Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IT Help please – Transferring and accessing files from old HD
  • Houns

Righteo boys and girls, your help please!

My old XP HD is currently connected to my Vista Laptop via a docking station

I can view all the file names on the HD but I cannot view any of the content (for example when I click on a picture I want to view it states “photo gallery cannot open this picture as you do not have the permission to access the file location”)

I’ve played around with the sharing and security settings. I’ve changed the owner, set the sharing up but no joy

Help please (oh and keep it in plain English 😉 )

Thanks!

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Could you not stick it back into the XP machine and change rights to allow “users” or “everyone” full control or modify? (or copy the stuff from the XP machine to a FAT formatted drive.)

Not very Vista or 7 but you need to ensure you’re running with sufficient privaleges – i.e. as an Administrator.

What ususally works for me: select the folder, right click>properties>security>
    Make sure “users” or your username is in the list. (use “add” if its not)
    Highlight the user then tick “full control” or “modify”.
    OK all the way out.
    If you take ownership, you may have to tick the “replace permissions…” box

Houns

Yep done that, doesn’t work

Can’t stick it back in the old machine as the screen is bust (tried linking it to another monitor but after the boot screen I get nothing)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Have you tried using the same username and password on the vista as on the xp machine? Try that.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

You could cheat and download a liunx “live” boot disk. Ensure has NTFS support.
    Burn to CD (or usb if cleverer).
    Boot.
    You should now be able to copy files – not sure if it is “smart” enough to honour privs but if you copy to a fat drive, so it wont matter.

Edit – i think knoppix supports NTFS

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve always found the security/ownership side of Windows confusing. A quick search on your error message/Vista throws up http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-to-take-ownership-and-full-control-permissions-of-files-and-folders-in-vista/ which looks like it might help. It looks a tad longwinded and obviously you use it at your own risk, but it might help.

I don’t know whether you could do this at the level of the drive and have it cascade down.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

PJay – Member

ownership
    level
    cascade down.

You are my boss, and I claim my five pounds.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading the bulls**it bingo thread 😳

Houns

Thanks PJay

Followed it all through again and I cannot access my pix or music (which is all I want to do) 😡

Cougar

Is it only whining when you try to view the files? What happens if you try to copy them instead?

Houns

Cougar…I was just trying that…Seems to have worked with the Pix, fingers crossed for the music which I’m doing now!

Houns

Looks like copying the files has worked!

Thank you all 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IT Help please – Transferring and accessing files from old HD’ is closed to new replies.