Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • It’s a sin
  • lunge

Wondered if anyone else watched.
    Great acting, brilliant writing and a seriously good soundtrack.
    Well worth a watch on catchup if you missed it.

lister

Yep, it was excellent. We really enjoyed it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

seriously good soundtrack

I may well give it a watch just for this.  The trailer looked good but I wondered whether I would find it all OTT and irritating

Sandwich

Fabulous acting and story. Neil Patrick Harris

Spoiler:
    dying isolated and shunned by the hospital staff

resonated with me.

Cougar

Let me spoiler tag that for you, some three posts in. If you guys want to do that then yell and we’ll edit the thread title to warn folk.

colournoise

Zoe loved the first episode. I was dipping in and out. RTD by numbers, so still decent enough but nothing amazing from the bits I saw. Shame they didn’t keep NPH in it a bit longer as he was knowingly magnificent.

Sandwich

Thanks @Cougar. Written while tired after a solid week of commuting in the cold, apologies to anyone for whom I messed it up.

lunge

Soundtrack is on Spotify, https://open.spotify.com/user/u9rlagqf92ksf7uvk666a6t1p/playlist/15Qouu2pquUEqtqr5nmVNy?si=L06BBUVkQ1qQwQedXHwQow

The reaction in Twitter has been quite a hard read. So many touching stories of friends lost in the AIDS pandemic, so many tough stories of people coming out.

Danny79
    Free Member

#itsasin was trending last night including this thread that’s a powerful eye-opener.
    https://twitter.com/PatrickStrud/status/1352734365428690944?s=19
    Will definitely look up the series.

lunge

There have been a few very hard to read tweets in this show.
    You firstly forget that it was only 15 or 20 years ago, not that long ago at all.
    Then someone tweeted that AIDS is why you don’t see many older gay men, they basically all died.
    This tweet too is so sad.

leffeboy

https://twitter.com/PatrickStrud/status/1352734365428690944?s=19

Good thread that.  Sometimes twitter isn’t so toxic

project
    Free Member

Watched it with anticipation that it may well be a failure, but it wasnt, hugely funny serious, cry times,but so real and real peoples stories all internmixed into a huge pot.

Add in the 70/80,s music and the speed editing and its an absolute classic of tv, and another 4 or 5 episodes to watch as well.

Sadlly it was seen by media as a gay disease, thats until women and babies caught it, and it was discovered it was in blood imported from america and used in transfusions,the media suddenly changed track.

Just be aware the sex scenes are quite awkward if watching with parents/older people who read the daily mail.

THere are some interesting interviews with RTD and the cast on Youtube as well.

Houns

Oh I’d forgotten about this, thanks for the reminder, shall watch later today

project
    Free Member

Just finished re watching it, a great piece of drama based on real fact not many people where aware of at the time, due to the medias protrayal of that illness only supposed to be infecting certain people in society, great music and acting, and all episodes available on ALL4

longdog
    Free Member

Just on to episode 3 and loving it. I guess been a teenager then adds to it.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I remember the Sun making fun of Freddie Mercury’s weight as he was dying.

theotherjonv

Ken Clarke’s seen as a lovely old Tory acting as the moderate control to some of his wilder colleagues and in some ways he is, but don’t forget how as Health Secretary he lied to parliament about the risks from contaminated blood, and is still continuing to mislead campaigners over what they knew.

He was also the Health sec at the time when they enacted legislation to prevent people from leaving hospital confinement because of the risk of spreading the disease. Could never happen now, of course.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Watched a bit in-between working, I never realised Allan Partridge was gay. Looked good from what I saw.

It’s a shame that with many of these programs those who could most do with watching them to gain some empathy will not.

If you like tear jeeking AIDS programs watch Dallas Buyer’s Club. American POV and set slightly later but brilliant no the less.

longdog
    Free Member

In the end we binged it and watched it all last night. Brilliant in so many ways and so sad too.

