is a politically astute plan to gain power after a No Deal Brexit, or just utterly inept. You choose. Either way, I’m not voting Labour again now ‘till he and his Straight Left back room men have been moved on. No policy shift will be enough if they have enabled No Deal, whether by design or ineptitude.

martinhutch

But weak economy is a Govt story not an opposition one – its usual to lead with a Govt spokesperson and follow up with expert analysis.

As someone who has worked in a national media newsroom, this depends on a number of factors, including the thrust of the government response, and the availability (and rank) of an opposition spokesman. So if the Shadow Chancellor’s team was actively trying to get him involved in the package for the One, Six or Ten, I’d expect him to be accommodated at some point. Even if he didn’t make the main bulletin package, would he not be interviewed for the News Channel?

The suggestion that no-one was available for C4N implies a more convincing reason that no interview was conducted or aired.

olddog

Kelvin – I want commenting on the content of the letter just that it was the lead story overnight into Thursday morning. This was then overtaken by slowing economy then power outage.

The general point I was making is the relentless one-eyed posting on this thread – Labour does something that gets loads of media – it’s shit. The Govt is **** up the economy and Labour isn’t leading the debate – it’s shit.

Where are the posts on the Johnson thread about the complete silence from Govt on the power outages yesterday?

There were earlier jokey posts about missing THM and the other right wing posters. I do actually miss them because a range of views – even those which I very much oppose – is healthy.

But these forums have become subject to an orthodoxy where anyone who holds views that are too left or too right, offers any sort of nuanced view on Brexit, any sort support for either main party is pilloried and mocked.

I know this intolerance comes out of a sense of disenfranchisement from those in the middle ground who are used to politics orbiting tight to their view of the world. I think lots of people who are used to a great deal of personal agency are not used to feeling of impotence and are venting but it doesn’t exactly make for great debate or reading

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Where are the posts on the Johnson thread about the complete silence from Govt on the power outages yesterday?

They are probably waiting for the “wouldn’t happen if it was nationalised” quote from JC first

The actual incident is going to be investigated by the relevant agencies in detail, the way the grid operates may need to be updated but fundamentally everything did what it was supposed to. Whaley Bridge is a an order of magnitude more significant.

olddog

B’n’D I think a failure (albeit temporary) of national infrastructure is pretty important – but a photo-op looking concerned at at Whaley Bridge too good for Johnson and Corbyn to pass up!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

any sort support for either main party is pilloried and mocked.

Maybe that’s because they are both sh1t?

kelvin

any sort support for either main party is pilloried and mocked.

I voted for one of those main parties at the last election. So feel free to mock my support. Sorry if I’m unimpressed with Corbyn’s work since then. I won’t apologise for having never considered Johnson as someone I would like to run my country though… I wouldn’t want him running my local school, or GP service, or even the local pub… never mind the government.

Oh, and feel free to post links to Corbyn standing up for us against the shift to the right and towards the hardest possible Brexit… and you could also explain why he didn’t call a vote as regards the new government in time for an election to be held before our exit date. I mean, we’ve had years of the answer to the Brexit conundrum being “we want a general election so that we can have a Labour government to sort this out” and then, at the last minute… nothing… no vote even when other party leaders, and resigning government ministers, are calling for one. Now it’s probably too late for that pre-Brexit election, isn’t it?

tjagain

and you could also explain why he didn’t call a vote as regards the new government in time for an election to be held before our exit date.

He tried a vote of no confidence and it failed. I assume that he had taken soundings and knew another would fail. Labour also tried to take control of the parliamentary proceedures to stop brexit, 18 labour mps did not support it hence it failed.

To get a VONC thru requires tories to rebel. At this point they will not – they will only do so if its desparate.

5thElefant
    Free Member

To get a VONC thru requires tories to rebel. At this point they will not – they will only do so if its desparate.

There’s no shortage of rebel tories. It’s the large number of labour mps that don’t want to hand Corbyn the keys to the country that are his problem.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

There’s no shortage of rebel tories.

