Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • I've got no kids so where's my £460k gone?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

£1k nursery fees, per month !!

K’neil.

😯

br
    Free Member

If we’d not had kids I reckon the ‘savings’ would have let me drive a nearly-new Bentley, changed every 3 years or so 🙂

That’s taking into general costs, nursery, schooling (private), CSA etc and getting the 3 of them thru to driving (and 1st year insurance), living accommodation when they first left home plus assorted costs of their 1st houses.

But I also reckon without having to pay for all that I wouldn’t have earned as much (because I didn’t need to, maybe) – partly based on the lack of ‘drive’ I see in many childless friends.

Wouldn’t stop me doing it again though. For example, my Father died yesterday evening and the eldest drove north first thing to come and comfort his Grandma (300 mile round trip). Middle is away with work and youngest is local.

13thfloormonk

That’s what we’re getting told, £50/day apparently, although the average we saw when googling was something like £200 a week. Still, £800-1000 assuming you’re both going back full time.

We’re already discussing my wife going back 4 days, 1 day working from home, and me continuing full time but maybe passing on the next pay rise (if there is one) in order to work from home on Fridays. Annual saving for me working from home 1 day a week would easily be bigger than the sort of incremental pay rise we’d usually expect anyway (our company seems to work on a tiny/no raise-tiny/no raise-decent raise cycle and we’re back to square one next year anyway :roll:)

Jamie
    Free Member

partly based on the lack of ‘drive’ I see in many childless friends.

Heh…those losers.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

These stories are always so misleading. They get people thinking “but we don’t have £10k spare a year”, and don’t show enough relevant detail to indicate that you don’t need £10k spare to keep up with the costs of a child!

Nursery costs can be negated for many people with family help, with part time working (depending on income), or if one of the parents doesn’t work anyway (yes, there are people out there who don’t work, imagine!). Food isn’t significant, nappies and wipes are covered by child benefit anyway, items such as prams can be bought and sold for basically nothing overall, clothing can cost buttons if you don’t mind used or cheap supermarket stuff.

Ok, I can see teenagers getting expensive. But I’m just expressing my dislike for such headlines!

PS I’m sitting here with a 3 day old button in the basket next to my desk peering at the strange new world around her. Not for a second am I thinking how much she’s going to cost. It’s just life, and I’d sooner give up my business, home and health than change my life to one without her.

MoreCashThanDash

Some of you pay more in childcare than I earn with the part time job I have to avoid paying childcare 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

@glasgowdan I’m not sure they’re misleading – they’re true and accurate example of Day to Day, Month to Month costs. Like any other “major life event” it can be very expensive, it can take a lot of time and effort – mostly though it ‘just’ takes sacrifice, everyone does it differently – some give up work, some go part-time, some are lucky enough to have an extended family to pitch in, some don’t, but no one has it easy.

Still, I’ve had money, and I’ve had kids – I prefer kids, i like them more than Sportscars and Fancy Holidays, which is handy I guess.

Congrats on the little one BTW!

mudshark
    Free Member

Losing most of wife’s income for a few years is a cost but she went full time when son started at school with a job close to home which is very helpful. Son loves all the extra activities he gets to do to keep him in school longer such as Judo. Financial impact isn’t really noticeable for me at the moment, as just means I save less but I suppose I’ll be working longer than I would have to if stayed childless.

Biggest pain is not being able to ride as much as I want.

slowoldman

This thread makes me wonder how low paid working people manage to raise children.

funkmasterp

This thread makes me wonder how low paid working people manage to raise children.

We’re on a single income of 27k gross with a mortgage and we get about £80 child benefit. Missus is a stay at home mum, but junior goes to Tumbletots, swimming and other groups with her. We get by and she loves being able to spend time with him. I’m jealous having to go to work five days a week.

As others have said different people find different ways. I suppose it comes down to what you want from life and what you’re willing to sacrifice. Different things work for different people.

matydubz
    Free Member

Very similar wage as funkmaster. My salary and the £80 child benefit is the only income that we get.

It is tough at times and will be tough when the second one arrives but we get by. As the wife didn’t have a profession it wouldn’t make sense for her to work full time to just about cover child care costs.

I’d like to lease a new car but for the moment I can’t. Once they start school the wife will find a full time job so fingers crossed that we loss of earnings will be relatively short term.

