Home Forums Chat Forum It’s time to change the year on your headed paper. 4.5b & 24??

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • It’s time to change the year on your headed paper. 4.5b & 24??
  • thepurist

I could just go with something like A4.5B2024 for now I guess. It would stop any confusion

shrinktofit
    Free Member

No Likey?

Would it be better to add a few thousand years to the 2024 bit to take it back to a baseline of civilisation and lose even more religious focus

Mmm, A4.5B7024. I think we’re getting closer.

CountZero

I could just go with something like A4.5B2024 for now I guess. It would stop any confusion with historical records and allow for simple changes as the accuracy improves.

Anything better or are we happy with that?

No. Because it’s bloody stupid fannying around for the sake of making some sort of statement that nobody wants or gives a toss about. Other than you, obviously. 🙄 

And on the rare occasion I actually use my headed note paper, I usually write 01/24.

Just a quick point, Ukraine has recently changed its calendar to what the rest of Europe is using. They clearly place convenience over making some meaningless statement, obviously.

maccruiskeen

Would it not be more appropriate these days to have a calendar thats counting down rather than up?

And on the rare occasion I actually use my headed note paper, I usually write 01/24.

Up until today you’ve been ahead of your time :-)

maccruiskeen

Just a quick point, Ukraine has recently changed its calendar to what the rest of Europe is using.

Not quite – Ukraine has broadly been using the Gregorian Calendar / Civil calendar just like the rest of us, for centuries. It’s only certain Christian denominations in Ukraine who have also been using other calendars alongside the Civil one, but most have decided to switch to the Civil / Gregorian in the last year.

Plenty of countries have other calendars they use alongside the Civil one.

maccruiskeen

isn’t CE current era and BCE is before current era?

CE stands for Conformité Européenne and basically means your date and time doesn’t contain any chocking hazards, bendy cucumbers or consume more than 900 watts. BCE is probably something about Brexit and the measurement of time in pints. Maybe year zero should be 2016. But that ‘year’ is so far 7 years long and counting.

andrewh
    Free Member

In England certainly, but in Scotland presumably it started as Elizabeth R 71? Or perhaps Elizabeth I 71?

There’s certainly room for doubt in that system.

No, she was Elizabeth II in both Scotland and England. The convention was adopted, i forget when, it might have been for her, IIRC it was Churchill suggested it, that the monach would take the higher number of whichever country had had the nost of that name before. For example, Charles is Charles III because England had had two Charles before and Scotland none, but had he been called James he would have been James VIII, because Scotland has had seven Jameses already, which is more than England’s two.

I have no idea where Wales fits into this

You might as well decimalise time whilst you’re at it. Let us know how you get on,

The French tried that in Napoelon’s time, it didn’t go well. Apart from the fact that we have ten digits to count on a docimal number system makes so much more sense than a decimal one

sirromj
    Poopscoop

sirromj
    Still valid!!

Why have you linked back to this thread, you mad man? Now im stuck in some perpetual STW thread loop hell!

sirromj

There is this theory…

thols2

matt_outandabout

shrinktofit
    Free Member

I’m going to stick with A4.5B7024 

Earth’s formation 4.5Billion years ago as the base

A for approx

7000 allows room for a chunk of human history

24 so Count can still use his headed paper

Spread it around a bit and see if it sticks💩

ads678

But why??

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually I looked it up, it’s Common Era and rather than some modern secular thinking the earliest person to use it was Copernicus, and it was also popular with Jewish scholars.

I don’t think a billion years or 2 matters for accuracy, best guess will be fine,  removing the religious focus is more important

Why is it important to remove the religious focus?  The society you live in, in Western Europe (assuming you do), is completely intertwined with Christianity and vice versa.  It’s actually a fascinating subject.  A lot of the anti-religious types on here will admit that some of Jesus’ teachings are quite reasonable – I don’t think this is a coincidence.

In any case your system does not achieve that, you are simply sticking a few characters on the front of the Christian derived date which will never change.  If you wanted to go with the age of the earth you could start with the date of the modern radiometric date which was approx 4.55bn determined in 1956, so you could say it’s the year 4500000068.

northernsoul

There is this theory…

Time change. You lose, you gain. Makes no difference so long as you keep taking the pills.

igm

@andrewh

For example, Charles is Charles III because England had had two Charles before and Scotland none

Are you certain on that one? Both Charles I & II being Stewarts and all…

andrewh
    Free Member

Good point, it was after the union of the crwons but before the Act of Union, whoops

SaxonRider

CE stands for Conformité Européenne and basically means your date and time doesn’t contain any chocking hazards, bendy cucumbers or consume more than 900 watts. BCE is probably something about Brexit and the measurement of time in pints. Maybe year zero should be 2016. But that ‘year’ is so far 7 years long and counting.

Honestly, I think this may be one of the funniest things I have ever read on the internet.

CountZero

@maccruiskeen – cheers, I knew it was something like that, I just couldn’t remember the finer details. 👍🏼

24 so Count can still use his headed paper

Son, I’ll carry on using it whatever harebrained scheme you cook up – I hand write any letters I send using good old traditional technology – a fountain pen.🖋️

A lot of the anti-religious types on here will admit that some of Jesus’ teachings are quite reasonable

One might even go so far as to say ‘woke’…

mattyfez

I have an HP deskjet printer..is this going to make it more complicated when calculating my margins with A4 paper?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.