Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • IT Question: Would this work ? usb to rj45
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I want to access a Sky Router with no USB port. With a PC/Laptop that has no RJ45 port.

So for the tiny outlay … do reckon this would be a good work around ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-USB-to-RJ45-LAN-Cable-Extension-Extender-Adapter-Over-Cat5-RJ45-Cat6-Patch-/232263967368

Thanks.

julians
    Free Member

No

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

@Ivan
    and Drlex

Liking the last link… looks spot on 🙂

Cougar

I want to access a Sky Router

What do you mean by “access”, what are you trying to achieve?

nickdavies

The last link is micro usb unlikely to work for your laptop. You just need a usb to rj45 adapter loads about. I recommend the anker ones. Use one daily with my macbook.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or more specifically, a “USB ethernet adapter”, aka a “USB NIC”.

An RJ45 plug could be used for a variety of different things.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yes, USB Ethernet adapter basically. They’re typically a bit bulkier (and will run hot to the touch often). They have to convert USB protocol to Ethernet.

The first links are just converting USB wire to RJ45 wire, but it’s USB protocol going through cat5, hence come in pairs to convert RJ45 back to USB socket. Idea is that cat5 can be run much longer lengths than USB. Similarly you can shove video through cat5 and all kinds. It’s just a cable.

If the computer supports USB 3, try to get a USB 3 Ethernet adapter. Possibly gigabit though a Sky router isn’t going to go anywhere near that fast.

p.s. you have no WiFi in the PC/laptop?

redthunder
    Free Member

@cougar

“What do you mean by “access”, what are you trying to achieve?”

The GF’s young un, plays all night on the PC/XBOX etc.

The Sky routers alleged timed schedule blocking, does not work properly 🙁

So  I thought another option be switch off WIFI on the router.  Once done you can enabled by WIFI (off) unless you connect with the laptop/pc.

I ‘am after a way to connect her phone to the router when required by a physical connection fro enabling the Wifi in the morning.

Bit of a fuss… but kids hey.

I dont like switching the router off all the time as another option.

So…

Router of by WIFI at night >> connect to Router in morning (Wire) to enable for others.

Phone to Router

TalkTalks old Huewai schedule worked fine….Sky router agony.

A simple Wifi ON/OFF button would be great.

Cougar

I ‘am after a way to connect her phone to the router when required by a physical connection fro enabling the Wifi in the morning.

Not gonna happen, and the first time you’ve mentioned a phone.

What I’d do, in a “first thing I’ve thought of off the top of my head” manner, is buy a separate Wi-Fi access point and plug it into the Sky router to create a new Wi-Fi network.  Join the required devices to it, change the password on the existing router.  Then when you want to shut off the sprog simply unplug the bugger.

(What I’d actually do is probably tell them not to do it and ground them for a year if they don’t do as they’re told rather than try to fix a behavioural problem with hardware.  Or failing that, confiscate keyboards and controllers.  But I’m not a parent so what do I know.)

ta11pau1

You know you can game offline, right? It’d be better (if they just want to block internet access during certain times) to set the rules correctly, you’ll need to set static IP’s on the devices via the router, oh and change the default admin password!

Or as cougar suggests, fix the behavioural problem and if that doesn’t work then lock the controllers/mouse away if they refuse to obey the rules.

leffeboy

Both of cougar’s suggestions are correct. The separate WiFi one is the easy one but the best solution is just to ground them as otherwise you are in trouble once they find out about 3g

martinhutch

You know you can game offline, right?

Yeh, but online gaming is the crack cocaine which keeps them up all night.

+ to separate wifi and changing all the passwords on the existing unit, with loss of controllers/mice etc if he manages to circumvent it!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘IT Question: Would this work ? usb to rj45’ is closed to new replies.