Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I've made an offer on eBay – been accepted – now what!?…
  • the-muffin-man

So I’ve made an offer on an item on eBay and the seller has accepted – but how do we proceed now as eBay blocks putting email addresses in messages?

The seller doesn’t know as he doesn’t sell that much.

It’s for two items from the same seller.

Ideally I just want to send him a Paypal payment for both items.

Ta!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You should just be able to click “Pay Now”

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t mean you’ve emailed him an offer, it should be as above.

If you’ve emailed i don’t believe there is functionality in eBay to do it, so you can’t make the purchase through eBay. I would suggest don’t do it but, in theory eBay won’t reject an address in the format

name at domain dot suffix

hypnonewt
    Free Member

They let you send pics in the messages so I have got around it before by writing down my email address or typing it out and then taking a photo and linking that. Bit of a long winded way but it works.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ideally I just want to send him a Paypal payment for both items.

Ask the seller for combined postage cost if there’s postage involved, seller raises an ‘invoice’ you pay. Or just do as above.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Seller should be able to sort it out either way, they have the choice of changing postage before they request payment.

legend
    Free Member

The ad will have stated the accepted payment methods, is there something stopping you just paying him?

jam-bo

i assume you mean an offer outside of ebay to avoid fees?

i got a snotty email from ebay threatening to suspend my account after sending my mobile number to a seller to arrange a cash pickup as I was in the area.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ask for his number.
    Phone him.

OR

He can change the listing to a Buy it now of the agreed price.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I would suggest don’t do it but, in theory eBay won’t reject an address in the format

name at domain dot suffix

Feebay catch that one.

I did the picture route last time, took longer to type this than it did to knock up an MS paint masterpiece containing an email address.

the-muffin-man

Offer was sent through messages – there is no buy it now on the items.

It’s not a huge amount (less than £20) so I’m fine taking it out of eBay.

Just tried the old email trick and it’s blocked the message! 😀

I’ll see if I can get him to change them to buy-it-now.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My account got suspended for selling off ebay. Even though I never did. Someone messaged asking for my number to discuss an item and I sent it to them, although I had to send it over two messages to avoid ebay blocking it.

The email saying i was suspended came from a no reply address, I ended up having to call them to get my account reinstated.

Rather annoying, if the fees weren’t so high people wouldn’t be so keen to sell off ebay. They’re their own worst enemy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

i got a snotty email from ebay threatening to suspend my account after sending my mobile number to a seller to arrange a cash pickup as I was in the area.

Yeh me too, I was doing the same as you. As for the post above I’m surprised that an account would be blocked if you sent your number as a one off. Mine wasn’t.

For the OP buyer would need to change the listing to buy it now if they haven’t had any bids.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you settle now outside ebay the seller will have to withdraw the item. Ebay will know that you have swapped email address or phone numbers and they will send him a shirty message warning him not to do it again or they will restrict his account. If he’s done it before then they might suspend him.
    (oops, already covered i see).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Rather annoying, if the fees weren’t so high people wouldn’t be so keen to sell off ebay. They’re their own worst enemy.

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO #

But if you feel that way then don’t use e-bay , there are plenty of other ways of selling stuff . Also their fees are quite transparent so you know what it’s going to cost you to sell stuff . Not surprised that they get pissed off when people want to sell through e-bay but avoid the fees . As for being their own worst enemy they actually seem to do very well .

kerley
    Free Member

Their fees are fine. You are selling items to a potentially worldwide market and will pretty much always get a higher price than selling elsewhere.

Ever looked at the fees from an actual auction house?

nealglover
    Free Member

I use the same reasoning when I steal stuff from Waitrose.
    I love the place, and the service is better than anywhere else, but it’s just too expensive, so I steal stuff instead.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just have a “discussion” with eBay now.
    A classified advert for a vehicle or property which comes under different policies to their auctions still has the exchange of details blocked.
    So I can’t give a buyer my number or address to come and see the vehicle!
    Yet they have charged me to list it.
    Cockwombles

CountZero

Just have a “discussion” with eBay now.
    A classified advert for a vehicle or property which comes under different policies to their auctions still has the exchange of details blocked.
    So I can’t give a buyer my number or address to come and see the vehicle!

Have you not tried Messenger, iMessage or Whatsapp? All of which are e2e encrypted and can’t be read by government agencies, let alone Paypal.

integerspin
    Free Member

Once he has accecepted the offer he can go to…
    I will have to do it to see where to go.

‘selling’ on the Myebay menu.
    Then go for the Orders tab, the item will be near the top.
    Click on the record number, it will open the sales record.

It will show your name and address, email address, and phone number.

But if he’s accepted an offer you just click on pay and it should
    charge you the price he accepted; unless it was a ‘I will nip round in five minutes with some folding stuff’ sort of offer.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you not tried Messenger, iMessage or Whatsapp? All of which are e2e encrypted and can’t be read by government agencies, let alone Paypal

How do do that without swapping email addresses or phone numbers?

Once he has accecepted the offer he can go to…
    I will have to do it to see where to go.

Gold star for not reading the thread. This isn’t a “buy now or best offer”, this is just a cheeky “hey, would you take £20?” As an eBay message.

kerley
    Free Member

eBay gave em a warning when I sold something for cash. The buyer never bothered actually pressing the buy button even after collecting the item so I pulled the listing as didn’t want anyone else to buy something that was no longer for sale.

They picked up from an email the buyer sent to me asking for my address and agreeing price. I was happy enough to pay the fees if the buyer had actually done what he should.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I've made an offer on eBay – been accepted – now what!?…’ is closed to new replies.