Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • IT question – three laptops, one monitor, one mouse, one keyboard
  • molgrips
    Free Member

You can get plenty of KVM switches, but they all seem to require USB cables from and to the respective devices.  Now, I have a really nice bluetooth keyboard which I’d like to keep using if possible, and also it would be rather nice not to have to plug the laptops in and out all the time.

Ideally then I’d like a KVM switch that is entirely bluetooth (except for the monitor) – as in, it can make one bluetooth keyboard and mouse look like three.  But eliminating cables on only one side of the device could still be a benefit.

Does such a thing as a wireless/bluetooth KVM switch exist?

scaled
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s pretty cool, but all the machines have to be on at the same time right?  Mostly I’d have only one switched on, I  only have one monitor.

scaled
    Free Member

As long as they’re on the same network you’ll be reet

molgrips
    Free Member

The machine to which they are actually connected had to be switched on the whole time tho.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Same brand laptops? Do they support a dock? Keyboard, mouse, monitor goes into dock, then you just connect relevant laptop to dock.

DaveP

remote desktop?

jimdubleyou

Does your keyboard support multiple device pairing?

Like this thing… https://lifehacker.com/logitech-easy-switch-keyboard-pairs-with-multiple-bluet-511070555

molgrips
    Free Member

Same brand laptops?

Nope – Lenovo W series, Macbook Pro and MS Surface Pro.

I only want to use one at once.  I don’t think the bluetooth keyboard supports multiple pairings because I’ve gone down the route of un-pairing and re-pairing all the time, and it was always necessary.

molgrips
    Free Member

OOH

https://superuser.com/questions/1047077/bluetooth-mouse-has-to-pair-everytime-for-different-device

It is possible to hack the various computers to work with the same devices… might be worth a try.

richmtb

Do they have USB-C?  Could you use a generic USB-C dock?

molgrips
    Free Member

None of them do sadly.

hols2
    Free Member

I have a fairly old USB dock plus USB switch, which works ok. Not sure about the Bluetooth though. How about a USB-Bluetooth adapter plugged into the dock? Would that allow the keyboard to switch between computers automatically?

captaingfx
    Free Member

Have a look at the Logitech K780 Keyboard + Logitech Anywhere 2s mouse.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. maybe.. that might work if I also copy the link keys as per that article.  Interesting idea.

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw that Logitech stuff, but tbh those two things both look awful in terms of use.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Have you considered using the keyboard and trackpad on the laptops?  After years messing with docks and external keyboards I ended up favouring just using the laptop in front of the monitor with extended desktop set above/below.

Still my favourite way to work with multiple screens and, for me, puts the mac trackpad in a better posiition than having it to one side of the keyboard.

dmorts

Does such a thing as a wireless/bluetooth KVM switch exist?

Not sure but as an idea could you plug a Bluetooth dongle into a USB switcher like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sharing-Switcher-Adapter-Keyboard/dp/B01CU4QD1I

Then plug all of the laptops into the switcher with the keyboard and mouse connected to the dongle. No idea if this will actually work and switching might be a bit slow. First the laptop you switch to will have to connect to the dongle, then once that’s running again the keyboard and mouse should reconnect to the dongle.

orangespyderman

At work we use Amulet Hotkey swtiches, K4u+ which switches USB & audio and I think in theory it would work with bluetooth but I’ve not tried.  It certainly manages some exotic USB keyboards that need special drivers and biometric authentication etc, and has a hot plug USB port.  Expensive, though.  Perhaps ask them if they know if it supports if you’re really after something but they are hundreds of pounds.

https://www.amulethotkey.com/products/kvm-switches/pro-km-switches/

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you considered using the keyboard and trackpad on the laptops?

That is the default option so yes of course 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

Just get rid of 2 of the laptops. What you need 3 for anyway?

tomnavman
    Free Member

Does the monitor have a USB hub in it?

I have a similar setup at home, with the bluetooth dongle (and printer / external hdd) plugged into the usb hub in the monitor. To change the laptop I’m using I then just plugin the USB & HDMI / Displayport cable and works well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just get rid of 2 of the laptops. What you need 3 for anyway?

Work PC, is high spec and some stuff only works in Windows. But it’s heavy.

Work Mac, is more portable for travelling and has much better screen when not using a monitor (but looks worse than the PC when plugged in)

Personal PC, for personal stuff.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘IT question – three laptops, one monitor, one mouse, one keyboard’ is closed to new replies.