And yet not a single one vote against their own government/PM in the last VONC in January.

It’s the large number of labour mps that don’t want to hand Corbyn the keys to the country that are his problem.

And yet not a single one voted with the government/PM in the last VONC in January.

dazh

It’s the large number of labour mps that don’t want to hand Corbyn the keys to the country that are his problem.

But I thought the suspicion that labour centrists preferred a Tory govt to a Corbyn one was the product of 6th form commie paranoia?

kelvin

in January

Er… we know about back then, what about when government ministers resigned, and put one of their number forward to ask the speaker for a vote… but were told by the speaker that the Leader Of The Opposition must make the call… why didn’t he? THIS government has not faced a VONC, and members of the LAST government were not only ready to vote against it, but were calling for a vote themselves. So why didn’t Corbyn try, when it was the last and best chance to get an election before we are due to leave?

kelvin

He tried a vote of no confidence and it failed

in January

Er… we know about back then, what about when government ministers resigned, and put one of their number forward to ask the speaker for a vote… but were told by the speaker that the Leader Of The Opposition must make the call… why didn’t he? THIS government has not faced a VONC, and members of the LAST government were not only ready to vote against it, but were calling for a vote themselves. So why didn’t Corbyn try, when it was the last and best chance to get an election before we are due to leave?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So why didn’t Corbyn try, when it was the last and best chance to get an election before we are due to leave?

No doubt because these ‘rebellious’ Tories would be more concerned about the damage supporting a VONC would do to their party than doing the right thing for the country. Tories have a long history of putting party allegiance first and foremost.

Also, supporting a VONC could (would?) be construed by local Conservative Party members and constituency voters as supporting Corbyn, which would likely be career suicide for said MPs. You only have to see how much Pro-EU Tories are being hounded by their local parties to have an idea of what could happen.

Ultimately though, with the Confidence and Supply deal with the DUP the Tories only need to 3 line whip (with the threat of losing the whip if MPs abstain) to fend off a VONC.

So without being able guarantee a VONC being upheld is it sensible to persue one? A failed VONC is in effect a vote of confidence, and what we definitely don’t need is an emboldened Boris Johnson and ERG.

It’s easy to say “he should call a VONC” but few seem to have considered the outcome if its unsuccessful.

dazh

Sooty you’re forgetting about the magic button in  ‘The Bunker’, guarded 24/7 by ‘The Cabal’, for fear that Jezza might betray his 6th form acolytes by ignoring the huge ‘DO NOT PRESS’ sign.

kelvin

career suicide for said MPs

Well, resigning from the government, and calling for a vote against the new Johnson lead one, was probably career suicide anyway… so you could have expected those ex-ministers that did that would have been new votes against the new PM that were for the last one in January, at the least. All Conservative MPs against No Deal will have their cards marked now anyway, with their local parties now full of new Brexit First BlueKIP members.

A failed VONC is in effect a vote of confidence, and what we definitely don’t need is an emboldened Boris Johnson and ERG.

LoL.

Johnson & The ERG now have Parliament by the testicles. They can’t/won’t vote against him, and for an election, now… because the time to do that and not end up with a rudderless UK leaving with No Deal has now passed. Strategic mistake by Corbyn and his team, or part of a plan? You decide. Either way, I’m never voting for him again.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can you blame Corbyn if no “decent journalists” want to interview him?

there are several LBC journalists that aren’t allowed to interview Corbyn, James O’Brien being one I think.

kerley
    Free Member

there are several LBC journalists

and what about “decent journalists”

dazh

I’m never voting for him again.

You’re never voting for Corbyn (not that you did anyway unless you live in Islington) because he has failed to bring down the government  and stop brexit? I might never vote for him again because he has failed to create world peace and end global poverty.

Anything else you want to blame him for not doing?Saving the rainforests? Singlehandedly reversing climate change? Putting humans on Mars? He’s such a bloody disappointment!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and what about “decent journalists”

Morning Star, Novara and The Canary, amirite comrade?

kelvin

Putting humans on Mars?

