Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • James May's Toy Story
  • Harry_the_Spider

Another good one last night.

Things that are troubling me though are…

1) Did Scalextric just give them 2.8 miles of track? It must have cost a fortune.

3) How many miles of track do they produce/sell a year?

3) How did they get rid of it? It couldn't be sold on as new as it was covered in dirt, dust and in some places, rotting fox.

In a couple of weeks he will have to source and dispose of several million Lego bricks. That will trouble me too.

rOcKeTdOg

i didn't see it, but did they have people on every corner to put the cars back on after inevitably going to fast and going off?, otherwise it would be a hell of a long walk/race

Drac

Although edited of course there was hardly any offs and the turn out was huge.

nuke

In a couple of weeks he will have to source and dispose of several million Lego bricks.

My children's school has certainly benefited 😀

Harry_the_Spider

My children's school has certainly benefited

So they give it all away? Brilliant. 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

i thought the mechano one was great. Very clever….

oddjob
    Free Member

I read about the lego house, it couldn't stay where it was becuase there was no planning permission and nobody wanted it. I think the bricks were given away and I think Lego provided them FOA or at least cheap anyway.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above though

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8266896.stm

Aristotle
    Free Member

I like James May's programmes.

The Meccano one was great and I enjoyed the plasticine one.

The Scalextric one last night wasn't quite as good and seemed more about doing a spectacular, but still quite interesting.

VanHalen

i thought it was great.

some proper problem solving going on to cross the various obsticals.

one of my fave toys – definatly. after lego.

StirlingCrispin

It may have cost Scalextric a fortune, but guess what I want for Xmas.

And a Airfix Spitfire. We've also been banging out plasticine animals at home.

(Slightly disappointed there wasn't a plasticine snake in the plasticine garden – they're so easy to make!)

Drac

IIRC there was requests for unwanted Lego when they were building the Lego house and yeah the publicity these toys are getting will be well worth the cost.

imp999
    Free Member

We saw May filming in a pub in Cornwall.
    The kids spotted him and came running out to tell us then went back in to the pub to stalk him from behind the fish tank and fruit machine.
    Still waiting for this scene but its probably on the cutting room floor.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We've also been banging out plasticine animals at home.

Do you want to go on record saying that? 😉

timc
    Free Member

Seen the meccano episode

what a load of sh1te

ourmaninthenorth

Great ideas, just a terrible presenter. He was always a bit of a pillock, but in the last year or so has become unpleasantly arrogant.

timc
    Free Member

Totally agree, He's not in touch with Joe Bloggs if you ask me!

Everything he was doing in Liverpool made me cringe! Edwina Currie? wtf?

I know the BBC look after their own but he isnt upto scratch!

timc
    Free Member

1) Did Scalextric just give them 2.8 miles of track?

I would suspect they did so, thinking it will be great marketing in the run upto Christmas

atlaz
    Free Member

He built it across a friend's lawn. Apparently lots of groups of people making sure it stayed on-track but altogether not as faked as I'd have expected.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Lego and Scalextric are already reported as being this Christmas' must-have presents. Probably for kids and dads alike.

pistola
    Free Member

I have just bought a set for my son's 7th birthday. Can't wait!

sheldonstarkey
    Free Member

3) How did they get rid of it? It couldn't be sold on as new as it was covered in dirt, dust and in some places, rotting fox.

Landfill.

oldgit
    Free Member

Got my Scalextic from a skip, guess what? it didn't work.
    Put two of these in the cars at 50p each.

And it worked fine.

project
    Free Member

They dont like James May on Bikemagic…..

DezB
    Free Member

It should be a half hour programme, then kids would watch it. My son hasn't got the attention span to sit through an hour of that stupid haired Clarkson wannabe. Although he did watch the whole of the plasticine one.

samuri
    Free Member

I started watching it a bit late but there were a group of office workers who actually couldn't understand how to put it together.

I really, really want these people to have been in advertising or marketing, can someone confirm if this is the case or not?

Aristotle
    Free Member

James May is preferable to the vast majority of people on the TV.

I like the chap.

Harry_the_Spider

I like him too. He's a top chap.

I really, really want these people to have been in advertising or marketing, can someone confirm if this is the case or not?

They worked for Sony.

plumber
    Free Member

I have to say that hour of TV had me smiling from start to finish. The best I've seen in some time

oldgit
    Free Member

I like Mr May as well, though it's probably the similar age thing touching a chord here.
    Airfix, Meccano, plasticine and for the rich Scalextric were all toys of my childhood. Though I never got past the making of 'meat and two veg' with plasticine stage: 😛

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘James May's Toy Story’ is closed to new replies.