• This topic has 89 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • It's so very dusty in here. (Warning: happy sad dog story)
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Because, like many these things, it’s as interesting to read something that you have no interest in, as it is to read something that you have lots of interest in

Are you sure about that.

Sound like a load of crap to be honest.

I find I things I’m interested in……. Interesting.

Things I’m not interested in…… Far less interesting.

It’s pretty simple really.

Pyro

Non pet owners, it seems to me, like to forget that humans are animals too. Our emotions are not “special” or exclusive to our species.

In a way, they are, as is our ability to convey them, suppress them, and disguise them.

a learnt behaviour that earns the ‘creature’ a meal ticket.

Is that really so different to a human?[/quote]

Yes, because our learning doesn’t have to be experiental. It is, in early life, but we develop the ability to learn from others mistakes, and from theoretical, hypothetical mistakes. We don’t have to make them ourselves.

myti
    Free Member

Booing my eyes out now…that doggy looks like my gorgeous girl

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well, today looks like one of those days when Angus is allowed on the bed. #sniff#

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Non pet owners, it seems to me, like to forget that humans are animals too. Our emotions are not “special” or exclusive to our species.

Whilst this is true, I think it’s fair to say that many dog owners attribute greater intelligence to their pets than they actually possess.
    They are like us in that they are animals, but then so are iguanas.

Junkyard
    Free Member

we can learn in different ways but it does not mean we have different emotions. FWIW animals can trick and fake emotions as well but it is higher primates only iirc [ been a while since i studied it]
    Technically you are referring to classical conditioning and rule governed behaviour [ say learning the green cross code] and soem transference of function.

Of course we are more intelligent than animals and we have language to aid our learning but this fact does negate what Graham S said and does not mean animals do not have “emotions”.

Forgive the anthropomorphism hopefully you get what i mean

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are like us in that they are animals, but then so are iguanas.

Our prime minister has a weekly audience with an iguana, so I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss them.

Pyro

Forgive the anthropomorphism hopefully you get what i mean

Well put, and yes, I get what you mean. It’s the anthropomorphism that riles me regularly (my missus does the humanising thing with her cats), and it seems to be a general trait of pet owners.

GrahamS

Our prime minister has a weekly audience with an iguana

I think his name is Nick.

Pook

Kristen can be my groomer now.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘It's so very dusty in here. (Warning: happy sad dog story)’ is closed to new replies.