Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Jazz. I dont get it. Who does?
  • somafunk

Some of my favs below, there’s a lot of Jazz i’m not fussed with but i can come back to these tracks/albums time and time again

zokes
    Free Member

Well, thanks to this thread, I’ve gone down a wormhole of pulling several of the artists above through Tidal to my HiFi, and whilst entertaining, once Van Morrison got mentioned, I quickly entered a wormhole back to my comfort zone and have just got the whisky out to listen to Simon & Garfunkel. I do like a good baritone sax, but I think I’ll have to keep trying to like jazz, whatever the sub-genre.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

pulling several of the artists above through Tidal to my HiFi

😉😀😎😆

zokes
    Free Member

[Hijack] Woppitt: you’re a Naim man too aren’t you? If so, have you managed to get Tidal Masters natively though a Naim receiver? Currently SPDIF-ing from my Mac, but would rather just use the built in client. [/Hijack]

mikey74
    Free Member

WHOOOSH! Missing the point of that post completely.

Well, perhaps you’d care to explain it, then. The embedded wisdom wasn’t exactly coming to the fore.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ My oversight maybe, I was being sarcastic and forgot to put the /sarcasm on.

llama

The new kamasi washington one is top banana

Like a bit of miles davis, even the freaky shit. Christ I even like a bit of sun ra arkestra.

I get jazz much more than some other genres. For example, I’ve never gotten Bowie despite trying.

edhornby

Hello Rusty 🙂 I can only agree with the comment that it’s a broad genre and that some is more accessible than others; but once you find something you like, that opens the door to the other stuff. I would also say to go and see some live because you get to see improvising when it actually happens. The free jazz wierd stuff is difficult to really get into (much of it isn’t actually that good) but there’s something for everyone

Albums to try; Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. The sidewinder by Lee Morgan. Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock. A go go by John Scofield. All in the funky vein but with proper solos

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I get jazz much more than some other genres. For example, I’ve never gotten Bowie despite trying.

Intrigued, I looked up what genre Bowie was: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie

Bowie covered many genres including art rock, hard rock, glam rock, alternative rock, krautrock, protopunk, post-punk, electronica, Blue-eyed soul, New Wave, Industrial, Techno, Jazz, Dance music, Funk, Disco, Experimental rock, Folk, Instrumental, Ambient and house.

This ‘genre’ thing is confusing the hell out of me!  Just tried this ‘Classical’ music thing.  Er, no thanks!  Case in point:

PS, OP – tried remembering back to my early twenties when I somehow began getting into different types of music other than my (heavy rock, punk, new wave and metal) staples – and AFAIR it was Gil Scott Heron album that first had me exploring jazz. The LP was entitled ‘Pieces of a Man’.  Still love it today.

DezB
    Free Member

Judging by this thread, jazz is another genre where its all about looking backwards to what’s been done long ago. I think I was the only person to actually mention anything remotely new?

Apart from kamasi washington, who I think I saw on Later and was dull as.

simondbarnes

I love a bit of jazz. Especially Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald.

rogermoore

Anyone in West Yorkshire wanting a different Friday evening out should try Wakefield Jazz.

RM.

CountZero

Same with rock music, does anyone really listen to those crazy cookie-monster vocals and endlessly recycled sub-Iommi riffs and doom-laden lyrics about endless armageddon and necrophilia in mythical places?

Quite partial to some Opeth when I’m in the mood, although I do prefer their more recent prog/jazz-influenced work.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Traditional Jazz leaves me cold ..however as already has been said it does work it’s way into different genres ..Keith Emerson for example was primarily a jazz pianist and I loved his stuff with ELP ..

athgray
    Free Member

I like a bit of jazz, but most of it may be a bit safe by modern standards. Musicians I gravitate towards Are,

Chet Baker, Lester Young, Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon(probably my favourite), Dave Brubeck.

There is some good modern stuff that crosses over genres,

GoGo Penguin, Kamasi Washington, Too Many Zoos.

llama

Bowie covered many genres including art……

well yes he did, and to be fair, it is not really that analogous, but I still don’t get any of it, which is the point I’m failing to make

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 GoGo Penguin

athgray, a few more contemporary jazz artists I discovered of late:

Emancipator, Alfa Mist, Hiatus Kaiyote

– all worth a listen IMO.

Before I go, have not mentioned Afrobeat.  So here – this cover of Opposite People is THE tittz.  Even my most grumpy face lights like a sunbeam on hearing it.  Call it therapy 🌤!

athgray
    Free Member

Malvern Rider,

Had a quick listen to those. They will go on my playlist. I  like a bit of jazz mixed with hip hop or drum and bass.