While your strawmen are fun, any chance of addressing the failings that many people who Labour need voting for them have seen in Corbyn (even if you consider them mistaken) over the last few years, and especially in the last few months?

pipm1
    Free Member

“decent journalists” I’d rather put politicians in front of difficult journalists irrespective of whether that journalist has a reputation for being on their side or not. Politicians aught to be publicly challenged & made uncomfortable etc., they get paid an enormous wage to do what, post up some inane garbage on Twitter. Ugh.

kelvin

Avoid being questioned, and post pictures of cats on Twitter instead.

salad_dodger

I was thinking Eddie Mair would be a good shout for interview purposes (I know he’s probably classed as a presenter rather than journalist). Not going to happen though is it.

binners

An update on today’s concerns from the bunker…

Finger on the pulse of the nation, as ever…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Finger on the pulse of the nation, as ever…

Actually yes. Try looking outside of your own very narrow, privileged and incredibly biased viewpoint.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/11/kashmir-tensions-spill-over-to-britain-pakistani-indian-communities

…But thousands of miles away from the verdant valleys and stunning mountain-top scenery that have led some to describe Kashmir as “paradise on Earth”, towns and cities across Britain are also feeling the repercussions.

Of the 1.1 million British Pakistanis, more than one million originate from the part of Kashmir governed by Pakistan

While there are no official figures for the number of Indian Kashmiris in Britain, the overall British Indian community numbers almost 1.4 million and support for India’s position is strong among some sections…

…“It’s a very sensitive issue for both communities and I’m worried that it could damage relations between the two. We have to make sure that whatever we do, it does not spill over into unrest or hatred between British Indians and Pakistanis,”…

…On Thursday, which is India’s independence day, a big demonstration is planned by pro-Kashmir groups outside the Indian High Commission in central London

A counter demonstration is scheduled by British supporters of India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata party (BJP). A number of other events are also set to take place to draw attention to the Kashmir issue over the coming weeks while leading British Pakistani politicians have written to the Foreign Office and the UN calling for action against India over its current actions….

As someone who works in Leicester, a city with a large Indian and Pakistani community and as someone who works with nurses from both communities this is a concern and attention rightly needs to be drawn to it.

Brexit isn’t the only topic in town and for someone who seems so vocal about being part of a larger international community its funny how you seem to restrict it to bits of the world full of people who look more like you.

Feel free to resort to type and post something ‘witty’ like calling Corbyn “magic grandad”, mentioning his allotment or some other tedious line you’ve beaten to death when you’ve **** all off any worth to actually say.

binners

Could you talk me through how supporting a policy (Red-unicorn Brexit) which massively diminishes this countries influence and makes us an international diplomatic irrelevance fits in with his supposed internationalist views

Because to the cynic it just looks like more distractionist placard-waving

Maybe he could start an online petition?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

There you go. Feel better?

Sad fact is that you are as myopic and single issue obsessed as any Brexiteers you so love to pour scorn on, and your complete lack of understanding as to why potential conflict in Kashmir has a direct impact on the UK (and thus should be addressed by our politicians) clearly reinforces this.

Edited to add (perhaps you should try adding this when you changed a post?):

And now you’re flopping around, desperately trying to disguise the fact your ‘internationalism’ is very much confined to  European-centric bigotry.

binners

Erm… ok, comrade

Maybe I need to work on my post-colonial guilt complex?

So, you’d rather not talk me through the inherently contradictory position of expressing concern about Kashmir, while proposing policies that would hugely diminish this countries ability to actually do anything about it?

Fair enough. Makes perfect sense.

Just more placard-waving, then?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Maybe I need to work on my post-colonial guilt complex?

And there you go again.

It’s not about post-Colonial guilt, it’s about addressing a concern/potential conflict that has a direct impact on a large amount of the UK population.

