Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • IT Sales people…where are you ?
  • rickmeister

Mrs Rickmeisters company director has just signed a big piece of work with a large corporation in America. On the back of this, they are now looking for a Sales person to follow this success and prospect for more business…

Where should they be looking to find someone in the States? Ideally Chemical / Manufacturing / Shift Operations backgrounded and independent / self employed in the first instance…

Any website , forums, Linkedin buzzwords or groups to start the search process ?

Whats good to advertise the position or attract interest ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well, I feel slightly robbed. I’m an IT sales person, but I don’t have that background or live in the US.

In answer to your thread name – Cardiff.

In answer to your content, San Fran I guess, they’ll cost you a fortune and leave you the very millisecond there’s something better offered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Software or hardware, Pjay?

ade9933
    Free Member

I think they are all on linkedin connecting to me.

Moses

Mrs RM’s boss needs to do some research.
    Where are his new client’s competitors based?
    Are there any clusters or are they evenly spread across the US?

Are there applications in similar industries or it the product very specific?

P-Jay
    Free Member

@molgrips – whatever I can lay my hands on. I’ve got a overly grand title of “IT Consultant”. Work in SME market so lots of of tower servers, van loads of PCs, AV, encryption solutions, mail filtering etc. Occasionally we get some cool jobs speccung stuff for unusual applications.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cloud affecting your business (yet)?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @moses says – where in the US and is it a national role ?

Secondly if the role is to find more clients like the recently signed one why not ask them if they have any recommendations ?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Worked for two large US Erp vendors and my experience of US sales people at the top end is they are really good at their jobs – this guy is exceptional Darren Davis from the Denver region https:// http://www.linkedin.com/in/darrendavis

He has the relevant background – that’s about a £15k recruitment fee avoided

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

If you can get him you are very very fortunate

rickmeister

Bookmarked, thanks for the comments.

The company they have contracted to have 14 Manufacturing locations including Canada and Australia. All in chemical production, running 24/7.

The award winning software is well established in Europe with chemical / pharma / food / Swiss national grid applications, works with SAP and very bespoke for each client…

It’s the first client in the U.S. As development based on Central Europe success….

Any other tips greatly received.
    P-jay, UK is another untapped market…. The company were looking in the UK too but it stalled due to being a new market with no prior clients, so a standing start ….

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The guy I mentioned has worked with SAP in the US and Europe

P-Jay
    Free Member

@molgrips

Yeah, to various degrees – “cloud” seems to be a buzz word with a lot of our clients, some want to put all their data in the cloud, some want to run cloud servers instead of local ones – frankly it usually call comes crashing down when I have to explain whats involved and the costs – for example most of our clients are in Cardiff, Newport or Swansea, most of business areas of Cardiff and Newport aren’t yet fibre enabled and in some places bandwidith is really terrible – in the Docks area you might only see 2-3meg on a good day so any real cloud solution is out unless they will stomach a couple of grand to install a lease line and £500 a month for it, or there abouts.

One of the best changes to ‘cloud’ for us though was 365, I think we adapted better than most other local IT Support providers, but it still manged to sneak up on us – when SBS got pulled for a while we were searching around for old stock licenses and even trying to convince clients they needed to pay £4k-£5k for their own Exchange Server and frankly it was stupid and short-sighted. I’ve said on STW a few times words to the effect of “Do what Microsoft want you to do or you’ll suffer in the future in ways you cannot yet imagine” and I stock by that – moving clients to the 365 ‘cloud’ platform gives the more reliable e-mails, a pile of new useful tools like Skype for Business and removing exchange from physical servers means we can sell smaller, cheaper boxes that work faster than their old SBS boxes.

Frankly the biggest barrier to ‘cloud’ is that everything seems to be on a lease payment model now and some clients don’t like it – in fairness they’re usually the ones who bought a single Office 2010 license 5 years ago and have installed it 20 times.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘IT Sales people…where are you ?’ is closed to new replies.