Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • It's Winter. What's your thermostat/heating set at? Timings?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

It’s that time again when everyone gets to show how hard as nails they are with their heating set to -5 with the windows open.

I have not set mine up yet, still off, but thinking an hour in the morning might not go amiss soon. Although I seem to have got in competition with myself to see how long I can go before it gets fired up. I should add, this is not for masochistic reasons, more financial.

Unlike most of STW, no fire/woodburner to use as well.

Some fun facts:

What is a healthy room temperature?
    The basic level of warmth required for a healthy and well-dressed person is 18°C. This standard is recognized by the World Health Organization and is the minimum standard in the latest UK cold weather plan.

Here are some basic benchmarks for indoor temperatures:

> 24°C – cardiovascular risk
    18-21°C – comfortable temperature
    18°C – minimum for comfort
    12-16°C – respiratory risk
    <12°C – cardiovascular risk

What is a typical thermostat setting?
    The average thermostat setting in the UK is 20.1°C Perhaps it’s a simple number to remember, or perhaps it just feels about right, but by far the most popular setting in a recent survey of homes was 20°C. In fact, looking at the distribution of set points below it seems clear we like round numbers, as both 15°C and 25°C seem to slightly buck the quite natural look bell curve. 30°C is also a remarkable outlier.

In the last 40 years, the average room temperature in the UK has risen considerably, largely due to the wide dispersion of central heating and improving insulation standards. Back in 1970, the average internal temperature of a home in the UK in the winter months was 12°C. Decades later this has risen to 18°C.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-room-temperature.html

Daffy

18deg here. Set to come on in the morning and evening. Set to hold 15deg when vacant through the day and 12deg at night.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I like 19C (average age of the combat soldier in Vietnam I’ve heard)

Other half likes 20C

It’s probably set to 20C

northernmatt

20deg between 6.30am – 10.30am and 4.30pm – 10.30pm

18deg through the day and 16deg at night.

Leave it like this all year, if it gets cold the boiler comes on.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Back in 1970, the average internal temperature of a home in the UK in the winter months was 12°C

When I was a kid in the 70s it wasn’t uncommon for me to have ice on the inside of my bedroom window.

Drac

Bah! Windows? We would dream of having windows.

We were lucky if we had a hole cut into our cardboard box and we were grateful for it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Gets set to 19C although thanks to the site edition wood burner I’ve resisted turning it on yet…. Getting close now though.

singletrackmind

#funsponge

Drac

#funsponge

Slightly ironic.

mmannerr

21C in air heating with 1C drop for night, 18C to 21C in rooms with thermostats (wet underfloor hesting) and fairly conservative temperature slope setting in geotherm / heating center.

oikeith

The heating is back on the timer already for an hour in the morning and 90mins in the evening, although if it feels warm in the day, ill skip the evening part manually.

Couldn’t say what temperature as since having smart meters installed the wireless stat doesn’t work and the receiver box under the boiler just has a red light illuminated all the time…

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s autumn.

Heating is still mainly off but if necessary it goes on at 19C.

northernmatt

Couldn’t say what temperature as since having smart meters installed the wireless stat doesn’t work and the receiver box under the boiler just has a red light illuminated all the time…

What make? Ours (Drayton) has a red light when it loses signal, might need pairing up again.

weeksy

Impossible to say but about 19-20… ours are weird storage type heaters that sort of work, sort of don’t, getting them to give out the temps at the actual time of day you want is next to impossible.
    The Rads themselves say 20-21…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Target temp is 18, all year. Every year.

Unfortunately, once the outdoor temp drops below -15 the efficiency of the geothermal goes through the floor, so we end up with 15-16 and the heating going almost all day.

Glad we have a couple of fires in the house, and triple glazing.

shermer75
    Free Member

Back in 1970, the average internal temperature of a home in the UK in the winter months was 12°C. 

Whaat?!?!

I do, as a kid, remember pretty much running from my bedroom to the shower because it was cold in the winter. 12° though! Average!!

andybrad

have the hall rad on max with the thermostat(nest) at 18. then drop this to 15 during the night / while out.

then limit the heat in each room with a trv. most on 4/5 so unlikly to trip out as thats anywhere between 17 and 25 degc afaik?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I live in a house with two foot thick stone walls and virtually no insulation.
    We have to keep the heating on pretty much constantly from October to March. 19 degrees for an hour in the morning and from 4 till 10 at night, 14 degrees the rest of the time to maintain the heat in the massive thermal mass of the walls. If you turn the heating off when it’s cold it takes hours to get the house back up to temperature again.

I have two completely seperate central heating systems, one upstairs and one downstairs to feed a shitload of radiators. Having two boilers actually makes the house easier to heat as you can zone the occupied parts of the house and heat them at different times

You would not want to pay my gas bill.

Back in 1970, the average internal temperature of a home in the UK in the winter months was 12°C.