Those figures will apply to some families but it just depends on how you approach it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect that kids cost £10kpa in the same way that a wedding costs £30k.

I pissed my money up the wall and got us in the shit quite some time before we had kids, incidentally 🙂

wallop

Jamie – Member
    Heh…those losers.

Yeah innit

tomd
    Free Member

Young kid can easily be >£10k per year just in childcare if you both work full time. That’s an after tax £10k so a real kick in the balls.

We’re probably not any worse off in terms of spending less than we earn each month, but that’s mainly because we tend do more local stuff now. A nice walk in the hills, a visit to a swingpark and picnic is now a fun day out. Previously we’d have blown £300 on fuel and accomodation for a biking weekend away 2 or 3 times a month.

trail_rat
    Free Member

house deposits for 4 of them is going to to at least £140k

Dont they have paper rounds by now 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That £140k comment made me laugh too!

DT78
    Free Member

Yes it can definitely be done cheaper and I do wonder about reducing my hours to reduce childcare costs with all the tax and we’d qualify for child benefit it probably wouldn’t be much of a material impact. Be career suicide though, if it was agreed. Would have to drop down a couple of grades which I may well do.

Don’t get the comment about people without kids being less driven. I was far more career minded as I had more time to be and not much else. Now I think about £ per hour / total time away from family / stress / prospects and aim for the sweet spot of best efficiency

When number2 arrives and the other half doesn’t work for a year we will be in deficit. I’ve worked out I’ll need 6k more than we will earn. Luckily it’s set-aside. Would be a nice bike that.

It is about sacrifices, no holidays abroad for 3 years now and I cycle to work most days and drive a 1998 pug probably the worst car in the work car park. We rarely eat out, I go for a beer and curry maybe once a month at the local. No real massive outgoings other than the mortgage.

slowoldman

Don’t get the comment about people without kids being less driven.

No that’s complete drivel.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Why did the £140k house deposit thing make you laugh glasgowdan? Its £35k per child and the ones who have left uni have good jobs and dont waste money so they have paper rounds

oldtalent
    Free Member

The term is childfree. Childless implies a loss. Its certainly no loss not having children.

newrobdob
    Free Member

That’s taking into general costs, nursery, schooling (private), CSA etc and getting the 3 of them thru to driving (and 1st year insurance), living accommodation when they first left home plus assorted costs of their 1st houses.

A lot of that you don’t have to spend (everything except general costs/nursery really!) so go ahead and get your Bentley. 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Why did the £140k house deposit thing make you laugh glasgowdan? Its £35k per child and the ones who have left uni have good jobs and dont waste money so they have paper rounds

I’d guess it’s because most people have to save their own house deposits.

hooli

I am sure we have discussed this before but it is all bollox. A quiet week for the news so this sort of stuff pops up.

We all work hard for our money and we all spend it. Be it on a house, car, holiday, hobby, children, pets etc.

Have a think how much you have spent on gas, electric, council tax and petrol over the last decade. That’s also a big number, and an even bigger one if you work out the pre-tax number.

Whats the alternative, scrimp, save and be miserable your entire life so you can end up with a big bank balance when you die?

P-Jay
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Don’t get the comment about people without kids being less driven.

No that’s complete drivel.

Yeah, total toss.

In my experinance the most driven people tend to be the childfree ones.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Our savings were well invested from the start and have paid for our early retirement 🙂

As has been mentioned, most of the 230k is the opportunity cost of a part time or non-working parent, so people on lower paying jobs (or: people who’s spouse wasn’t going to work anyway!) never lost that much in the first place. But for us I reckon it would probably have been more. Not saying it’s best not to have kids, but we’ve been happy with our choice.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think kids cost you whatever you want them to cost you. Okay, that’s a bit facetious, but every time I’ve seen an actual breakdown of calculations like this, it includes horseriding lessons or something like that.

I earn probably quite a bit less than the STW average – certainly less than median income. We do okay with one kid. We don’t go on snowbaording trips to Switzerland every year any more, though probably could afford it if we wanted to.

It’s just a matter of deciding what you actually need to spend money on.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In my experience I see no correlation between drive and how many children you have. Some people are career-driven, some people have kids.