It’s quite amazing the way that you really hear nothing about AIDS anymore in the media other than occasionally in some African countries when it was such a massive concern here with all those adverts on the TV etc. the threats to jobs and families, no insurance z mortgage etc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Like others I’m amazed by the way AIDS is seldom mentioned.
    I know more people living with HIV and knew more people who succumbed to AIDS than the dozen or so I know with COVID infection and none of them have died.
    In the business and social circles I moved it was always there. And then suddenly the death rate and the management of HIV stopped the headlines.

Houns

Watched the first episode last night, really enjoyable, shame about you know who as I like him as a person and actor, I would’ve liked to have seen more of him in this series

derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and Mrs. S burned through 4 eps last night.

Really very good.

Reflected a little of what we’re going through at the moment as regards ignorance and denial.

THe guy from Years and Years is very good.

Some harrowing scenes. Well done to RTD and team.

project
    Free Member

Great forwarding address at the end,and thats tame compared to the rest of the episode, may offend , with a naughty word.

Sandwich

May have to institute the farewell from the squat for sign off on this thread.

La!

Sandwich

Got as far as episode 4 tonight. You can see why Peter Tatchell doesn’t give a **** when dealing with wrongdoing. The end of 3 was a hard watch.

La!

project
    Free Member

Watched episode 2 lst night and that was a difficult one, great use of a steadicam for the walky talking ranting bit, OLiie was excellent, and loved how they made Water street Liverpool into New York, with some CGI as well as the Saville row Tailors exit, they used the town hall, castle street for that bit.

“SHES WEARING RUBBER GLOVES, SHES WEARING RUBBER GLOVES” summed up the fear some had at the time, similar to present covid fears nowadays from a lot of people.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah really good. Even I got teary eyed and Im largely an emotional void.

I’ve decided to be more like Jill when it comes to my friends as she’s like a Goddess. I found out today that her character is based on the woman who actually plays her mum

fingerbang
    Free Member

Some of the locations are interesting. Never knew of Clampdown records on Paton st Manchester where they lived.

Plus I thought the protest was definitely filmed in London but it was Le Mans crescent in Bolton! Never seen Bolton passed off as London before

I think the pub scenes are mostly star and garter. Apparently filming at Bernard Manning’s embassy club too

project
    Free Member

Watched episode 3 last night, and it was heart-breaking, even though its fiction, on the tv, it probably happened to a lot of families out there, so sad, well done to RTD and all the actors and behind the camera people for bringing such stories to life.

LA…..

Sandwich

Well all seen here. All of us here (3) had a bit of a sniffle at the end of episode 5.
    It was set outside of my comfy existence but a fabulously conceived and executed drama.

La!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Watched episode 2 last night really good. I think I will go back and watch episode 1 as I was in and out of the room last time. Good to see there is some good TV still made. Stories to make you think.

eskay

A gay friend of mine (who was in early 20s during that era) said it was incredibly frightening time.

project
    Free Member

All the episodes are on channel 4s player on the internet 4 play.

sc-xc

Just finished it. Amazing, we all need to be like Gill. Lots of tears.

convert

Just watching the last episode. Blimey this is good. My life found me running in circles to witness the impact first hand. I grew up from ignorant naive teen in a school ground full of (in hindsight) shocking language and attitudes of which I was undoubtedly part to being completely immersed within a world where it was very real in the space of 4 or 5 years.

It brings it all back. Shocking all over again.

fasthaggis

La!

convert

La!

househusband

Superb, and after only two episodes this evening.

The change from the first episode when it was referred to as GRID and then in episode 2 as AIDS struck a chord with me, not sure why.

malv173
    Free Member

Just watched the third episode. It’s a very well made bit of telly. And yes, a someone pointed out above, plenty of issues that are being played out during this pandemic.

There was definitely someone peeling onions in our living room tonight. If imagine they’ll be back over the final two episodes.

convert

If imagine they’ll be back over the final two episodes.

Oh yes they will. Last episode just ended. Shot through.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘It’s a sin’ is closed to new replies.