Yep, Can easily believe that.

My parents 1950’s council house, for most of my childhood, had no heating other than a gas fire in the living room, no insulation in the walls and single glazed Crittal windows. We used to always wake up in the winter mornings with ice ferns on the windows.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No thermostat for me, cos like weeksy I still have storage heaters which are currently set to 5.75(whatever that may mean).
    If I ever join the civilised world of central heating, it’ll probably be set to 22.5°C

Dickyboy

19C, 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, TRV’s are mostly turned off upstairs. Well insulated 1980’s house & gas fired boiler only.

Grew up in large unheated houses with an Aga & open fire as only source of heat so not surprised about 12C average

footflaps

Whaat?!?!

I do, as a kid, remember pretty much running from my bedroom to the shower because it was cold in the winter. 12° though! Average!!

Shower!

We just washed in a bucket of ice!

If we were lucky we had some gravel for soap.

Drac

Gravel? Bah we would dream of gravel, we had to use broken glass.

rocketman
    Free Member

We used to dream of 12°C

Quite often woke up with the curtains frozen to the windows

johndoh
    Free Member

When I was a kid in the 70s it wasn’t uncommon for me to have ice on the inside of my bedroom window.

This

ahsat

19C but radiators only on downstairs and two towel rails upstairs. Mid terrace house so tends to keep warm during the day. If the woodburner goes on during the day as we are at home, the heating doesn’t normally kick in on an evening.

gobuchul
    Free Member

My childhood home, was an old Victorian terrace, no heating at all upstairs.

Single glazing. Solid walls, no cavity.

Ice on the bedroom window was routine.

BoardinBob

Haven’t had the heating on once yet this winter. Probably been off since March. Hoping to make it to at least December before I have to put it on.

whitestone
    Free Member

The thermostat is set at 16C but whether that’s the actual temperature throughout the house is another matter. It’s certainly colder than either my sister-in-law or mother-in-law are used to. Then again their houses feel like tropical hot houses to us. Heating comes on at 0600, off at 0730 then on again at 1630 until 2100. If we’ve been in through the day and had the heating on constant and forgotten to switch it back then we struggle to sleep.

The house I grew up in didn’t have central heating until I was in my mid 20s. My bedroom faced north and on cold nights there’d be ice on the inside of the (single glazed) window.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My new build house doesn’t drop below about 16.5 degrees with the heating off during the day (according to Hive). Its currently 16.8 and the heating hasn’t been on since 10.30 last night. Its about 8 degrees outside.

ads678

Just had a new boiler and new radiators throughout the house. Generally set to 19 degrees morning 6:30-8:30 and evening 5:30 – 10pm then 10 or 12(?) in between times.

darrell
    Free Member

We have a single heat pump heating up 2 open plan floors of ca.100m2

it’s set at 21 C at the moment

also have a wood burner for the evenings

and the other floor with the bedrooms and bathroom is heated by underfloor heatng

this is Norway btw so electricity is fairly cheap and renewable and wood burning is not a fashion accessory.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Quite often woke up with the curtains frozen to the windows

I used to wake up entombed in a block of ice.

morning and evening mine’s set to target base temps of 18C lounge, 19C Kitchen and 16C bedrooms, Think all at 14c during night. little landing rad just comes on whenever boiler is on.

stevied
    Free Member

The Rayburn only used to go on when the milk looked like this:

Nowadays it’s a constant battle with the wife… I like 18°, she likes 22°.

The new house will have a Wave thermostat so I might not be able to connect her phone to it 😈

jam-bo

thread reminded me to modify mine. netatmo smart thermostat so I’ve just done it from my desk at work and turned it down during the day.

10pm-6.30am: 17 deg
    6.30-9am: 18.5 deg
    9am-3pm: 17.5 deg
    3pm-10pm: 18.5 deg

and a different schedule for the weekends.

Yak

17 or 18 usually. And from 0630-1000 and 1500-2000. We also have a woodburning stove, I work from home, hence the longish run times on the central heating. If it’s cold I usually light the stove about 11/12ish as that’s when the residual heat from the morning’s heating has gone.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I recently got a nest fitted. Its brilliant at making you aware of how much energy you are using and how much you can save by just reducing the temp by .5 of a degree.

Mine is set at 20 and 15 when out/night.

Looking at my history the heating runs for 2-3 hours a day during the week and 4-5 hours at weekends.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is madness! Lol

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Hkgxaut00[/video]

Sandwich

19C to keep SWMBO happy.

timmys

This;

Which yesterday resulted in this;

Temps are set high at the moment as half the rads are currently removed for redecorating.

whitestone
    Free Member

‘kin’ hell! I’d be kipping on a tiled floor with those nighttime temps. Just goes to show we’re all different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘It's Winter. What's your thermostat/heating set at? Timings?’ is closed to new replies.