Due to the large Pakistani and Indian populations in the UK this country has a diplomatic voice that (I’d argue) is equally as strong, irrespective of EU membership, in this specific case. Through raising the profile of this conflict and by engaging with Pakistani and Indian community leaders within the UK so-called ‘soft diplomacy’ can occur.

I’m Pro-EU but you’re way off with your myopic view that this isn’t an equally (and for many of the the UK’s population more) important issue to be raised.

As I previously stated, the EU isn’t the only game in town.

binners

It is.

Everything else is so hugely impacted by it.

It’s that simple.

The irony of the situation is that Corbyn’s viewpoint on the biggest issue of the day is essentially the same backwards-gazing, sepia-tinted one as Bill Cash, Mark Francois and the neo-colonialists, whose ‘Make Britain Great Again’ worldview he has spent the last 3 years facilitating, and looks all set to continue to do so

There’s nothing Internationalist about it. Quite the opposite.

kerley
    Free Member

It isn’t

It’s that simple.

Brexit has been made a bigger deal than it actually is to the majority of peoples lives and most wouldn’t notice whether we are in the EU or out when it comes down to it (impact of leaving aside)

No hilarious Monty Python picture for a while, can you only use them 10 times each?

binners

You think it’ll make no difference, either way?

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! What planet are you beardy messiah worshippers on?

I’ll remind you how unimportant it is on the 1st November when the pound has tanked, the good Friday agreement hangs in the balance and the country is in chaos, and probably remind you that Corbyn facilitated this far-right lunacy every step of the way.

Then we can all sit back and watch a newly sovereign right wing government tear up workers rights, the welfare state and environmental standards and set about privatising the NHS

Because that will be just brilliant, won’t it?

But as long as the lefties get to sit back and revel in their self-indulgent ideological purity…

dazh

any chance of addressing the failings

Nope. You’ve Just said you won’t vote for him because he failed to bring down the govt before the recess, when to anyone who isn’t living in fantasyland knows there was zero chance of that happening so it’s impossible to persuade you when when you refuse to engage with the facts and instead argue from an entirely imaginary viewpoint.

Actually, let’s do a deal, i’ll Tell you why you should vote labour (not that I haven’t already) if you tell me how the Lib Dem’s can realistically stop brexit.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Brexit has been made a bigger deal than it actually is to the majority of peoples lives…

Indeed.

Unfortunately ‘binners’ is making that mistake that many in the navel-gazing middle class do; making assumptions about the world based on what affects them as individuals, and then patronisingly presenting their own opinion on behalf of folks not a ‘learned’ as them.

The vast majority of people probably don’t care that ‘binners’ and his ilk might have to get a visa for their holidays in Provence, nor that the wholesale price of quinoa may rise or that house prices may take a hit in the Home Counties.

Many of my colleagues are quite concerned about the increasing tension around Kashmir, for instance, as are many of our patients and their families.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

‘binners’ and his ilk might have to get a visa for their holidays in Provence,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAbreatheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAwerpHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AD

Sooty – I suspect the noble Brexit voters don’t give much of a **** about Kashmir. I might be wrong though.

binners

Hate to disappoint you comrade, but i’m Northern working class scum and I live in east lancs, with a huge ethnic population

I know a fraud when I see one though

What I do know is that Brexit is a ****ing site more important than Kashmir!

Maybe not for the leadership of the Labour Party, who given your present tone of attack all have (relatively) enormous salaries and live in Islington

Nice to be able to sit back and self-righteously lecture people on socialist purity when you’re on 130 grand a year and whatever you’re trousering off Russia Today and Iranian TV, and you’ve been pulling 70 grand a year for 30 odd years for doing the sum total of **** all

You know the People’s Poet has a personal worth of a few million quid, right?

Hurray for socialism!

https://youtu.be/6q0CkeuSqxk

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What I do know is that Brexit is a ****ing site more important than Kashmir!

Palestine, though…wave those flags comrades!

Viewing 40 posts - 19,041 through 19,080 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.