Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Will we get 11 speed SLX?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any time soon?

pigyn
    Free Member

You need one of those OEM bike speccing dudes that float around these parts..

ahwiles
    Free Member

Might as well wait for 12 speed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pigyn
    Free Member

DON’T MENTION THE EAGLE

sillyoldman

Latest SLX was released a year after the XT M780 group, so I’d be surprised if there isn’t 11spd SLX for 2017.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Two things that are worth having…XT cassettes (if you have an alu freehub) and XT shifters (really, the 11 speed XT shifter is much better than my slx one).

So once you decide you want those, you may as well go with a full XT setup.

tom200

XT is so cheap now, not much point in slx (no that’s there is much wrong with it). Why drink Stella when you can have leffé.

shermer75
    Free Member

When we learn to behave ourselves

Northwind

TBH I’m hoping for some more shifters with nicer feel… None of the 11 speed is as nice as Saint 10 🙁 The cassettes will weigh a ton though…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

XT for £157 (NW ring on existing cranks) is so cheap why bother with SLX?

Sam

Almost certainly, but agree with Mosey. An XT upgrade is really pretty affordable if you must have 11.

cookeaa

It’s less about the aftermarket and more about OEM kit.

At the moment 10speed SLX vs 11speed XT provides a nice clean differentiator between mid and higher price point complete bikes…

So the OEMs would probably like to hold SLX 11speed back until at least this winter, as it helps make those XT spec’d off the peg bikes that bit more desirable…

looking at “Dynasis” and clutched mechs as a recent examples, the filter down from XTR, to XT and then all the way down to Deore only seems to take a couple of years, shimano know that low-mid price point matters more in terms of market share. So rapid filter down is more in their interest… I reckon the rumours and “spy shots” will be deployed in the next couple of months, even if you can’t buy it before October…

kelvin

Zee like shifters and mechs would be a more interesting 11spd development for me.

spyke85
    Free Member

SLX is no longer on the Shimano site…

njee20
    Free Member

looking at “Dynasis” and clutched mechs as a recent examples, the filter down from XTR, to XT and then all the way down to Deore only seems to take a couple of years

Dynasis was just the name for 10 speed basically, and Shadow Plus was introduced on XT first, but I know what you mean.

cokie

SLX is no longer on the Shimano site..

Yes it is. The whole range from M660 to M670 is on there. Look HERE

scandal42
    Free Member

I have always preferred SLX cranks to XT due to the fact they don’t look 5 years old after 3 rides.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Judging by the trickle down effect of Shimano 105 now being 11 speed for the road then you can probably expect SLX to be 11 speed for 2017 I’d say.

spyke85
    Free Member

Hmmm, so it is.

Interesting it is not in the MTB drop down menu at the top though which is what I was going off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But weirdly, dual control is (in that screenshot).

I’d presume zee would disappear if SLX went 1×11, as all it was really was a short cage slx mech for 1×10.

Having said that Saint doesn’t really have a SRAM equivalent either so it might live on as a cheaper/lighter Saint.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I’d presume zee would disappear if SLX went 1×11, as all it was really was a short cage slx mech for 1×10.

Short cage Deore, even. Zee kit has always been a step down from SLX, and the short cage struggles with 40, never mind 42.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dual Control in this case is Acera shifter and brake units like this –

Not Dual Control like you are thinking of where one lever blade does braking and shifting.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@spyke85 two listings for XT and none for SLX leads me to think it’s a website error rather than anything else. (I know there’s two for XTR, but one’s manual and ones electric).

Personally, I don’t really care about another gear, but I would like one of those massive 1st gears so I can stick a bigger gear one the front. I don’t care too much about the gap between them

kelvin

The Zee mech is nothing like the SLX one, it’s stronger, snappier, and works with a different gear range.

The Zee shifter is nothing like the SLX one, in fact I much prefer it.

Room for both, especially if 11spd SLX ends up feeling even more like 11spd XT/XTR, and even less like Saint and Zee.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s also two XT groupsets P-Jay, MTB and Touring. Touring gets these beauties –

tang
    Free Member

I just want a road mech with a clutch please.

jekkyl

why do they bother with names for the groupsets? it just makes it very confusing for newbies. Why not call the best they offer simply 1 and then 2nd best 2. that’d be far too simple.

honourablegeorge

Mister P – Member

….one lever blade does braking and shifting.

It’s just a crazy idea, isn’t it? Look at it there, written down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why do they bother with names for the groupsets? it just makes it very confusing for newbies. Why not call the best they offer simply 1 and then 2nd best 2. that’d be far too simple.

You could call them

5000,6000 and 7000, then the new versions could be 7100 etc. Then you could add in some codes for brakes, shifters etc. So then you could just go into a shop and order Shimano part number RD-M8000 which is far easier and snappier than just buying an XT mech? Surprised nonones thought of it before.

Northwind

kelvin – Member

The Zee mech is nothing like the SLX one, it’s stronger

TBH most of the points of failure are SLX parts. The cage is more or less old Saint but ime that basically meant the weak SLX parts had a stiffer lever attached to them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Will we get 11 speed SLX?’ is closed to new replies.