Jazz Jousters remix some classic jazz albums with a laid back summer hip hop vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sisgWhPxe0

sweepy
    Free Member

Black flower

stanfree
    Free Member

Its all shit isnt It really. Easily the most pretentious of all the music genres.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Great responses – thanks everyone!

You’re all (mostly) rather cultured, innit! 😉

Loads for me to explore here (and I will). I’ll need to save this thread to my favs.

OP

athgray
    Free Member

zeesaffa,

Its not necessarily cultured to like jazz. Some like whisky, some rum, some gin, some vodka, some beer, some wine. Jazz is a broad definition, and whisky is a decent analogy

Sun Ra = Laphroaig. (Acquired taste)

Miles Davis = Highland Park (Excellent allrounder)

Chet Baker = Macallan (Sweet and smooth)

There are styles to fit many, but it wont be for everyone. My jazz tastes are at what many would consider the easily accessible end. It need not be pretentious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

There are many words to describe Billie Holidays version of Strange Fruit. Pretentious isn’t one of them!

rickmeister

How about a bit of Leo P ?

athgray
    Free Member

Thats good rick. I think he is the sax player from Too Many Zoos

surfer
    Free Member

Athgray +1

I have quite eclectic tastes but this is one of my all time favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSS5p9BdNGU

RustySpanner

Inspired by this thread and the sweet sunset went for a bit of Chick whilst the warmth faded….

Followed by early Chet Baker in Paris..

Currently on a bit of Dexter Gordon and contemplating  Coltrane and a big glass of something….

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nothing on here strikes a replay it chord with me.

Its not that its shit or  anything it just does nothing for me.

That leo P thing up there for example its great until you arent watching the video. And it get very tedious after the second minute.

pondo

Generally, I find jazz a bit hard work when I’ve dabbled with it before, but we know someone in a big band that plays some jazz and it’s fantastic live. That said, when I heard of the sad pasding of John Miles and his (to me) unknown jazz history, I had a listen to Tamburello and it EXACTLY suited my mood at the time. Looking forward to checking out all the suggestions on here – thanks all. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

i like jazz (along with lots of other types of music) not a fan of trad but there is so much variety to choose from,

i’m currently listening to some Krzysztof Komeda (Polish Radio Vol 6, but check out his best known work Astigmatic)

the thing i like about jazz is its often complex but i find that actually quite relaxing as its blocks everything else out but still engages the brain.

if you dont’ like Jazz then its quite easy not to listen to it, i feel that way about modern pop and shouty rap music but car speakers and mobile phones make that harder to avoid.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

☀️ up, shining tarmac, off to the green wilds.  Jazzin’ all the way, naturally 😊

YEH BABY YEH

shakers97
    Free Member

I pretty much listen to nothing else other jazz these days. It’s a genre you’ve got to ease into and it take a while before your ears and brain adjust. Straight ahead is challenging but if you stick with it you’ll appreciate it more over time.

Try something more accessible first like Snarky Puppy or GoGoPenguins.

To really appreciate it you’ve got to understand what’s going on. They aren’t songs so to speak. Even what today are considered jazz standards are largely improvised  with a fixed phrase (home base) that the musicians will keep coming back to to break up improvised soloing. If you try to appreciate it for what it is rather than like you do other music based on repeated melody phrases you might enjoy it more.

Fantombiker

Chet baker on trumpet ain’t too bad

MrWoppit
    Free Member

stanfree

Its all shit isnt It really. Easily the most pretentious of all the music genres.

I’m amazed it manages to survive without your support.

funkmasterp

Two pages and no mention of Fela Kuti. I actually got in to some Jazz through listening to Gangstarr, various other hip hop bands, DJ’s and some of Guru’s solo output. Music is great.

ackie
    Free Member

I believe this be the Jazz the OP is referred to, and I honestly bloody loves it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Two pages and no mention of Fela Kuti.

Back up soldier, check the cover of Opposite People featuring Seun Kuti, I linked up-page.  But yes, Fela! Especially Expensive Shit

MrSmith
    Free Member

I was going to mention Fela but not sure why I didn’t. I was supposed to go and see Seun on Friday but couldn’t make it.

I made up for it by finding a Fela and Ginger Baker live album on iTunes today.

Has Hugh Masekela been mentioned yet?

addy6402

Loads of interesting leads above, thanks.

I’ve recently been listening to a bit of Lydian Collective, definitely at the more accessible end of the spectrum but quite a talented bunch.

kiwicraig

Don’t know what your problem is OP, a great car and you even fit two bikes in the back:

Sandwich

There are many words to describe Billie Holidays version of Strange Fruit.

Too true and here’s a modern version which may stray a little from OP.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Jazz. I dont get it. Who does?’ is closed to new replies.