Viewing 40 posts - 13,961 through 14,000 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • ulysse
    Free Member

And as for no voice, while these victims may feel alone and voiceless in their desperation, Debbie Abrahams has done sterling work alongside Micheal Meacher (rip) Carolyne Lucas Mhairi Black and many other right minded MP’s

Dpac and Black Triangle. Shelter, Manchester Angels

The blogs of
    Scriptonite
    Johnnyvoid
    Vox Political
    Skawkbox
    Beastrabban
    SpeyeJoe
    Glynnis Milward
    Jane Linney and many other,s have been shouting from the rooftops since the implications of these policies became clear.

No one is alone

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shameful that people vote for the Tories whilst being fully aware of the damage these policies do.

A £90bn deficit per anum was unsustainable. The real damage was not adjusting spending earlier. Labour where relieved of Government due to a lack of credibility in running the country’s finances.

ulysse
    Free Member

Rubbish, pure unadulterated rubbish

DrJ

A £90bn deficit per anum was unsustainable.

People were talking about lives. And here you go again talking about money.

ulysse
    Free Member

What was the annual deficit running at when Atlee created the NHS and Welfare provision, remind me again?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You have to bear in mind ulysse, as far as jambalaya is concerned, unless you’re a “net contributor”, you’re just a sponge on everybody else’s money. Every human is measured in terms of his or her financial contribution. So the deaths on the DWP watch are neither here nor there; simply ollateral damage in a capitalist boom bust economy.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Also conveniently forgets that the entire reason for the shit state we’re in isn’t labours management of public money but rather the financial sector taking a dump on the entire global economy, can’t for a minute think why that would be.

ulysse
    Free Member

labour. as much as i despise them oversaw sustained economic growth from ’97 till ’08 too, its convenient to forget. And by 2010 Darling was well on track to a recovery

Northwind

deadlydarcy – Member

You have to bear in mind ulysse, as far as jambalaya is concerned, unless you’re a “net contributor”, you’re just a sponge on everybody else’s money. Every human is measured in terms of his or her financial contribution.

And not only that, but only in the direct taxation they pay, not on the labour they provide.

ulysse
    Free Member

ulysse
    Free Member

Can any on the Right on here defend this?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDiGNb8fHA[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find it hard to fault this policy
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39767961

Labour has promised a “consumer rights revolution” for renters in England if it wins the general election, with the introduction of new legal standards for rented homes.
    Landlords who fail to meet the “tougher” minimum standards would face fines of up to £100,000, Labour said.
    The proposals include requirements for safe wiring and appliances, freedom from damp and general good repair.
    But the Conservatives said the plan could increase people’s rent.

So what you’re saying there is it’s OK to live in dangerous or crap conditions so long as it’s cheap?

kerley
    Free Member

Guessing it will go along the lines of the fact they haven’t tried hard enough in their life to get to a better position. They haven’t managed their money, they have no financial discipline.

No circumstances or fortune have anything to do with it, it is simply all their own fault so they need to deal with that and shouldn’t expect anything from all the overpaid people in the country.

ninfan
    Free Member

labour. as much as i despise them oversaw sustained economic growth from ’97 till ’08 too, its convenient to forget. And by 2010 Darling was well on track to a recovery

Thats right, they ended boom and bust, everyone remembers that, surely?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You have to bear in mind ulysse, as far as jambalaya is concerned, unless you’re a “net contributor”, you’re just a sponge on everybody else’s money

Total bollix. More Pantomine Villan stuff.

We live in one of the most generous and liberal democracies in the world. What people do need to understand and appreciate is the point at which we become “break even”. Far too many people say “we may our taxes” and assume that covers everything from the police to the nhs. It’s consistent with the view that “someone else” can pay more tax to pay for increased spending. The tax burden on the top 1% has increased to just under 30% of total personal tax revenues. This IMO is dangerous and unsustainable. Dangerous as if a relatively few people stop paying taxes fhd impact is significant.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are 9 million people living in poverty in France. France has high taxes and some of the most generous state payouts. The issues we face in the UK are not unique.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Icreasingly sadistic elite

What a pile of sh.te from Boyle. Well Frankie have a look at the results on the morining of June 9th and you’ll see people do not agree with you.

DrJ

Well Frankie have a look at the results on the morining of June 9th and you’ll see people do not agree with you.

That doesn’t make him wrong, though, does it?