As for the OP, it does seem like a huge amount of money. I appreciate, however, it will be an average. There will be parents sending kids to expensive private schools, taking them skiing in Davos every year and buying them new cars; the cost of all that will be dramatically swinging the average. We have 3 kids and I can tell you with no uncertainty that we don’t spend £30k a year on them. If that *is* the average we will end up spending on them, we have some very nasty surprises in future years.

miketually
    Free Member

As for the OP, it does seem like a huge amount of money. I appreciate, however, it will be an average. There will be parents sending kids to expensive private schools, taking them skiing in Davos every year and buying them new cars; the cost of all that will be dramatically swinging the average.

It looks like more an aspirational value for the middle classes than an actual average. Most people bringing up kids earn far less and so don’t spend/lose anywhere near this much.

P-Jay
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

I think kids cost you whatever you want them to cost you. Okay, that’s a bit facetious, but every time I’ve seen an actual breakdown of calculations like this, it includes horseriding lessons or something like that.

Yeah, there’s always a bit of humblebrag with anything that mentions the dirty business of money. £140k for House Deposits, totally unavoidable cost that, it’s life or death init.

There is a minimum though, I think if you’re thinking of having kids you do need to at least have a vague plan for family finances, it won’t survive the first week, but at least you know it is possible, time to get creative.

And dare I say it online, some people, and I include myself in this have to decide that if you want to maintain the sort of lifestyle you want (a very modest one at that) you might have to increase your debt level, at least for the first few years. We’ve sort of stayed steady, My wife cries that the CC balance has crept up £500 in the last couple of months, but we’ve been paying off her gradutate loan at £200 a month so we’re treading water really.

br
    Free Member

A lot of that you don’t have to spend (everything except general costs/nursery really!) so go ahead and get your Bentley[/I]

Kids are all grown up now, so my new 435d will have to do 🙂

footflaps

partly based on the lack of ‘drive’ I see in many childless friends.

It’s called contentment 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I can believe the figure, although I reckon ours is lower as our combined wages aren’t and weren’t megabucks. We’re in an average house. Etc.

However, lost earnings for one partner alone make up a huge amount over the course of years. Childcare is huge, too. When you get to two kids plus you can forget it being worthwhile trying to keep up two jobs.

The actual ongoing food/school/clothing/must-haves/etc bill is not that massive for us (yet). I imagine that all goes tits up around college though.

I wouldn’t swap the little monkeys for the world though.

huggis
    Free Member

I guess they are also factoring that if you have multiple sprogs you may need to shell out for a bigger house?

theocb
    Free Member

Much like the average wage figures, if you take out the big spenders/earners then the average cost for the remaining 90% will be considerably lower.

benp1

Overall cost is clearly variable, and they do cost a lot, but if you think about it in monetary terms you’ve missed the point

miketually
    Free Member

I guess they are also factoring that if you have multiple sprogs you may need to shell out for a bigger house?

Need to, or want to?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Need to, or want to?

I guess there’s another “compromise” in there too. You could be 30 and living in a 1 bed £1m* apartment in central London, living the high life. Or you could be 30 with 2 kids living in a far less glamorous 3 bed in one of the less nice suburbs (where the 1 bed flat might only be £200k but you can get a house for the £1m). So it’s only a cost if the real alternative is a 3 bed house in Belgravia.

*I put something lower, but it’s a London example so…..

finbar
    Free Member

The “lost” earnings point conveniently ignores the fact that one or other parent might actually quite like spending more or all of their time at home with their young family, rather than in an office somewhere…

richc
    Free Member

Figures seems about right to me, mine costs at least that much as nursery for for 3 days a week is ~ 10K alone.

Extras such as cots, pushchairs, clothes, childseats, nappies, wipes, carriers, books easily push the costs over 11K a year and that excludes all the social stuff and we get *a lot* of secondhand/pre-loved stuff.

Its worth it, but it is pricey; and I’m not counting the 40% pay cut for my other half and the way its ended her career.

Thing is to me, if you are looking at your child as a ‘cost’ you are missing the point; as for me you get a lot more back than you put in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The “lost” earnings point conveniently ignores the fact that one or other parent might actually quite like spending more or all of their time at home with their young family, rather than in an office somewhere…

And a childless couple might want to go ride their bikes, or sail round the world.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘I've got no kids so where's my £460k gone?’ is closed to new replies.