Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • It's National Cycle To Work day!
  • bokonon
    Free Member

Yup, I rode my “commuter*” the mile to work.

*AKA pink bike, which is a pink ladies shopping bike which is too small for me, but it was free, has panniers and no one is going to nick it.

GrahamS

11 mile commute to work, as I do every day.

Didn’t notice anyone extra out, just the usual faces, but then it is a bit damp.

GrahamS

By the way, Sustrans have a Cycle To Work day competition for a chance to win a years free insurance, a Wingman Suit Bag (but not the contents sadly), or a regional map.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/article/cycle-to-work-day-competition

chakaping
    Free Member

I work from home, but I’m going to have a session on the turbo trainer in the front room at lunch.

Does that count?

camo16
    Free Member

Rode in again, as usual.

I think there might be one new bike in the office bike stands, but that’s about it.

Blindly following national ‘let’s get enthusiastic over something’ policies does not seem to be the Liverpool way. 🙂

zilog6128

Wasn’t there one of these in July as well, that was equally well publicised and was similarly a massive success in convincing people to get on their bikes? (fwiw I rode in, as I always do 🙂 didn’t see any more people than usual on bikes though)

DezB
    Free Member

Binners did! 😆

binners

I did indeed! Aren’t I good? 😀

andytherocketeer

dunno who rode in here, but the way the weather is looking, they might prefer to canoe back home, and hope they have troutie lights too.

seems kinda strange day to have a bike to work day. we have a whole 2 months (which finished the other day).

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I work from home, but went out for an hour on the road bike before I started my shift. So when I arrived at work, for work, I’d ridden there. Now where’s my cyclescheme voucher?

crankboy
    Free Member

it’s my weekly 16 hour day and had crankbrat to drop at nursery. So no I don’t fancy ridding home at 1am given the way the local taxis drive through leeds at that time. I ride in every other day though.

geoffj

😈

Nope – meetings in that London then too many hours on a train.

New bike has arrived at home though so there’ll be a road pootle tomorrow 🙂

tootallpaul

Every day is cycle to work day…

😀

Saccades
    Free Member

I did – 15 miles dressed for a crisp autumnal day.

It’s a shame it was so hot and sticky, I kept removing layers and sticking them in my thigh pockets until I looked like a legs version of popeye.

Sweated like a peado in a barney suit.

ChrisL

I rode to work today, same as I do most workdays. Come to think of it I possibly did see one or two more cyclists than I normally do, too.

annebr
    Free Member

nope but I did go for a lunchtime ride

wiggles
    Free Member

coincidentally rode to work for the first time in 5 weeks had no idea it was cycle to work day, saw a few more Lycra wearers than normal come to think of it.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I did, and do most days. Might have been maybe two more cyclists out than normal, but there was no more than usual on the train/s

rOcKeTdOg

yep,21 miles and managed to shoehorn some towpath and bridleway in on the way home

belugabob
    Free Member

I had planned one of my (infrequent) commutes to work (it is 26 miles each way, after all – with an ascent of the North Downs at the end) so, when I found out that it was cycle to work day, I had no excuse.

The weather sort of cooperated and, following the first wet muddy night ride of the autumn, I awoke to find the roads still damp from the overnight rain.

Early morning rides are ace, as you have that certain smugness which comes from knowing you’ve got up early enough to have the roads pretty much to yourself.

Just as it was getting light, I flushed an owl off his perch at the side of a quiet lane, and he rewarded my efforts by flying alongside me for a while (you don’t get that on the motorway)

The other bonuses of the day was that I found an alternative route that avoided a hill and a wait to turn right, and that quite a few of the roads on my route have been resurfaced with ultra smooth tarmac – yippee!

Just wish I worked nearer, so I could do it more often.

Northwind

Didn’t see anyone else on the roads but did have a hard time getting parked at work, bikes everywhere- cycle to work day sucks balls 🙁

One of my colleagues decided to ride in. 20 miles, not been on a bike in 10 years, got halfway to the office before she gave up and called a taxi to take her home, then called in sick 😆 Got to admire the attempt.

pondo

I did – 95 miles done today, half three alarm for a half seven start this morning, finished at half three this afternoon and home about half seven. Tired. But got a KOM, so it’s all worthwhile.

One of my colleagues decided to ride in. 20 miles, not been on a bike in 10 years, got halfway to the office before she gave up and called a taxi to take her home, then called in sick Got to admire the attempt.

Made my day. 🙂

takisawa2

I walked home with a set of forks.
    Does that count…

edlong
    Free Member

One of my colleagues decided to ride in. 20 miles, not been on a bike in 10 years, got halfway to the office before she gave up and called a taxi to take her home, then called in sick Got to admire the attempt.

I like that a lot.

Commuted as usual (via school with a cycling 7 year old) and if anything the roads seemed quieter with regard to cyclists (weather’s been okay here). Perhaps the problem was the unfortunate scheduling clash with national “Drive like a nob” day, or was that just a Leeds thing today?

TiRed

Yes, as per every day. First ride of autumn in bib 3/4 roubaix and a thermal jacket. A bit too toasty. And the best bike will now be hibernating. Commuted on the fixed road bike with full guards.

On the plus side, i bought a Topeak defender iglow for winter group riding on the race bike. It lasted 5 min before being moved to Son2’s bike 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘It's National Cycle To Work day!’ is closed to new replies.