DrJ

The tax burden on the top 1% has increased to just under 30% of total personal tax revenues. This IMO is dangerous and unsustainable.

So will you be advocating increasing tax across the board to pay for public services? Or the usual “devil take the hindmost” approach? Let me guess.

ninfan
    Free Member

So will you be advocating increasing tax across the board to pay for public services?

And are you advocating the idea that tax intake should fully cover the cost of delivering public services? A balanced budget?

grum
    Free Member

Casually justifying “grave and systematic violations” of disabled people’s rights on the basis of not wanting to pay any more taxes because…… well…. paying little Johnny’s school fees could jeopardize that third yachting trip this year, and we might have to make do with last year’s model of Range Rover.

Definitely not an increasingly ‘sadistic elite’ though.

airtragic
    Free Member

Agree the axe shouldn’t have fallen on the disabled. But it had to fall somewhere. We spend more than we take. Once you ring fence education and health, as others have said, it falls all the harder in other areas. It was always going to be difficult, and it was always going to be hardest on those at the bottom of the ladder as they’ve got less to spare and receive more state spending. Any party in power has to face this dilemma; you can argue for more tax-side austerity as Corbyn does, you can tweak stuff here and there, but the reality is that there’s no magic bullet imo. Demonising and othering the people who make the decisions just polarises the argument.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“increasing tax across the board”

If it were that easy wouldn’t it already have happened? – Governments of all colours have collected roughly the same levels of tax revenue for decades.

airtragic
    Free Member

“Casually justifying “grave and systematic violations” of disabled people’s rights on the basis of not wanting to pay any more taxes because…… well…. paying little Johnny’s school fees could jeopardize that third yachting trip this year, and we might have to make do with last year’s model of Range Rover.”

Been discussed elsewhere, but I suspect you can tax these people ^ at 100%, ignoring behavioural effects, and you still won’t fill the gap. And you can’t ignore behavioural effects!

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Once you ring fence education and health, as others have said, it falls all the harder in other areas.”

This.

“Demonising and othering the people who make the decisions just polarises the argument.”

…and this. Demonizing one party over the health service is the reason that party had to divert more resources to the health service than all the other parties – and the disabled pick up the cheque.

The SNP didn’t need to ring fence health which allowed them to make much better decisions over all.

RustySpanner

and the disabled pick up the cheque.

The point is that they were deliberately targeted, when they did not need to be, because people like you don’t appear to have any compassion and don’t seem bothered about other people’s suffering.

They feel they can get away with it because those affected don’t appear on most people’s radar.

The Tories have gambled that the majority of people don’t care.
    I think they are right.

kerley
    Free Member

The tax burden on the top 1% has increased to just under 30% of total personal tax revenues

And it should be higher than that. They are paying 30% because they are taking a massively unequal amount of money from the pot (which has a finite amount of money in it) They take more, everyone else has to get less.

allthepies
    Free Member

This magic money pot, where does that come from ?

airtragic
    Free Member

The top one percent aren’t your global mega-capitalists/asset strippers/whatever, that’s the top 0.01%. 1% is £162k pa and upwards, the 1% are more likely successful professionals, senior consultants, engineers, financiers etc. And just the 1% won’t be enough….

Northwind

The weird thing about throwing around “magic money pot” so dismissively, is that this is a big part of how we run our economy today. It’s just that we call it “quantitative easing” so it sounds more mysterious and professional.

airtragic
    Free Member

“The point is that they were deliberately targeted, when they did not need to be, because people like you don’t appear to have any compassion and don’t seem bothered about other people’s suffering.”

I would substitute “deliberately targeted ” with “not protected “. I agree, however, that they should have been, especially given the relatively small sums involved.

RustySpanner

Thank you for the reply.

Just a quick example.

I have a friend, single, in his early 40’s, no immediate family.
    Has a serious inherited condition and mobility issues, not expected to live much more than 5 years.
    Ex social worker, outdoor instructor etc.

He lives on the 5th floor of a block of flats in the middle of Rochdale.
    He has huge cysts which due to his condition cannot be touched until they burst.
    Without PIP, he had to wait until the cyst ruptured, clean it up himself, then walk over a mile to the medical centre for treatment, because he couldn’t afford a taxi.

His friends help, but some live a long way away and we all work.

A friend and his wife (a carer and social worker) helped him fight for his PIP, and it has made a massive difference.
    Not an easy process, especially if you’re on your own and taking medication which can make concentration almost impossible at times.

