Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Its never nice being overtaken by full pro kit wearing wannabees..
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Especially if they are wearing team sky kit..

And to me it happens alot…but on this occasion I had to take a second glance. Was weezing up a climb in gran canaria and some dude in full sky kit, complete with black dogma came past me, this wasn’t a fat mamil however, he was absolutely flying..i didnt think it was possible to go so fast uphill

About ten min later he passes me again, this time going down the hill…and for the life of me it looked like our very own tour winner. Anyone know if hes out in Gran Canaria at the moment?

MSP

like our very own tour winner

These days, you need to narrow it down more than that.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

As of last week Thomas was still on an extended break. That’s not to say it wasn’t him doing some base miles though;)

martinhutch

He’s on Graham Norton tomorrow night, which I imagine is filmed a couple of days before, so I’d be surprised if he is in the Canaries.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sorry, that was me. I’m his body double and I need to keep in shape. Should have said hello but my South Walian accent isn’t that good, a bit Cumbrian rather than Cambrian.

molgrips
    Free Member

Happened to me in Cardiff.  Who’s that wannabe dressed in full Team Sky kit riding a top end Pinarello TT bike.. oh…  never mind..

hardtailonly

Clearly a wannabe … who wants it so much he has the full kit, gear and face mask of GT!

Poopscoop

E-bike or hidden motor? 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

On the same ride a dude passed me at an astounding rate (this time on the flat as I was taking a piss at side of road) in full bora kit with world champs jersey on..clearly not sagan though given hes no longer champ, and I assume didn’t wear the rainbow stripes out of competition anyway

But it just goes to show that unlike in the UK, some of these so called ‘wanabees’ are actually astoundingly quick riders over here.

For balance I also overtook a dude in world champs jersey on an ebike with a camelback…possibly valverde with a backpack full of epo…but he looked like he’d put on a bit of weight since his win

Jordan

A few weeks ago I was riding up a slight gradient on the cinder track near Whitby at what I thought was a reasonable pace when I was flown past by a middle aged lady wearing a cardy and skirt……….riding an ebike.

rydster
    Free Member

As of last week Thomas was still on an extended break.

Not asthma related I hope?

rydster
    Free Member

It was always my understanding that semi-serious cyclists on the continent tended to wear a mix and match of kit, at least this was true in Italy where people would rock up to group rides wearing all sorts even t-shirts.

Wearing full Sky kit in the UK certainly make me cringe a bit especially if riding some middle-class aspirational brand like Pinarello.

continuity
    Free Member

Our last team camp in Mallorca rode into a guy with a peloton who was dressed in full Sagan Bora kit, riding a Sagan venge with sworks helmet and the lot. He’d even grown the facial hair.

He didn’t find being chased down and asked how much he’d paid sylvan dilier to take a dive in the Roubaix velodrome the week before funny. Odd.

I hasten to add  that the fact that we caught him proved it wasn’t Sagan.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There’s a 1,000m climb near us that I ride from time to time, it was a stage finish on last year’s Vuelta a Cataluna. A couple of weeks before the event, I was riding up and was passed by a young guy in full Movistar kit. At the top, he was still hanging around and we started chatting about this and that. I told him about the upcoming race and he replied “I  know, I’m in it” turns out it was Marc Soler, winner of this years Paris Nice and 3rd on the race in question behind his boss Valverde and Alberto Contador.

TiRed

Luke Rowe’s Dad? I race him all the time in his sons cast offs!

taxi25
    Free Member

Courtney’s not as quick as he used to be. Even slower on a Mtb 😉

sarawak
    Free Member

I passed Sir Jiffy Bag and a few of his mates on a country lane recently.

They were going the other way!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I passed Sir Jiffy Bag and a few of his mates on a country lane recently.

I’m often riding on the lanes and hills local to him (they’re my local too) and have never seen hide nor hair.

I’d assumed he was hiding in his shed on the turbo, or rowing machine.

Haze

Upsets a few at the LVRC apparently!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wearing full Sky kit in the UK certainly make me cringe a bit especially if riding some middle-class aspirational brand like Pinarello.

It is threads like that that remind me how much roadies can get up their own arses for aero advantage…

I’d expect a push for a fitness and aspiration test before any bike purchase would be welcomed and a small explosive device to trigger if the bike was ridden outside of the parameters dictated.

rilem

Kristofer Halvorson passed us 2 days ago in Gran Canaria, effortlessly.   GT is in China I think.

sarawak
    Free Member

I’m often riding on the lanes and hills local to him (they’re my local too) and have never seen hide nor hair.

I’d assumed he was hiding in his shed on the turbo, or rowing machine.

Think I’ve seen his Sirship 3 times this year in and around Croston. He’s never invited me round for a cuppa, even though I used to race with/against his father in law!!!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Doubt it was GT as he’s been racing a ‘crit’ In China and was asking where to watch the Rugby in Shanghai yesterday on Twitter.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Its never nice being overtaken by full pro kit wearing wannabees..’ is closed to new replies.