Some friends took him camping a few weeks ago.
    He’s saved up and bought his own cheap tent.

Dignity is priceless.

Northwind

airtragic – Member

I would substitute “deliberately targeted ” with “not protected “.

Well, not protected from the government, is the issue.

The insidiously shitty part is that it’s a system that’s basically designed to fail disabled people. 65% of PIP rejections are overturned at the tribunal stage. (I’ve never seen a stat for how many are overturned at the first reassesment but any process where 65% of appeals are succesful, after the internal reassessment, is catastrophically ****ed.).

So obviously all the tribunals etc run up costs, and in the meantime the person’s life is turned upside down, for no good reason. And what’s being done to change that? The only substansive change I’ve seen is the motability car change that just came in, which itself is an admission of failure in the asessment process

ulysse
    Free Member

This magic money pot, where does that come from ?

It’s called a FIAT economy such as the one the Bank of England has run, and as pointed out above, the mechanism is quantitative easing.
    We’ve always “spent more than we take” and since world war 2 the defecit was far far higher than under the Blair Brown era,where we finally paid off our war debt to America – which Ninfan AGAIN forgets ended under a GLOBAL crash, but I do agree with him and was very vocal at the time it was foolish to massage that economic growth on an artificial bubble fueled by property speculation

ulysse
    Free Member

I would substitute “deliberately targeted ” with “not protected “. I agree, however, that they should have been, especially given the relatively small sums involved.

No. Deliberately targeted. In around 2013 as each of the welfare policies started hitting home, people in pressure groups often repeated” surely this time people will be on the streets and finally take notice” bedroom tax, LHA, under 25′ not eligible for benefits, tax credits, WCA, Esa, Pip, firemen being shafted, probation being shafted, junior doctors being shafted, creeping privatisation in the NHS, Selling royal mail at a nock down price to the then Chancellor weddings best man, shafting the police, shafting Essels mates, legal aid and so forth… Each time, “surely people must take notice”
    No, because each group effected were marginalized , apart from NHS and fire, and who of my class has good experience of Police Probation lawyers and Prisons?

gobuchul
    Free Member

The harsh reality is that the modern NHS costs way more to run than it used to.

Personally I think the higher earnings income tax should be increased to 45 or 50%. I would happily pay it.

ulysse
    Free Member

Northwind
    Well, not protected from the government, is the issue.
    The insidiously shitty part is that it’s a system that’s basically designed to fail disabled people.

Unum, who designed the system were successfully prosecuted in the USA for the same tick box model of sickness medical insurance denial.
    Yet Duncan Smith thought it prudent to pay ATOS then Maximus to administer this test as a work capability assessment. That man’s megalomania has cost this country Billions that Jamba & nin masturbate over and cost the lives and potential of thousands

ulysse
    Free Member

and who of my class has good experience of Police Probation lawyers and Prisons?

Ha ha, case in point, I found activist allies all through the spectrum, but refused to stand on the courthouse steps when probation held thier strikes, I told the PCS union to hump itself when jobcentre plus workers started whinging…

taxi25
    Free Member

I do agree with the principle that people on disability benefits should be assessed. They change, technology changes a move to job seekers status with appropriate support can be beneficial to some claimants and society in general.
    But the assessment process at least untill recently is #$@!&$ !!!
    My company has an account with the tribunals service that deals with appeals. The state on some the people who’ve been declared fit for work is shocking 🙁 they might have been asked “could you lift that box” they said “perhaps once on a good day” now their fit to work in a warehouse, “how do you spend your spare time” say you like to sit in your garden and that means you can “do” your garden and are fit for manual work, answer your phone and you can work in a call centre. This sort of stuff goes on and on. 85% of appeals are successful, that alone tells you the process is broken. A woman I know is some sort of Dr and works doing these assessments, she’s the most arrogant hateful person I know. All the claimants she meets, in her eyes are scroungers and scum, she tells me this whilst I’m driving her to the next cruise holiday she’s going on, off which she has about 5 a year.
    Thing is I’m politicaly neutral and certainly don’t hate the Tories, but this is one policy that needs to be scrapped and replaced with some thing fit for purpose.

dragon
    Free Member

this is one policy that needs to be scrapped and replaced with some thing fit for purpose.

Is it not the case that the policy may be fine, but the implementation isn’t fit for purpose?

Viewing 40 posts - 13,961 through 14,000 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.